Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ping Todd

Close the dang front door up there. We have a large draft down here.
Winds gusting to 60 MPH, blowing trash cans down and down the streets.
Blowing desert dirt everywhere. Can't see a half mile away or the
mountains and I have dirt in my eyes. My phone sent an emergency alert
to not drive. Crap, three hours after it started. Close the damn door
up there, please. Just got another alert, just now saying this is
going on until 11:00 PM. Do something will ya.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/30/2017 05:21 PM, Oren wrote:
Close the dang front door up there. We have a large draft down here.
Winds gusting to 60 MPH, blowing trash cans down and down the streets.
Blowing desert dirt everywhere. Can't see a half mile away or the
mountains and I have dirt in my eyes. My phone sent an emergency alert
to not drive. Crap, three hours after it started. Close the damn door
up there, please. Just got another alert, just now saying this is
going on until 11:00 PM. Do something will ya.

Hi Oren,

That is a weekly affair in these parts. Last year
we had two with 100+ MPH gusts.

Fortunately or not, were are dead nuts on the Pineapple
express and everything is so wet, there is no blowing
dust. Last year you couldn't see your hand in front
of your face.

And with all this water, MY WEEDS HAVE WEEDS!

And lots of flooding too.

I have had to take the pads out of my swamp cooler
several times to keep the wind from tearing it out
of the window. Took down both screen doors, as they
go flying.

Any kids fly by yet? The tip off is when you hear
them demanding AGAIN, AGAIN!

-T

You realize this is all W's fault. Wait, its
Putin's fault, wait ...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Apr 2017 23:18:38 -0700, T wrote:

[...]

We ended up with 60 MPH winds. Some areas were 70 & 80. Went on for
almost 48 hours. Semi truck knocked over, power lines down and a
little "dirt rain". One couple was trapped inside their car with
power line and a power pole on top (downtown). 48,000 without power.

My pool is a swamp so it needs some "snowflake" attention and is on
timeout for now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/02/2017 06:34 PM, T wrote:
[...]

We have "another" flood watch for Friday. Maybe my
weeds will drown. No such luck.

I heard your winds pick up a trailer and flipped it over,
killing the occupant. Very sad hearing this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 15:28:58 -0700, T wrote:

We have "another" flood watch for Friday. Maybe my
weeds will drown. No such luck.

Weeds love water. The desert blooms.

I heard your winds pick up a trailer and flipped it over,
killing the occupant. Very sad hearing this.

Not sure. A semi trailer flipped on its side though.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 04/04/2017 6:56 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 15:28:58 -0700, wrote:

We have "another" flood watch for Friday. Maybe my
weeds will drown. No such luck.

Weeds love water. The desert blooms.

One of the locals who's moved to Phoenix was in the donut shop (aka "The
Intellectual Center") at coffee the other morning mentioned how much
rain they'd had. Of course, when it does rain desert turns into garden
overnight...

We have now just had 4" since last Thursday/Friday including a couple
inches of snow here this afternoon after an inch of rain. That broke a
60+ day dry streak during which had largest grass fires in state's
recorded history...burned 60% of Clark County alone, some 375,000 A
(almost 600 sq mi).

http://wildfiretoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/PlainsFires_3-7-2017.jpg

Satellite image of number/location. This was taken the second day after
winds had switched from south to the north. It was over a week before
all were fully contained.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/08/us/kansas-wildfires-livestock-lost/

I heard your winds pick up a trailer and flipped it over,
killing the occupant. Very sad hearing this.

Not sure. A semi trailer flipped on its side though.

Happens out here pretty regularly, too. There were several I heard of
that weekend. Not this time, but actually managed to tip an empty box
car of its trucks once a number of years ago..it was sitting on a siding
by a grain elevator between two bins that formed a venturi so local
windspeed probably well in excess of 100 mph locally.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Apr 2017 19:49:44 -0500, dpb wrote:

[...]

I saw similar stories. Farmers were shooting their suffering annuals
to stop the suffering. Sad indeed.

Places like the Florida Everglades may get a single lightning strike,
spark a fire and burn for many days. Killing all types of animals and
forage for them. It is a natural thing that occurs there.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 04/04/2017 8:34 PM, Oren wrote:

Places like the Florida Everglades may get a single lightning strike,
spark a fire and burn for many days. Killing all types of animals and
forage for them. It is a natural thing that occurs there.

It's a natural thing for the High Plains, too, just that generally don't
get totally out of control to where can't at least protect cattle and
farmsteads/ranches any longer.

But, when the wind is 50 mph plus and it's as dry as we were, there's
just nothing one can do for the most part.

The estimate is that typically any given spot here burned once in five
years or so before settled permanently. And, certainly before there was
permanent settlement such a fire while record-setting since wouldn't
have been that terribly unusual; it'd burned until there were rains or
finally ran into areas that weren't so dry already.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Tue, 04 Apr 2017 19:49:44 -0500, dpb wrote:
I saw similar stories. Farmers were shooting their suffering annuals
to stop the suffering. Sad indeed.

The amount of loss is staggering...besides cattle, many were burned out
entirely. One of the larger operations but still family owned/operated
lost something over 200 miles of fence. At roughly $8-10K/mile
replacement cost...

Our place is in the middle of about 10 miles of uninterrupted native
grass -- we are always alert during this time of year when the red flag
warnings are out especially...there were several smaller within 10-15 mi
of us, but fortunately for us downwind. Lost 5 houses in the largest in
the county but only two were occupied but several farmsteads burned
losing equipment and sheds...fortunately no lives and weren't any cattle
caught...it was only 5-6,000 A.