Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat[_9_] Pat[_9_] is offline

Default New Shed

On Sun, 14 May 2017 13:22:46 -0700 (PDT), Kate
wrote:

I am trying to find some answers as it relates to having an 8 x 8’ wood shed built in my back yard.

When I moved into my home 12 years ago, I had a hot tub and concrete slab removed. This is where I would like to install the new shed.
The hot tub had a 50 amp 240 volt dedicated circuit hooked up to this hot tub. I had a qualified electrician disconnect this circuit, and the fuses are turned off on the electrical/fuse box. This circuit would need to be turned back on if someone ever decided to add a hot tub in that spot again. I also have a key that would need to be used in order to activate that circuit. The electrician capped off that circuit.

My question is: can I safely hire someone to build a shed over this dead circuit/conduit? Is it safe? I do know how deep the conduit
is underneath the ground or how deep the shed foundation would have to be dug into the ground.

Unfortunately this electrician has retired.

I am hoping this makes sense and that someone can help.

Thank you!

Kate

No way to know for sure, but I bet you can find that "capped" off line
without too much work. It might be only a few inches down. If I were
you, I would connect it to an outlet in the new shed, so I can used if
needed. It can be split into 120 volt circuits for lighting or a
regular outlet to use for battery chargers for cordless tools, etc.