Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flatten lumber

I have a 2 x 4' piece of underlayment lumber.

Any way to flatten it ?

Thanks,
Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 May 2017 16:09:07 -0700 (PDT), Andy wrote:

I have a 2 x 4' piece of underlayment lumber.

Any way to flatten it ?

Thanks,
Andy

As someone else said, nail (or screw) it down. Or are you not going to use it for underlayment?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 7:09:10 PM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
I have a 2 x 4' piece of underlayment lumber.

Any way to flatten it ?

Thanks,
Andy

"underlayment lumber" What's that?

When I hear "lumber", I think of a board. (2x4, 2x8, 4x4, etc) When I hear
"underlayment" I think of sheetgoods, e.g. plywood (luan, perhaps), particle
board, maybe even MDF depending on the application.

What type of product are you asking about? What are you going to do with
it/why do you need to flatten it?

A piece of luan underlayment could be "flattened" by attaching it to
a frame made of "lumber". ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a 2 x 4' piece of underlayment lumber.

Any way to flatten it ?

Thanks,
Andy

A board bender. Next to board stretchers on Aisle 7.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/7/2017 11:05 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 7:09:10 PM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
I have a 2 x 4' piece of underlayment lumber.

Any way to flatten it ?

Thanks,
Andy

"underlayment lumber" What's that?

When I hear "lumber", I think of a board. (2x4, 2x8, 4x4, etc) When I hear
"underlayment" I think of sheetgoods, e.g. plywood (luan, perhaps), particle
board, maybe even MDF depending on the application.

What type of product are you asking about? What are you going to do with
it/why do you need to flatten it?

A piece of luan underlayment could be "flattened" by attaching it to
a frame made of "lumber". ;-)

OK. Italian builder was building a house and sent his brother to the
lumber yard to buy 2X4's. The yards man asked the brother how long he
wanted them. Brother said he'd ask the builder. He comes back and
says, "We want them a long time. We building a house."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 10:05:38 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 7:09:10 PM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
I have a 2 x 4' piece of underlayment lumber.

Any way to flatten it ?

Thanks,
Andy

"underlayment lumber" What's that?

When I hear "lumber", I think of a board. (2x4, 2x8, 4x4, etc) When I hear
"underlayment" I think of sheetgoods, e.g. plywood (luan, perhaps), particle
board, maybe even MDF depending on the application.

What type of product are you asking about? What are you going to do with
it/why do you need to flatten it?

A piece of luan underlayment could be "flattened" by attaching it to
a frame made of "lumber". ;-)

I want to make a small shelf with it.

Underlayment is a plywood that is 1/8 inch thick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 5:18:09 PM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 10:05:38 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 7:09:10 PM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
I have a 2 x 4' piece of underlayment lumber.

Any way to flatten it ?

Thanks,
Andy

"underlayment lumber" What's that?

When I hear "lumber", I think of a board. (2x4, 2x8, 4x4, etc) When I hear
"underlayment" I think of sheetgoods, e.g. plywood (luan, perhaps), particle
board, maybe even MDF depending on the application.

What type of product are you asking about? What are you going to do with
it/why do you need to flatten it?

A piece of luan underlayment could be "flattened" by attaching it to
a frame made of "lumber". ;-)

I want to make a small shelf with it.

Underlayment is a plywood that is 1/8 inch thick.

1/8 material seems too thin for a shelf that would be expected to hold much of anything.

Perhaps if you gave us some more details, we could offer something useful.

For now, I'll go back to my original thought. Make a frame and attach the plywood to
that. A 1/8" thick shelf is going to need a lot of support anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 5:18:09 PM UTC-4, Andy wrote:

Underlayment is a plywood that is 1/8 inch thick.

Not so.

While it is true that 1/8" plywood is often used as underlayment,
"underlayment" is not any specific size or type of material.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underlayment

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Flooring-un...ing/4294418636
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a 2 x 4' piece of underlayment lumber.

Any way to flatten it ?

Thanks,
Andy
Nail it down.

The real answer is probably put it in a container large enough to pump
steam around it for a couple of hours, take it out and bend the hot
board and clamp to let it dry and set. Seen it done for making
furniture but who in their right mind does it for a 2X4? Easier to buy
a straight piece.

You must not buy much lumber.

Straight flat pieces are the exception.

Andy

That would depend on where you buy your lumber.

Allow me to quote from an article I ran across just last night:

"Beginners often start by perusing the limited options available at
home centers but are eventually drawn to the greater variety and quality
available at lumberyards and specialty hardwood stores."

Then there's mail order, Craigslist, reclaimed wood dealers, etc.

If you are serious about woodworking, don't limit yourself by shopping
where the crap is sold. I've built projects from red oak that I've bought
on-line, reclaimed Douglas Fir that I found on Craigslist, etc. All
perfectly straight.

I still have a bunch of the reclaimed Doug fir that was used to build
this bed. Not a warped or twisted board in the lot. Some pieces were over
16' long and perfectly flat.

http://i.imgur.com/80jaux9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GTDm9VG.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 5:14:00 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 5:18:09 PM UTC-4, Andy wrote:

Underlayment is a plywood that is 1/8 inch thick.

Not so.

While it is true that 1/8" plywood is often used as underlayment,
"underlayment" is not any specific size or type of material.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underlayment

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Flooring-un...ing/4294418636

You need to tell that to Home Depot as that is what it is labelled as.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Most wood is air dried instead of kiln dried.

Kiln dried wood has around 6% moisture as opposed to 15% moisture for air dried wood.

Higher moisture content = more warpage.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 5:01:48 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I'll go with a frame made of 2x2 inch wood.

Shelf will support a DVR which weighs less than 5 lbs.

If wood was flat I could use simple shelf brackets.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 11:42:04 PM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
[...]

Or you could just go get a flat board or a flat piece of anything.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If you are using that higher math to support your claim that "Straight
flat pieces are the exception" I still say you are shopping for your wood
in all the wrong places.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 11:37:05 PM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 5:14:00 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 5:18:09 PM UTC-4, Andy wrote:

Underlayment is a plywood that is 1/8 inch thick.

Not so.

While it is true that 1/8" plywood is often used as underlayment,
"underlayment" is not any specific size or type of material.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underlayment

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Flooring-un...ing/4294418636

You need to tell that to Home Depot as that is what it is labelled as.

Andy

Not my job.

Besides, I don't use Home Depot's labeling as my go-to source for definitions.
They call lots of things "underlayment" and you know what? If you use the
Material drop down on this page, they don't even list "wood" as a choice
for an underlayment material, yet they label one of their wood sheet goods
as such.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Flooring-.../N-5yc1vZcdtw/