Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gasket Expanded ?

viz: http://tinyurl.com/kkksh6x

GPS speedo for a boat.

Was ok last fall, stored over the winter, and now the gasket has
expanded.

Something with the Teflon grease I'm using on it is my guess.

Has anybody seen this before?

Any way to make it shrink back to it's normal size?
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2017 8:42 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
viz: http://tinyurl.com/kkksh6x

GPS speedo for a boat.

Was ok last fall, stored over the winter, and now the gasket has
expanded.

Something with the Teflon grease I'm using on it is my guess.

Has anybody seen this before?

Any way to make it shrink back to it's normal size?

I had that problem with carburetor bowl gaskets.
Once used, they expanded to the point that they couldn't
be reinstalled if removed.
Letting them "air dry" for a couple of days fixed it.
My problem was gasoline. Not sure if it's relevant to
grease.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 04/12/2017 10:42 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
viz: http://tinyurl.com/kkksh6x

GPS speedo for a boat.

Was ok last fall, stored over the winter, and now the gasket has
expanded.

Something with the Teflon grease I'm using on it is my guess.

Has anybody seen this before?

Yeah, many gasket materials are prone to grow in contact with
petro-based stuffs...that one is extreme, however...

Any way to make it shrink back to it's normal size?

None in a short time frame that I'm aware of; o-rings generally will
eventually return to roughly original dimensions if thoroughly cleaned
and left for a period but it takes quite a while in my experience.

I'd guess if you want this operational sooner rather than later best
just find a replacement.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 04/12/2017 12:15 PM, dpb wrote:

I'd guess if you want this operational sooner rather than later best
just find a replacement.

A "wonder if?" occurred to me this morning on way to the koffee klatch
in town--that is, if a vacuum pump could/would outgas it and quicken up
any return to original dimensions or not...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2017 11:42 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
viz: http://tinyurl.com/kkksh6x

GPS speedo for a boat.

Was ok last fall, stored over the winter, and now the gasket has
expanded.

Something with the Teflon grease I'm using on it is my guess.

Has anybody seen this before?

Any way to make it shrink back to it's normal size?

I made mistake of greasing an o-ring on my water filter housing with
Vaseline and it expanded too much. I easily shrunk it back with careful
heating with a heat gun.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Frank:
I made mistake of greasing an o-ring on my water filter housing with
Vaseline and it expanded too much. I easily shrunk it back with careful
heating with a heat gun.

I tried that once, but no-go.

Sounds like I am going to try it again - with a little more heat and
time.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/14/2017 1:57 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Frank:
I made mistake of greasing an o-ring on my water filter housing with
Vaseline and it expanded too much. I easily shrunk it back with careful
heating with a heat gun.

I tried that once, but no-go.

Sounds like I am going to try it again - with a little more heat and
time.

Worth trying. Worse you could do was have to buy a new gasket. The
o-ring for my unit listed for $11 which I think is outlandish. OEM
suppliers can hose you with parts cost.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 04/14/2017 1:05 PM, Frank wrote:

Worth trying. Worse you could do was have to buy a new gasket. The
o-ring for my unit listed for $11 which I think is outlandish. OEM
suppliers can hose you with parts cost.

Any place of any size should have a industrial distributorship that
should be able to match virtually anything...even here w/ population of
only 20K or so has one--I've never failed to find whatever it was in
o-rings or the like and they can cut a new gasket of any size/material
needed. Generally ones'ies are the change in your pocket for small
stuff to maybe $1 or the like for this...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 14:05:19 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 4/14/2017 1:57 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Frank:
I made mistake of greasing an o-ring on my water filter housing with
Vaseline and it expanded too much. I easily shrunk it back with careful
heating with a heat gun.

I tried that once, but no-go.

Sounds like I am going to try it again - with a little more heat and
time.

Worth trying. Worse you could do was have to buy a new gasket. The
o-ring for my unit listed for $11 which I think is outlandish. OEM
suppliers can hose you with parts cost.

Try shrinking it with alcohol. It extracts the petroleum from the
ring, shrinking it.

If it wa ME I'd try to get an industrial o-ring that is resistant to
petroleum products - and likely het it for about 1/4 the cost of the
OEM part.