Default Plumbing question, safety and code.

Hi all:

I live in a manufactured home community, about 900 homes. Under new
ownership we are being switched from well water, to city water. Yaa!

Over the next few weeks all the homes will be having a water meter
installled. They are starting the job on my home now (it's done in steps,
over a few days.) I noticed that their plan is to replace the water supply
line. I currently have a copper line that runs about 30' from the
crock/connection point under ground, to the connection point under my home
( that is about 30' is exposed to the air.) Because I live in Michigan the
water line has a heat tape on it to prevent winter freeze up. The new line
they will be installing is plastic and it will have a new heat tape
installed on it. My question is isn't it a bad idea to use a heat tape
right up against plastic tubing?? I can imagine it will soon melt.

Thanks for input, PHIL