Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Travails about gas

OT, maybe.

I'm reniling a tiny little car, a Kia Picanto. I haven't looked up
how big the gas tank is but when I fill it, the debit card charge is
about $100. And I'm told gas is about $6 a gallon, which would make
the tank about 16 gallons, less if it's 6.45/gal for example.

Yesterday, the gas pump wanted more from me than the card, but I'm not
sure what it wanted. I gave it my passport number but it didn't have
room for all 8 or 9 digits. Sometimes the pump wants the license
plate number, but we didn't get that far. The gas station attendant
was sure it wanted my ID number, not the license plate, and the
closest I have to an ID is the passport, and I know that sometimes it
wants the passport number, or at least it settles for that. (who knows
if it really verifies any of these numbers!)

So I didn't want to spend all my money so I bought $12 worth of gas.
(I was sure I had enough gas anyhow. This was just extra.)

When I got in the car, the gas gauge, which had been at 1/4 was at
3/4s. I know there is space below zero, and probably space above
full, and the gauges are not very linear anyhow, so do you think it's
possible that $12. made the gauge go from 1/4 to 3/4 when it takes
$100 to fill it?????? Most important question here.

Normally I wouldn't care too much about this, but when I got home t
here were two emails from this gas station that I had bought $53.63 of
gas twice within 3 minutes. So I called the bank's 800 number, which
is easy to do with Skype for the PC (and I'm sure Skype for Android)
and after talking about other stuff**, she said that one of the two
charges had been reversed. I had checked 2 or 3 hours earlier.

I said, "I didn't get an email that it was reversed." She said, "We
didn't reverse it. The merchant did." I said it doesn't matter.
You, the Bank (Bank of America) sent me an email that I was charged
and if it's reversed for any reason, you should send me an email, so
that all my emails add up to the right number. Isn't this obvious.
I was laughing and I think I got her laughing too. And I added,
some people read their email on their phone but don't look at online
bank sstatments on their phone.

But they only reversed one of the two, so I was thinking, maybe I got
$53 when they thought it wasn't working. Doesn't seem likely, and I
don't think the hose was in the tank yet, but I can't really remember.
But if not, how did the gauge go all the way to 3/4s!?

There is also the issue that I let one on either side of the pump
perhaps look over my shoulder when I put in the PIN, which pumps in
the US often require you to do, iirc and I might not. Is it the
zipcode sometimes and the pin other times, or never the PIN? At any
rate, then I thought maybe he saw the PIN and charged me after I left,
so I wanted to change the PIN using the webpage but couldnt' find it
anywhere. So I wanted her to do it. She toold me to go to an ATM or
branch. I said I'm not in the US. She said she could ail me a code
for a new pin. I said sure. At the end of the confersation, it
stilll hadn't come, so I asked her again. She said it was being
postal mailed. This would actually work if I had left someoen at
home, or if they let me send it to another address. This last thought
zoomed in and out of my head in a second or two but I didnt' ask.

I have $12 more local paper money plus a whopping $13 change, plus
$120 American money (which the gas station was willing to take iiuc
but I didn't want to spend) and I have $3000 in a bank here, so I
could wait until the letter came to a friend and have him email me the
contents. I can still do that, if they'll let me. Should I?

Instead, I put the debit card on holda about 4 hours ago -- no other
charges had been emailed me at that time -- and they say the PIN is no
good without the card, which I have. Do you bellieve them/her?

I thought I'd leave the card blocked for a day or two, until I need
money, (then maybe get a lot of money and block it again??) and by
that time the thief will be tired of trying. Plus all he has is a
pin and maybe a printed version of my card number, but does he even
have that? They don't put the card number on the r eceipt or the exp.
date or the 3numbers on the back and I presume they're not in the
gaspump or at the counter at the gas station.

All of which means he didn't steal anything from me, except why was
there a $57 charge and alternatively, how did the gas gauge go up so
much if I only got $12 gas???????????

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/18/2017 08:28 AM, Micky wrote:
OT, maybe.

I'm reniling a tiny little car, a Kia Picanto. I haven't looked up
how big the gas tank is but when I fill it, the debit card charge is
about $100. And I'm told gas is about $6 a gallon, which would make
the tank about 16 gallons, less if it's 6.45/gal for example.
\

Your credit card company can help you if there was fraud...which means
that if your card was stolen you could get the purchase canceled.
As I look down further I see your charge was $53 which is probably about
right. Seems the credit card company was good enough to see you were
charged twice and only held you liable for once.

Yesterday, the gas pump wanted more from me than the card, but I'm not
sure what it wanted. I gave it my passport number but it didn't have
room for all 8 or 9 digits. Sometimes the pump wants the license
plate number, but we didn't get that far. The gas station attendant
was sure it wanted my ID number, not the license plate, and the
closest I have to an ID is the passport, and I know that sometimes it
wants the passport number, or at least it settles for that. (who knows
if it really verifies any of these numbers!)

When I purchase gas, the pump sometimes asks for my zip code so it was
probably just doing that. Since you were in Canada it might have asked
"postal code" .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/18/2017 9:28 AM, Micky wrote:
OT, maybe.

I'm reniling a tiny little car, a Kia Picanto. I haven't looked up
how big the gas tank is but when I fill it, the debit card charge is
about $100. And I'm told gas is about $6 a gallon, which would make
the tank about 16 gallons, less if it's 6.45/gal for example.

Capacity is 35 liters or 9.2 gallons Gas should be in the range of
$6.00 a gallon in your area but it fluctuates often.

I never use a debit card in Europe in case of problems even though I
have the same protection. I just don't want my account emptied wile it
gets resolved. I do use it to get cash from the ATM though, usually the
best exchange rates.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 16:28:58 +0300
Micky wrote:

I haven't looked up
how big the gas tank is but when I fill it, the debit card charge is
about $100.

Well if you filled it you should have seen the price of gas
at the station.
Posted to alt.home.repair

top post

Gasoline is ~ $ 1.65 per litre US dollars in Denmark.

http://www.globalpetrolprices.com/gasoline_prices/

Kia Picanto holds 35 litres.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/kia-pi...imensions-0252

35 x 1.65 = $ 58. to fill from empty.

If you are paying $ 100. you must be agreeing to the special
car wash with topless girls

http://thechive.com/2012/09/05/i-jus...-wash-lottery/

You're a pip, Micky. But we love you anyway.
John T.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

How many liters or gallons were on your reciept????? You DID get a
reciept, right??????
As for the card and the pin, the pin is useless without the card with
the chip in it.

I don't know how it works where you are, but if I want to pay at the
pump a lot of places in the USA the pump asks for my ZIP code - and it
won't accept my Canadian postal code - so I need to go in and pre-pay.
Apparently this is to reduce fraud. (in place of the chip/pin) by
requiring the user to know the ZIP code of the cardholder.

Is it possible the card pre-authorized for the local equivalent of
$53.63, and since you didn't get any fuel they reversed it???

They will NOT mail it to a thirdparty address for security reasons.

You really get yourself into some pickles, don't you?????
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 08:54:21 -0500, philo wrote:

[...]

Mikey's in Canada????? Didn't know that. I thought he was in Europe
somewhere........ Gas isn't quite $6 a gallon here - about $5.08
canadian per Canadian gallon right now - closer to $3.05 US per yankee
gallon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 15:33:07 -0500, RonNNN wrote:

In article ,
says...

I don't know how it works where you are, but if I want to pay at the
pump a lot of places in the USA the pump asks for my ZIP code ...

Most places I've paid at the pump ask for a PIN when using a debit card,
and ask for the ZIP code when using as a credit card. All of my cards can
be used as either one.

Asks for both on my credit card in Wisconsin and Michigan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 4:33:04 PM UTC-4, RonNNN wrote:
and ask for the ZIP code when using as a credit card. All of my cards can

be used as either one.

When asked for a ZIP code I would think to myself "How the f would I know the ZIP? I was never in this town".

Posted to alt.home.repair

When asked for a ZIP code I would think to myself "How the f would I know the ZIP? I was never in this town".

cash is so much more convenient

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo news Apr 2017 13:54:21 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 04/18/2017 08:28 AM, Micky wrote:
OT, maybe.

I'm reniling a tiny little car, a Kia Picanto. I haven't
looked up how big the gas tank is but when I fill it, the debit
card charge is about $100. And I'm told gas is about $6 a
gallon, which would make the tank about 16 gallons, less if it's
6.45/gal for example. \

Your credit card company can help you if there was fraud...which
means that if your card was stolen you could get the purchase
canceled. As I look down further I see your charge was $53 which
is probably about right. Seems the credit card company was good
enough to see you were charged twice and only held you liable for
once.

The merchant (not the bank) reversed the charge, because, it was a
duplicate. Mike tried to pay for the same purchase, twice.

He didn't use a credit card. He used a BoA debit card. And, requested
a new PIN-effectively disabling his card for future purchases now.
ROFL! Until, he gets the new PIN. Based on what he wrote, concerning
suspicion of fraud, the CSR (agent) may have also taken the liberty
of shutting the card he has down and issuing a new one.

If it's been longer than 24 hours since this was done, the internal
(I won't give out it's name) won't be able to bring the card he has
back online. The MAINFRAME won't allow it beyond a certain time
frame, it cares not what access level you have. Even they can't
override it. And, they can do many things the agent/supervisors, etc,
cannot.

The PIN and new card are going to the postal address they have on
file for him, seperately. As in, one letter won't contain both of
them.

If he wants it any sooner, he needs to visit an actual branch and
request a temporary card to use in the meantime. If his card has been
shutdown, and he doesn't know it, BoA atms will keep his card, they
will not return it to him once he sticks it in. So, he can goto a
local branch and see if his card is still okay, or risk it with an
ATM machine; which if it is still okay, can change the PIN for him,
right there, on the spot; no waiting.

Those are the ONLY options he has now concerning that particular
card. And, he did it all to himself. So funny.

When I purchase gas, the pump sometimes asks for my zip code so it
was probably just doing that. Since you were in Canada it might
have asked "postal code" .

It's part of fraud reduction, yes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky
Tue, 18 Apr 2017
13:28:58 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

I said, "I didn't get an email that it was reversed." She said,
"We didn't reverse it. The merchant did." I said it doesn't
matter. You, the Bank (Bank of America) sent me an email that I
was charged and if it's reversed for any reason, you should send
me an email, so that all my emails add up to the right number.
Isn't this obvious. I was laughing and I think I got her laughing
too. And I added, some people read their email on their phone
but don't look at online bank sstatments on their phone.

ROFL. I worked for them in the debit card/credit card fraud and atm
assistance depts...It was reversed because the merchant detected it
was a duplicate charge. If the merchant didn't reverse it on their
own, BoA may have done so, if their system caught it as a duplicate
charge. IE: you (in this case, definitely you) ****ed up and tried to
pay for the same thing twice! or the merchant billed you twice for
the same item, within a certain time frame. If the time frame is
exceeded though, it's considered to be a seperate charge and it'll
stand until/unless you call in and file a dispute.

When you do, it'll be investigated and BoA will decide if the charge
stands or not, based on what the merchant tells them when they are
contacted. If it's a small enough amount, BoA will just reverse it
for you, as a good will gesture. If you do this enough times though,
it won't anymore, your dispute will go thru the investigation process
with a perma note attached to your account. Something along the lines
of 'possible fraudster'; and, you'll be treated accordingly.

I personally, enjoyed catching people trying to do shady ****, as in,
rip off the merchant. I'd file your claim for you without question
and note your account accordingly. Most of the calls I received were
fraud, but, it wasn't fraud as in identity theft or merchant fraud,
it was the customer having buyers remorse and wanting to get his/her
money back, **** the terms of the sale. BoA doesn't play that way,
just so you know.

It's not BoAs responsibilty to send you 'another' email about it.
That email friendly bull**** only tells you when you spent something,
initially. Otherwise, your BANK STATEMENT tells the tale; although
it's not going to show you both charges, as, one was a duplicate. As
far as the bank statement you'll see is concerned, the second one
never happened.

OTH, the individual you spoke with on the phone knows your cards
purchase history going back atleast a year, unless somethings been
changed in policy. Even including when you ****up and enter the wrong
pin. As in, where you did it, the date and time too.

If you can be bothered to check your email on what passes for a
computer these days, you can be bothered to check your ****ing bank
statement, too.

I dealt with ****ers like you, complaining about the email system
too. Always demanding it essentially, babysit them, as you're doing.
Waste of my ****ing time.

But they only reversed one of the two, so I was thinking, maybe I
got $53 when they thought it wasn't working. Doesn't seem likely,
and I don't think the hose was in the tank yet, but I can't really
remember. But if not, how did the gauge go all the way to 3/4s!?

They reversed one of the two because the second one was A DUPLICATE
CHARGE. YOU, not them, tried to pay for the same gas, twice!

There is also the issue that I let one on either side of the pump
perhaps look over my shoulder when I put in the PIN, which pumps
in the US often require you to do, iirc and I might not. Is it
the zipcode sometimes and the pin other times, or never the PIN?

That depends on how you used the card and the merchants policies.
It's part of the fraud reduction system. Chipped cards as well. It
will request both in some cases. The thinking behind that is,
somebody might have stolen your card, and you might have been stupid
enough to write the PIN on the card. (Don't laugh, so many people do
this it's not funny), but the person might not know where you live,
and thus, won't know the right zip code. So, they'll fail it when
asked. Guess either wrong enough times, BoA automatically shuts your
card down, temporarily. Forget to contact BoA within 24 hours of this
happening to report a lost/stolen card, it's dead permanently.

she could ail me a code for a new pin. I said sure. At the end
of the confersation, it stilll hadn't come, so I asked her again.
She said it was being postal mailed. This would actually work if
I had left someoen at home, or if they let me send it to another
address. This last thought zoomed in and out of my head in a
second or two but I didnt' ask.

She isn't going to send you a new PIN to your card via email, or via
text message, no. That PIN is like a lock. You aren't getting a new
key sent via insecure channels. You can change it with a BoA atm, or
go into a local branch. Otherwise, it's going to the physical address
they have on file for you.

So, not only do you do stupid **** with cars, you're a ****ing idiot
with your electronic money too.

Instead, I put the debit card on holda about 4 hours ago -- no
other charges had been emailed me at that time -- and they say the
PIN is no good without the card, which I have. Do you bellieve
them/her?

You ****ing idiot! You just disabled the card you're holding in your
hand. You requested a new pin. You can't use your old pin until the
new one arrives, hence your card is near worthless to you now. It's
already been ****canned by the system. If you have to make any
purchase that requires a pin entry now, you are ****ed two ways from
sunday without the new PIN.

I thought I'd leave the card blocked for a day or two, until I
need money, (then maybe get a lot of money and block it again??)

Haha. Listen, dude, if you make the next person you talk to think
your card has been compromised, they won't put it on hold for you,
they'll shut it the **** down and you'll be issued a brand new card,
to the POSTAL mailing address on file for you.

Your only other option to speed that up is to goto a local branch and
request a temporary card. You're already ****ed now, anyhow. You
killed the PIN for it.

Your account might already have notation concerning this, anyhow. The
csr you spoke with is supposed to document your activities/things you
discuss with them while on the phone. If you heard a lot of typing in
the background, that's what they were doing. It takes few keypresses
and mouse clicks to move around the system.

In fact, just to get you off the damn phone, she might have told you
they placed it on hold for possible fraudulent activity and went
ahead and issued you a new one. You ran her call time up, and that
counts against her.

I do hope you brought other forms of payment with you, rofl, as, you
won't be buying much now with that particular card.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26/04/2017 05:26, Diesel claimed

I worked for them in the debit card/credit card fraud and atm
assistance depts...

*WHEN* did you work for BoA, Dustin?

--
David B.