Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Travails about gas

OT, maybe.

I'm reniling a tiny little car, a Kia Picanto. I haven't looked up
how big the gas tank is but when I fill it, the debit card charge is
about $100. And I'm told gas is about $6 a gallon, which would make
the tank about 16 gallons, less if it's 6.45/gal for example.

Yesterday, the gas pump wanted more from me than the card, but I'm not
sure what it wanted. I gave it my passport number but it didn't have
room for all 8 or 9 digits. Sometimes the pump wants the license
plate number, but we didn't get that far. The gas station attendant
was sure it wanted my ID number, not the license plate, and the
closest I have to an ID is the passport, and I know that sometimes it
wants the passport number, or at least it settles for that. (who knows
if it really verifies any of these numbers!)

So I didn't want to spend all my money so I bought $12 worth of gas.
(I was sure I had enough gas anyhow. This was just extra.)

When I got in the car, the gas gauge, which had been at 1/4 was at
3/4s. I know there is space below zero, and probably space above
full, and the gauges are not very linear anyhow, so do you think it's
possible that $12. made the gauge go from 1/4 to 3/4 when it takes
$100 to fill it?????? Most important question here.

Normally I wouldn't care too much about this, but when I got home t
here were two emails from this gas station that I had bought $53.63 of
gas twice within 3 minutes. So I called the bank's 800 number, which
is easy to do with Skype for the PC (and I'm sure Skype for Android)
and after talking about other stuff**, she said that one of the two
charges had been reversed. I had checked 2 or 3 hours earlier.

I said, "I didn't get an email that it was reversed." She said, "We
didn't reverse it. The merchant did." I said it doesn't matter.
You, the Bank (Bank of America) sent me an email that I was charged
and if it's reversed for any reason, you should send me an email, so
that all my emails add up to the right number. Isn't this obvious.
I was laughing and I think I got her laughing too. And I added,
some people read their email on their phone but don't look at online
bank sstatments on their phone.

But they only reversed one of the two, so I was thinking, maybe I got
$53 when they thought it wasn't working. Doesn't seem likely, and I
don't think the hose was in the tank yet, but I can't really remember.
But if not, how did the gauge go all the way to 3/4s!?

There is also the issue that I let one on either side of the pump
perhaps look over my shoulder when I put in the PIN, which pumps in
the US often require you to do, iirc and I might not. Is it the
zipcode sometimes and the pin other times, or never the PIN? At any
rate, then I thought maybe he saw the PIN and charged me after I left,
so I wanted to change the PIN using the webpage but couldnt' find it
anywhere. So I wanted her to do it. She toold me to go to an ATM or
branch. I said I'm not in the US. She said she could ail me a code
for a new pin. I said sure. At the end of the confersation, it
stilll hadn't come, so I asked her again. She said it was being
postal mailed. This would actually work if I had left someoen at
home, or if they let me send it to another address. This last thought
zoomed in and out of my head in a second or two but I didnt' ask.

I have $12 more local paper money plus a whopping $13 change, plus
$120 American money (which the gas station was willing to take iiuc
but I didn't want to spend) and I have $3000 in a bank here, so I
could wait until the letter came to a friend and have him email me the
contents. I can still do that, if they'll let me. Should I?

Instead, I put the debit card on holda about 4 hours ago -- no other
charges had been emailed me at that time -- and they say the PIN is no
good without the card, which I have. Do you bellieve them/her?

I thought I'd leave the card blocked for a day or two, until I need
money, (then maybe get a lot of money and block it again??) and by
that time the thief will be tired of trying. Plus all he has is a
pin and maybe a printed version of my card number, but does he even
have that? They don't put the card number on the r eceipt or the exp.
date or the 3numbers on the back and I presume they're not in the
gaspump or at the counter at the gas station.

All of which means he didn't steal anything from me, except why was
there a $57 charge and alternatively, how did the gas gauge go up so
much if I only got $12 gas???????????