Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 220v socket is loose

I'm renting a room from a woman and the power is 220 Volts. More than
once she has scorched one pin of her room heater's plug. The last
guy who replaced it adviced her to only turn on one of the two heater
halves.

I replaced the plug too and pointed out that if the receptacle is
loose, that's a problem too. She showed me that her bedroom socket
barely grips the plug or not at all.

She hasn't asked me yet to replace the whole socket, and even if I
did... the apartment was wired for internet cable, so it must have
been remodeled not that long ago, and I'm guessintg the electric
sockets were replaced too (I can ask her.)

So.... Is there a device one can put into a 220v. socket (receptacle)
that will expand and make a tight connection with a loose socket?

Or any other way around her problem?

Also, I brought an American extension cord with me, so I would only
need one adapter for the computer, the camera charger, the phone
charger, and the earpiece charger, all of which together don't use
that much iirc, but somone tells me a US extension cord might not be
able to handle 220v. What say ye?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Micky" wrote in message ...

[...]

As long wire is not made for auto ind. wire will handle voltage OK
it is current that is concern but what you have nothing to worry about!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 10:22:49 -0700, "Tony944"
wrote:

"Micky" wrote in message ...

[...]

No kidding. :-)
Whenever I run internet cable - I make sure to also :
: re-model
: re-wire
: and replace all the copper plumbing with new copper
... because you just never know, do you.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/20/2017 1:14 PM, Micky wrote:

Also, I brought an American extension cord with me, so I would only
need one adapter for the computer, the camera charger, the phone
charger, and the earpiece charger, all of which together don't use
that much iirc, but someone tells me a US extension cord might not be
able to handle 220v. What say ye?

It is the amps, not the volts to be concerned about. Are you talking
voltage adapter? If you plug the adapter into the 220 socket and the
cord into the adapter it is only carrying 110, not 220 as the adapter
reduces
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/20/2017 12:14 PM, Micky wrote:
I'm renting a room from a woman and the power is 220 Volts. More than
once she has scorched one pin of her room heater's plug. The last
guy who replaced it adviced her to only turn on one of the two heater
halves.

If it was loose, the wiring might be burned so I'd turn the power off to
inspect.

To answer your question though , yes, the receptacle needs to be replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 19:14:02 +0200, Micky
wrote:

[...]

Nothing you can insert in the plug will tighten it up. What country
and what style of 220 plug?? American extention cords, by and large,
are insulated to withstand a minimum of 300 volts -and many are rated
for 600.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Micky" wrote in message ...

[...]

The cord insulation needs to be rated for the voltage, Tony - but
since MOST electrical extention cords are rated for 300 he does not
have a problem unless he took a cheap-assed chinese cord that does not
meet any regulations.

You didn't do something stupid like that, did you Miky??
When I travel to areas that use 240 volts I take a good power bar and
a "universal power plug adapter kit" to make the power bar plug fit
the local power plug., then all my "universal" power supplies with
american style plugs work perfectly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 14:42:00 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 3/20/2017 1:14 PM, Micky wrote:

Also, I brought an American extension cord with me, so I would only
need one adapter for the computer, the camera charger, the phone
charger, and the earpiece charger, all of which together don't use
that much iirc, but someone tells me a US extension cord might not be
able to handle 220v. What say ye?

It is the amps, not the volts to be concerned about. Are you talking
voltage adapter? If you plug the adapter into the 220 socket and the
cord into the adapter it is only carrying 110, not 220 as the adapter
reduces

No, he is using a plug adapter to adapt the 120 volt cord to the 240
volt plug so he can plug in his "universal" power supplies and devices
to 240 volts using his regular 120 volt 15 amp plugs.. Fairly common
practice among international travellers from North America.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 17:51:39 -0400, wrote:

[...]

Good to know. I didn't think it was only me, but it was a better idea
than carrying 4 plug adapters, though I think I have 3 with me.

So far I haven't needed it because I've been charging the phone from
the computer port (and the earpiece from either the second half of a
Y-cable or after the phone is charged. The earpiece doesn't take
long.)

But now** I hooked up my USB speakers, which work really well, and
with the keyboard and the mouse and the charging cable, that's 4, 5 if
I want a flashdrive too, but I only have 3 ports. So I brought a USB
hub and sometimes it work fine and sometimes the mouse stops working
in it Maybe I'll buy another one of those, but it looked like a good
brand, "USB". What could be better than that?

**She also found me a thin-screen monitor which is bigger than what
the acer aspire one has, but it uses up one of the AC outlets. She
has a whole bunch of 3-in1 for AC plugs , but she lost them as soon as
she found them. Most of this is round pin, but the plug for the
monitor had rectangular pins. they were harder to push into the wall.
Maybe that is the solution, if I can find something like that.

She was has a plug adapter for both 110 and 220 volte plugs that she
couldn't push the plug from my computer into the adapter without my
doing it. This might be it! It 's good to have someone to talk this
out with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 1:14:09 PM UTC-4, Micky wrote:
I'm renting a room from a woman and the power is 220 Volts. More than
once she has scorched one pin of her room heater's plug. The last
guy who replaced it adviced her to only turn on one of the two heater
halves.

I replaced the plug too and pointed out that if the receptacle is
loose, that's a problem too. She showed me that her bedroom socket
barely grips the plug or not at all.

She hasn't asked me yet to replace the whole socket, and even if I
did...

I'd be real careful about fiddling with electric or anything else
that has the potential for big problems in a place you're renting.

the apartment was wired for internet cable, so it must have
been remodeled not that long ago, and I'm guessintg the electric
sockets were replaced too (I can ask her.)

Because you add internet you must have been remodeled and upgraded?

So.... Is there a device one can put into a 220v. socket (receptacle)
that will expand and make a tight connection with a loose socket?

No

Or any other way around her problem?

Why doesn't she just call an electrician and get if fixed before she
kills someone?

Also, I brought an American extension cord with me, so I would only
need one adapter for the computer, the camera charger, the phone
charger, and the earpiece charger, all of which together don't use
that much iirc, but somone tells me a US extension cord might not be
able to handle 220v. What say ye?

I would think the insulation on typical US extensions would be good
to 220V+
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm renting a room from a woman and the power is 220 Volts. More than
once she has scorched one pin of her room heater's plug. The last
guy who replaced it adviced her to only turn on one of the two heater
halves.

I replaced the plug too and pointed out that if the receptacle is
loose, that's a problem too. She showed me that her bedroom socket
barely grips the plug or not at all.

She hasn't asked me yet to replace the whole socket, and even if I
did... the apartment was wired for internet cable, so it must have
been remodeled not that long ago, and I'm guessintg the electric
sockets were replaced too (I can ask her.)

So.... Is there a device one can put into a 220v. socket (receptacle)
that will expand and make a tight connection with a loose socket?

Or any other way around her problem?

You need to rewire that whole place immediately. I can smell the wood
charring around those wires right now. Either begin rewiring IMMEDIATELY
(as in TODAY), or just toss a gallon of gasoline in that place along
with a lit match. The life you save may be your own, as well as that of
all your neighbors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/20/2017 01:14 PM, Micky wrote:
So.... Is there a device one can put into a 220v. socket (receptacle)
that will expand and make a tight connection with a loose socket?

When purchasing electrical receptacles, most people buy the 99 cent ones.

Next time, buy the 6 dollar one and the plugs won't fall out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 16:31:38 -0700 (PDT)
trader_4

wrote:

I would think

It is always very dangerous for anyone to follow your advice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

She showed me that her bedroom socket
barely grips the plug or not at all.

sounds like a very personal problem

Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky wrote in
:

I'm renting a room from a woman and the power is 220 Volts. More than
once she has scorched one pin of her room heater's plug. The last
guy who replaced it adviced her to only turn on one of the two heater
halves.

I replaced the plug too and pointed out that if the receptacle is
loose, that's a problem too. She showed me that her bedroom socket
barely grips the plug or not at all.

Worn out. Safety hazard. Replace it.

She hasn't asked me yet to replace the whole socket, and even if I
did... the apartment was wired for internet cable, so it must have
been remodeled not that long ago, and I'm guessintg the electric
sockets were replaced too (I can ask her.)

Why would you think that? There's absolutely NO reason to suppose that the cable internet
installer would replace line-voltage electrical outlets as well -- or is competent to.

So.... Is there a device one can put into a 220v. socket (receptacle)
that will expand and make a tight connection with a loose socket?

You've got to be kidding me. The receptacle is worn out and DANGEROUS. It needs to be
replaced NOW, before it starts a fire.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 13:52:55 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

Micky wrote in
:

[...]

You forgot who asked the question??