Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.house
J Swain
 
Posts: n/a
Default alternate vacuum hose???

Hi,

I bought a Canister vacuum from Sears, Sears model # 116.23812300, (I
believe it is actually made by Panasonic).
They had several very similar models on the floor and the one we picked
had a longer 8 ft hose. We thought that would come in handy, but it
actually is more of a hassle to use for everyday cleaning(multiple pets,
vacuum often). I am fairly sure that a 6 ft hose from another similar
models could be substituted for this, but the Sears parts customer
service only can tell me what's in their database as the original
replacement, not an alternate replacement. Has anyone replaced the
longer hose with the shorter hose or vice-versa with the Sears/Panasonic
Progressive type canister vacs?

Thanks,
Janet

  #2   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.house
ameijers
 
Posts: n/a
Default alternate vacuum hose???


"J Swain" wrote in message
...
Hi,

I bought a Canister vacuum from Sears, Sears model # 116.23812300, (I
believe it is actually made by Panasonic).
They had several very similar models on the floor and the one we picked
had a longer 8 ft hose. We thought that would come in handy, but it
actually is more of a hassle to use for everyday cleaning(multiple pets,
vacuum often). I am fairly sure that a 6 ft hose from another similar
models could be substituted for this, but the Sears parts customer
service only can tell me what's in their database as the original
replacement, not an alternate replacement. Has anyone replaced the
longer hose with the shorter hose or vice-versa with the Sears/Panasonic
Progressive type canister vacs?

Take a close up digital or Polaroid of the ends of your hose, with a ruler
in the picture, into Sears, and play with the demonstrator machines on the
floor. Or if the model you bought is still there, grab the hose from one,
and try it on the other. (May have to explain to sales droid what you are
doing, but as long as nothing is broken, or leaves sales floor, no reason
for them to care.

Probably want to wait till Xmas rush is over to do any of this. Small
appliance dept is usually dead quiet (at least in local Sears here), but for
next month it will be busy.

(brings back memories of, as a kid, using local used car lot as a reference
book, to see how to reassemble something under the hood....)

aem sends...

  #3   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.house
Al Bundy
 
Posts: n/a
Default alternate vacuum hose???

Or you might cut two feet from the middle and splice it with a tube
insert and duct tape it. There might be an easy way to cut two feet off
the end and re-insert the hose also. That would be preferable. I've
done both several times, usually to lengthen a hose.

  #4   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.house
Howard Beale
 
Posts: n/a
Default alternate vacuum hose???


"ameijers" wrote in message
...

Take a close up digital or Polaroid of the ends of your hose, with a ruler
in the picture, into Sears, and play with the demonstrator machines on the
floor. Or if the model you bought is still there, grab the hose from one,
and try it on the other. (May have to explain to sales droid what you are
doing, but as long as nothing is broken, or leaves sales floor, no reason
for them to care.


That's a good idea.

I have an adapter that came with my Shop Vac-brand shop vac that fits a
random 8 ft length of "standard" vacuum hose I have, which in turn will
accept any of the accessories from our Hoover upright convertable.

Anyway, I'd swear there must be something of a standard for household vacuum
hoses and accessories, since I'm able to use 3 different brands of stuff
with my shop vac. It might be worthwhile just to buy a shorter length -- it
could just work, saving a lot of research time.


  #5   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.house
J Swain
 
Posts: n/a
Default alternate vacuum hose???



ameijers wrote:

"J Swain" wrote in message
.. .


Hi,

I bought a Canister vacuum from Sears, Sears model # 116.23812300, (I
believe it is actually made by Panasonic).
They had several very similar models on the floor and the one we picked
had a longer 8 ft hose. We thought that would come in handy, but it
actually is more of a hassle to use for everyday cleaning(multiple pets,
vacuum often). I am fairly sure that a 6 ft hose from another similar
models could be substituted for this, but the Sears parts customer
service only can tell me what's in their database as the original
replacement, not an alternate replacement. Has anyone replaced the
longer hose with the shorter hose or vice-versa with the Sears/Panasonic
Progressive type canister vacs?



Take a close up digital or Polaroid of the ends of your hose, with a ruler
in the picture, into Sears, and play with the demonstrator machines on the
floor. Or if the model you bought is still there, grab the hose from one,
and try it on the other. (May have to explain to sales droid what you are
doing, but as long as nothing is broken, or leaves sales floor, no reason
for them to care.

Probably want to wait till Xmas rush is over to do any of this. Small
appliance dept is usually dead quiet (at least in local Sears here), but for
next month it will be busy.

(brings back memories of, as a kid, using local used car lot as a reference
book, to see how to reassemble something under the hood....)

aem sends...



Thanks for the idea...I kinda did that online with another model and
looked up that it had a 6 ft hose and got the part number off the parts
web Unfortunately, you have to do some disassembly..it is not a simple
slide on hose, but integrated into the unit and the web drawing lacks
detail...I don't think they'd let me take one apart at the store



  #6   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.house
J Swain
 
Posts: n/a
Default alternate vacuum hose???

Al Bundy wrote:

Or you might cut two feet from the middle and splice it with a tube
insert and duct tape it. There might be an easy way to cut two feet off
the end and re-insert the hose also. That would be preferable. I've
done both several times, usually to lengthen a hose.



Al,

Can't do that....the hose has the wires for the power to the power mate
unit.....already though of that, but it can't be done
neatly....or safely....

Thanks anyway!

  #7   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.house
J Swain
 
Posts: n/a
Default alternate vacuum hose???

Howard Beale wrote:

"ameijers" wrote in message
...



Take a close up digital or Polaroid of the ends of your hose, with a ruler
in the picture, into Sears, and play with the demonstrator machines on the
floor. Or if the model you bought is still there, grab the hose from one,
and try it on the other. (May have to explain to sales droid what you are
doing, but as long as nothing is broken, or leaves sales floor, no reason
for them to care.



That's a good idea.

I have an adapter that came with my Shop Vac-brand shop vac that fits a
random 8 ft length of "standard" vacuum hose I have, which in turn will
accept any of the accessories from our Hoover upright convertable.

Anyway, I'd swear there must be something of a standard for household vacuum
hoses and accessories, since I'm able to use 3 different brands of stuff
with my shop vac. It might be worthwhile just to buy a shorter length -- it
could just work, saving a lot of research time.



Posted my response that it isn't a simple hose, but rather one with the
power cord for the power mate head unit integrated...

One thing I may try as a short term fix is simply using a large cable
tie to hold a loose bend in the hose near the handle section.....that
would effectively reduce the length, just don't know if the bulk created
will cause anothert set of problems....

Thanks...


  #8   Report Post  
Posted to misc.consumers.house
Tracey
 
Posts: n/a
Default alternate vacuum hose???


"J Swain" wrote in message
...

Can't do that....the hose has the wires for the power to the power mate
unit.....already though of that, but it can't be done
neatly....or safely....

Thanks anyway!


I would probably lug my vacuum into a local sew/vac shop and ask the guy
there if there are any alternatives rather than trying to deal with someone
at Sears who isn't going to have any clue. My experience is that the guys
that work in the sew/vac shops are pretty good and very helpful.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Central Vacuum Cleaner Hose Blocked [email protected] Home Repair 7 August 17th 05 12:40 AM
Anti Static vacuum hose? And wishing you great holidays. sandman Woodworking 7 December 24th 04 04:16 AM
Almost done with my home-made vacuum press. Anyone else done one? Joe Emenaker Woodworking 15 August 8th 04 12:23 AM
Riccar Radiance Vacuum review Clinton Bast Home Ownership 1 June 2nd 04 02:51 PM
How to make a vacuum kiln in 20 screwups or less. Steve Knight Woodworking 3 July 26th 03 06:12 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"