Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing closet shelf

I am trying to remove this shelf from my closet. There are no visible nails or
screws so I'm assuming it's glued in. Any ideas for getting it out without
damaging the rest of the closet? I don't mind leaving the wood supports in but
I need the shelf out. There is wood at both ends and drywall at the back and
it's sitting on wood supports. All are painted but not painted together.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/99

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Hbnh" m wrote in message
I am trying to remove this shelf from my closet. There are no visible nails
or
screws so I'm assuming it's glued in. Any ideas for getting it out without
damaging the rest of the closet? I don't mind leaving the wood supports in
but
I need the shelf out. There is wood at both ends and drywall at the back
and
it's sitting on wood supports. All are painted but not painted together.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/99

Very unlikely it is glued, very likely it is nailed. Whack up with a hammer
near the ledger boards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/3/17 2:22 PM, dadiOH wrote:
"Hbnh" m wrote in message
I am trying to remove this shelf from my closet. There are no visible nails
or
screws so I'm assuming it's glued in. Any ideas for getting it out without
damaging the rest of the closet? I don't mind leaving the wood supports in
but
I need the shelf out. There is wood at both ends and drywall at the back
and
it's sitting on wood supports. All are painted but not painted together.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/99

Very unlikely it is glued, very likely it is nailed. Whack up with a hammer
near the ledger boards.

Or use a prybar like this to pry the shelf away from the supports

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-1...515K/100093815
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hbnh wrote:
I am trying to remove this shelf from my closet. There are no visible
nails or
screws so I'm assuming it's glued in. Any ideas for getting it out without
damaging the rest of the closet? I don't mind leaving the wood supports
in but
I need the shelf out. There is wood at both ends and drywall at the back
and
it's sitting on wood supports. All are painted but not painted together.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/99

Like others have said, it is either forced in a tight area, nailed, or
glued. If you do not need to save the shelf, why not cut it in half
with a saw and it may be easier to remove.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ken, Huh? I'm Confused wrote:
+1 Other than removing the closet walls, that's about the only way. If it IS
nailed, and you can't get it out by prying upwards around the edges, cut ALL
the way through in the center (two cuts if you have to so you have TWO pieces
of shelf before you start banging away) and then gently start banging downward
which will, hopefully, prevent the shelf from digging into the drywall as the
nails come out.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...f-1130964-.htm