Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wet/dry vacuum hose

Hi,
I've a ShopVac brand wet/dry vac that has a 2.25" diameter opening for a hose.
I've seen some low-cost 20ft long hoses for sale online, but they're all 1.25" hose with a 2.25" cuff. And I've also seen some 20ft long 2.5" hoses made for Rigid wet/dry vacs. I'm thinking the larger diameter will be noticeable in terms of suction over 20ft. Has anyone had experience using a Rigid 2.5" hose on a ShopVac vac? Are there adapters sold for this sort of thing, or it's strictly incompatible?

Thanks
Theodore
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 11:01:34 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi,
I've a ShopVac brand wet/dry vac that has a 2.25" diameter opening for a hose.
I've seen some low-cost 20ft long hoses for sale online, but they're all 1.25" hose with a 2.25" cuff. And I've also seen some 20ft long 2.5" hoses made for Rigid wet/dry vacs. I'm thinking the larger diameter will be noticeable in terms of suction over 20ft. Has anyone had experience using a Rigid 2.5" hose on a ShopVac vac? Are there adapters sold for this sort of thing, or it's strictly incompatible?

Thanks
Theodore

I don't know if the velocity of air would be higher in the large diameter or the small diameter hose over the longer lengths. Perhaps you could Email one of the shop vac manufacturers and ask? I assume that a greater velocity of the air moving through the hose would move the debris through it more efficiently but then there is also the volume of air moving through hose to consider. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

From the Shop-Vac Faq webpage,

https://www.shopvac.com/us/en/shop-vac-reg-faqs

Hose size:
If you are planning on picking up large debris, you should look for a vac with a 2.5" diameter hose. If you try to pick up large debris with a small diameter hose, the debris will clog the hose and the vac will lose suction. Also consider the hose length to make sure you are able to reach all the places you want to clean.

[8~{} Uncle Vacuum Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 12:01:34 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi,
I've a ShopVac brand wet/dry vac that has a 2.25" diameter opening for a hose.
I've seen some low-cost 20ft long hoses for sale online, but they're all 1.25" hose with a 2.25" cuff. And I've also seen some 20ft long 2.5" hoses made for Rigid wet/dry vacs. I'm thinking the larger diameter will be noticeable in terms of suction over 20ft. Has anyone had experience using a Rigid 2.5" hose on a ShopVac vac? Are there adapters sold for this sort of thing, or it's strictly incompatible?

Thanks
Theodore

If you can't find the proper adapter, you can make your own by heating up PVC
pipe and stretching it to fit your needs. Do it outside or in a well ventilated area.

This guy does with a torch, but a heat gun would probably work too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ehlC-_yNSbk
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you can't find the proper adapter, you can make your own by heating up PVC

Yep, I saw that too. But my issue is at the vac itself: it's a female connection with 2.25" (inner) diameter and no outer diameter (i.e. it's flush to the surface); and the 20ft hose I want to buy is 2.5" diameter (equal to: http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-2-...522/203235220).

Not sure if there's a 2.5" I.D. female to 2.25" O.D. male adapter for sale out there, and not something that I can make with any practicality. Or maybe someone's done this already and knows I'm wrong about some detail here?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 7:37:28 AM UTC-4, wrote:

Not sure if there's a 2.5" I.D. female to 2.25" O.D. male adapter for sale out there, and not something that I can make with any practicality. Or maybe someone's done this already and knows I'm wrong about some detail here?

Actually, you can, quite easily.

Download some free 3D drawing softwa 123Design, TinkerCad, OpenSCAD all work well. Take the file to your local library and 3D print it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 7:37:28 AM UTC-4, wrote:
If you can't find the proper adapter, you can make your own by heating up PVC

Yep, I saw that too. But my issue is at the vac itself: it's a female connection with 2.25" (inner) diameter and no outer diameter (i.e. it's flush to the surface); and the 20ft hose I want to buy is 2.5" diameter (equal to: http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-2-...522/203235220).

Not sure if there's a 2.5" I.D. female to 2.25" O.D. male adapter for sale out there, and not something that I can make with any practicality. Or maybe someone's done this already and knows I'm wrong about some detail here?

The OD of a 2" PVC pipe is 2.375".

Perhaps you could grind it down to 2.25" to fit the vac inlet and then
use a Fernco coupling to attach the 2.5" hose to the PVC.

https://www.fernco.com/plumbing/flex...tock-couplings

Or maybe there's a Fernco reducer with a 2.25" OD that would fit the vac
on one end and hose on the other.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 04:01:04 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Large hoses have a few advantages, but one major disadvantage. The
air speed in a large hose is significantly lower than in a small hose,
which negatively affects the perceived suction at the end of the hose
and can even allow heavier dirt to "fall ou of" the hose instead of
being rushed lonf to the vac.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 05:09:10 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

On Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 7:37:28 AM UTC-4, wrote:

Not sure if there's a 2.5" I.D. female to 2.25" O.D. male adapter for sale out there, and not something that I can make with any practicality. Or maybe someone's done this already and knows I'm wrong about some detail here?

Actually, you can, quite easily.

Download some free 3D drawing softwa 123Design, TinkerCad, OpenSCAD all work well. Take the file to your local library and 3D print it.

I just chuck a chunk of ABS or PVC heavt wall pipe in my Myford
lathe and make what is required - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

Large hoses have a few advantages, but one major disadvantage. The
air speed in a large hose is significantly lower than in a small hose,
which negatively affects the perceived suction at the end of the hose
and can even allow heavier dirt to "fall ou of" the hose instead of
being rushed lonf to the vac.

Point taken. My goal is to use to keep dust down while drywalling (i.e. hold next to rotozip, cleanup general sanding mess, etc). Maybe even put the darn thing outside and run the hose through a window so I don't have to hear it while cleaning up. My concern was there would be a loss of suction due to the smaller diameter/longer length. If you're suggesting it might not be that big an issue, maybe it's worth a go with the 1.25" hose with 2.25" cuff?