Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LED lights for refrigerator

Are LED lamps suited for the vibration of a refrigerator lamp or
should I use heavy duty vibration resistant appliance incandescent?

I am guessing Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs are a bad choice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/30/2017 10:15 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:
Are LED lamps suited for the vibration of a refrigerator lamp or
should I use heavy duty vibration resistant appliance incandescent?

I am guessing Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs are a bad choice.

Assuming that you're talking about a retrofit, I'd guess that if you can
find a LED in a suitable size, it would be fine. Our current
refrigerator (LG) purchased about 4 - 5 years ago has LED vs.
incandescent lighting.

Also, I see that one of the garage door opener companies, Chamberlain
(?), is offering a screw in base LED replacement bulb for their equipment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/30/2017 8:15 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:
Are LED lamps suited for the vibration of a refrigerator lamp or
should I use heavy duty vibration resistant appliance incandescent?

I am guessing Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs are a bad choice.

What happens when you try it?
If your refrigerator is shaking enough to damage a light bulb, call service.
The on-time of a refrigerator lamp is so small that you'll never pay
back the cost of any replacement led lamp. Fluorescents don't like cold.
If it ain't broke...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/30/2017 11:15 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:
Are LED lamps suited for the vibration of a refrigerator lamp or
should I use heavy duty vibration resistant appliance incandescent?

I am guessing Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs are a bad choice.

The CFL I tried in the fridge didn't work because the bulb had
cold-start issues so am currently using LED purchased at Menards or
Lowes Depot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 31, 2017 at 1:35:33 AM UTC-7, James Watt wrote:
On 03/30/2017 11:15 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:
Are LED lamps suited for the vibration of a refrigerator lamp or
should I use heavy duty vibration resistant appliance incandescent?

I am guessing Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs are a bad choice.

The CFL I tried in the fridge didn't work because the bulb had
cold-start issues so am currently using LED purchased at Menards or
Lowes Depot.

I did the same thing and Lowes has a good selection at a fair price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/30/2017 10:15 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:
Are LED lamps suited for the vibration of a refrigerator lamp or
should I use heavy duty vibration resistant appliance incandescent?

I am guessing Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs are a bad choice.

Assuming that you're talking about a retrofit, I'd guess that if you can
find a LED in a suitable size, it would be fine. Our current
refrigerator (LG) purchased about 4 - 5 years ago has LED vs.
incandescent lighting.

Also, I see that one of the garage door opener companies, Chamberlain
(?), is offering a screw in base LED replacement bulb for their equipment.

I have a chamberlain opener and have used an LED lamp for several years
now with no problems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 30, 2017 at 11:16:18 PM UTC-4, Seymore4Head wrote:
Are LED lamps suited for the vibration of a refrigerator lamp or
should I use heavy duty vibration resistant appliance incandescent?

I am guessing Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs are a bad choice.

LED's don't gave filaments to break so vibrations aren't an issue.

I have a 100W LED in my old fashioned trouble light. I've dropped that thing so
many times it's ridiculous. The LED just keeps humming along.

Take a look at the flexible strings of LED lights and you'll see what an LED looks
like and why vibration doesn't bother them. I string a set of 12V LED's through the
frame of my pop-up canopy when I go camping. You can be pretty rough with them.
(Add a dimmer and you've got bright light for cooking, dim light for ambiance.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

..
The on-time of a refrigerator lamp is so small that you'll never pay
back the cost of any replacement led lamp.

+1

agreed, use the LED bulb someplace where it gets a lot of use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/31/2017 12:41 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

Unless quality of light is the over riding factor. A daylight buld will
certainly brighten things up in there. Bought a new fridge last year
with LED lighting all over. Really nice when you open a door or drawer.

"Quality of light" is my reason for using LED lights in the
refrigerator. I don't care for the "dirty yellow" you get from
incandescents.

I have CFLs elsewhere (it seems wasteful to replace those), where there
isn't that much problem of broken glass in the food.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Kill one man and you are a murderer. Kill millions and you are a
conqueror. Kill all and you are God." [Jean Rostand (1894-1977) French
biologist, writer]