Default Plumbing question, safety and code.

Hi all:

I live in a manufactured home community, about 900 homes. Under new
ownership we are being switched from well water, to city water. Yaa!

Over the next few weeks all the homes will be having a water meter
installled. They are starting the job on my home now (it's done in steps,
over a few days.) I noticed that their plan is to replace the water supply
line. I currently have a copper line that runs about 30' from the
crock/connection point under ground, to the connection point under my home
( that is about 30' is exposed to the air.) Because I live in Michigan the
water line has a heat tape on it to prevent winter freeze up. The new line
they will be installing is plastic and it will have a new heat tape
installed on it. My question is isn't it a bad idea to use a heat tape
right up against plastic tubing?? I can imagine it will soon melt.

Thanks for input, PHIL
Colbyt

wrote in message
[...]

Codes will vary with locale. Plastic is not legal for main supply line
here. I think some of the newer heat tapes are approved for plastic pipe.
Not sure I trust the pipe or the tape as a personal opinion.

Colbyt

"Spud" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Not if installed right see
http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/article9.htm
Plastic bet its black and comes in huge rolls
if so this is less likely to burst from freezing then anything else

The tubing is semi-clear/white. I have a bad feeling about this whole
thing .... I don't understand why they are replacing the suppy line in the
first place. I would think it would make more sense to just cut the line,
and install the meter. The new supply line does have a larger diameter
though....

-PHIL-