Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I remove this shelf in my closet??

Hi we just bought a new home and don't like the organization in our
master closet. I am trying to remove the shelves so I lower them and
then add another shelving system up above. I have already removed the
brackets and clothes hanging bar. The shelf is nailed down to a support
piece of wood. I am trying to get this done before my husband gets home
so he doesn't get after me for starting it. How do I remove the
shelf without messing it or the closet walls up??? Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

emaalyon spake thus:

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)
Posted to alt.home.repair

emaalyon spake thus:

Hi we just bought a new home and don't like the organization in our
master closet. I am trying to remove the shelves so I lower them and
then add another shelving system up above. I have already removed the
brackets and clothes hanging bar. The shelf is nailed down to a support
piece of wood. I am trying to get this done before my husband gets home
so he doesn't get after me for starting it. How do I remove the
shelf without messing it or the closet walls up??? Thanks!

Hit the shelf with a hammer from below near the edges where it's nailed
to the support.

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"emaalyon" wrote in message
ups.com...

Hi we just bought a new home and don't like the organization in our
master closet. I am trying to remove the shelves so I lower them and
then add another shelving system up above. I have already removed the
brackets and clothes hanging bar. The shelf is nailed down to a support
piece of wood. I am trying to get this done before my husband gets home
so he doesn't get after me for starting it. How do I remove the
shelf without messing it or the closet walls up??? Thanks!

The simplest solution is to loosen the nails
-- best done by hammering upwards on a strut.
The strut is a strong piece of scrap wood (say
2" each way) long enough that, fitted under the
shelf at one end, you can see the lower end
well enough to hammer it upwards. When the
nails loosen by 1/4 inch, you can probably lever
underneath with a table knife or claw end of
a hammerhead, until you can remove the shelf.

This should leave the supports exposed without
damage. Then you can decide whether you want
to keep vertical or horizontal supports or both.
If you want to remove them, the support system
is probably either:
(a) if free-standing, screwed into plastic anchors
in the wallboard. I.e. you remove the support by
unscrewing the screws.
(b) otherwise the support system is probably
three sides of a box, that fits tightly enough in
the cupboard to stand up by itself. Detect
whether nails or screws hold it together and
remove them as best you can.

If the results leave ugly holes from screw plugs
or something similar, these can easily be patched
by "drywall compound," sold in tubs (large or
small) at hardware stores. You fill the hole, let
it dry, then sand the lump smooth. Sand very
gently because wallboard is covered by paper
and you do not want to tear the paper.

For final finish, the patched holes will be invisible
if you either paint the interior or cover it with
wallpaper.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
emaalyon spake thus:

Hi we just bought a new home and don't like the organization in our
master closet. I am trying to remove the shelves so I lower them and
then add another shelving system up above. I have already removed the
brackets and clothes hanging bar. The shelf is nailed down to a support
piece of wood. I am trying to get this done before my husband gets home
so he doesn't get after me for starting it. How do I remove the
shelf without messing it or the closet walls up??? Thanks!

Hit the shelf with a hammer from below near the edges where it's nailed
to the support.

And, to avoid marring the bottom of the shelf, place a piece of wood (or
even a junk paperback book) between the shelf and the hammer.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks a bunch everyone for the info. I got the shelves removed now I
am trying to figure out whether or not to take the support piece down
or leave it up. How would I go about taking that piece down if I
decided to do that? Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

emaalyon wrote:
Thanks a bunch everyone for the info. I got the shelves removed now I
am trying to figure out whether or not to take the support piece down
or leave it up. How would I go about taking that piece down if I
decided to do that? Thanks

Hi,
If you want to remove them, carefully look how they are held on the
wall. By nails or screws. Anyhow if removed, it'll show bare drywall
and marks. How about leaving them on and install a coat hook or
something to hang small items.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"emaalyon" wrote in news:1160597558.893944.278850
@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Thanks a bunch everyone for the info. I got the shelves removed now I
am trying to figure out whether or not to take the support piece down
or leave it up. How would I go about taking that piece down if I
decided to do that? Thanks

It may be up with nails or screws. If up with screws, they may have been
countersunk and covered. If they did a good job, you can't see them :-(
Worst case is they are nailed/screwed and glued. Not usually the case.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well the support strips were up with nails. All we did was take a pry
bar and go from the top and pry them down. Some were slightly damaged
but most were in good shape after getting them down. It didn't leave
the wall too awful either. They at least textured the wall underneath
but it just needs paint and should look good. Thanks everyone. It was a
success.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"emaalyon" wrote in news:1160666282.851835.56630
@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Well the support strips were up with nails. All we did was take a pry
bar and go from the top and pry them down. Some were slightly damaged
but most were in good shape after getting them down. It didn't leave
the wall too awful either. They at least textured the wall underneath
but it just needs paint and should look good. Thanks everyone. It was a
success.

Thanks everyone.

Post a pic of the jack hammered head of a spammer. That will do:-)

--
SPAM bots eat me!
From: Reply-to:
From: Reply-to:
From: Reply-to:
From: Reply-to:
From: abuse@localhost Reply-to: abuse@localhost
From: Reply-to:
From: Reply-to:

This link puts the spam bots into a loop:
http://www.hostedscripts.com/scripts/antispam.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

emaalyon spake thus:

Well the support strips were up with nails. All we did was take a pry
bar and go from the top and pry them down. Some were slightly damaged
but most were in good shape after getting them down. It didn't leave
the wall too awful either. They at least textured the wall underneath
but it just needs paint and should look good. Thanks everyone. It was a
success.

Well, I think you're now qualified to go into business as a handyperson.
You can advertise as a woman-owned-and-operated business.

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Don Phillipson, Lurene Gisee wrote:
The way this shelf is installed, it looks like I'd need blow more money on
small construction tools. Also, because they seem attached in multiple ways, I
doubt I'd even have the strength to pull the stupid thing off.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...et-155264-.htm