Posted to rec.woodworking
mttt

Default do I flatten/uncurl PSA veneer first?

I'm a veneer newbie and picked up a small (1x8') roll of 10mil paperpacked
PSA white oak veneer. I wanted to try it out before I placed a larger order.
It came rolled up, in a tight curl.

I've searched the web and can't really find any advice on flattening PSA
veneer.
Could someone help and lend some advice please?

Should I use a softening agent like glycerin and water before unrolling and
sticking it to a substrate?
Or will this destroy the paperbacking?

Do I just simply roll it out and the paper will prevent/limit cracking?

Thank you!

Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

mttt wrote:
I'm a veneer newbie and picked up a small (1x8') roll of 10mil
paperpacked PSA white oak veneer. I wanted to try it out before I
placed a larger order. It came rolled up, in a tight curl.

I've searched the web and can't really find any advice on flattening
PSA veneer.
Could someone help and lend some advice please?

Should I use a softening agent like glycerin and water before
unrolling and sticking it to a substrate?

No
____________

Or will this destroy the paperbacking?

Doubt it but there is no need. Your veneer piece is not all warpy, just
set in a curl from being rolled up.
______________

Do I just simply roll it out and the paper will prevent/limit
cracking?

That's what I always did (been decades though)...roll out and weight
down. Maybe lightly reverse roll it. Shouldn't even need spritzing.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"mttt" wrote in message
nk.net...
I'm a veneer newbie and picked up a small (1x8') roll of 10mil paperpacked
PSA white oak veneer. I wanted to try it out before I placed a larger
order. It came rolled up, in a tight curl.

I've searched the web and can't really find any advice on flattening PSA
veneer.
Could someone help and lend some advice please?

Should I use a softening agent like glycerin and water before unrolling
and sticking it to a substrate?
Or will this destroy the paperbacking?

Do I just simply roll it out and the paper will prevent/limit cracking?

Thank you!

Follow this link and scroll to the bottom of the page. At the bottom of the
page is a box filled with links with answers to all kinds of veneer
questions.
http://www.joewoodworker.com/catalog/

Glue for shop-made veneer [email protected] Woodworking 3 April 8th 05 09:09 PM
Experiences hammer veenering? Paul Kierstead Woodworking 14 March 22nd 04 06:34 PM
Help gluing veneer to kitchen cabinets Pierre David Woodworking 8 March 8th 04 09:00 PM
European Oak Veneer John Woodworking 0 January 18th 04 01:21 AM
Solid wood, veneer over mdf or plywood Rich Zellmer Woodworking 3 January 6th 04 02:28 PM