Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ping Oren: bullets that won't penetrate sheetrock

Hi Oren,

A customer told me yesterday that he uses a bullet in his 45
ACP that won't penetrate sheetrock. He could not remember
what they were called. You know what they are called?

-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/17/2017 05:48 PM, T wrote:
Hi Oren,

A customer told me yesterday that he uses a bullet in his 45
ACP that won't penetrate sheetrock. He could not remember
what they were called. You know what they are called?

-T

He said they looked like a large opening hollow point
covered with an aluminum jacket
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/17/2017 06:51 PM, T wrote:
On 03/17/2017 05:48 PM, T wrote:
Hi Oren,

A customer told me yesterday that he uses a bullet in his 45
ACP that won't penetrate sheetrock. He could not remember
what they were called. You know what they are called?

-T

He said they looked like a large opening hollow point
covered with an aluminum jacket

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaser_Safety_Slug
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 17:51:20 -0700, T wrote:

On 03/17/2017 05:48 PM, T wrote:
Hi Oren,

A customer told me yesterday that he uses a bullet in his 45
ACP that won't penetrate sheetrock. He could not remember
what they were called. You know what they are called?

-T

He said they looked like a large opening hollow point
covered with an aluminum jacket

Maybe something like what Air Marshals use on planes. They won't go
through the skin on the plane. Not sure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/17/2017 06:11 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 03/17/2017 06:51 PM, T wrote:
On 03/17/2017 05:48 PM, T wrote:
Hi Oren,

A customer told me yesterday that he uses a bullet in his 45
ACP that won't penetrate sheetrock. He could not remember
what they were called. You know what they are called?

-T

He said they looked like a large opening hollow point
covered with an aluminum jacket

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaser_Safety_Slug

Thank you! They are an option.

He said these were an expanding hollow point with a really
wide opening and an aluminum jacket.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/17/2017 05:48 PM, T wrote:
Hi Oren,

A customer told me yesterday that he uses a bullet in his 45
ACP that won't penetrate sheetrock. He could not remember
what they were called. You know what they are called?

-T

He said they looked like a large opening hollow point
covered with an aluminum jacket

Maybe something like what Air Marshals use on planes. They won't go
through the skin on the plane. Not sure.

Has your wife ever heard of these?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 19:11:03 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 03/17/2017 06:51 PM, T wrote:
On 03/17/2017 05:48 PM, T wrote:
Hi Oren,

A customer told me yesterday that he uses a bullet in his 45
ACP that won't penetrate sheetrock. He could not remember
what they were called. You know what they are called?

-T

He said they looked like a large opening hollow point
covered with an aluminum jacket

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaser_Safety_Slug

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaser_Safety_Slug#Usage
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/17/2017 05:48 PM, T wrote:
Hi Oren,

A customer told me yesterday that he uses a bullet in his 45
ACP that won't penetrate sheetrock. He could not remember
what they were called. You know what they are called?

-T

He said they looked like a large opening hollow point
covered with an aluminum jacket

Maybe something like what Air Marshals use on planes. They won't go
through the skin on the plane. Not sure.

Has your wife ever heard of these?

My guess is she "knows everything" if you ask her :-)

She is a former range officer that taught 37mm stun guns for close
range shots in prison cells.

Now if I could get her to learn about Windows OS.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/17/2017 06:51 PM, T wrote:
On 03/17/2017 05:48 PM, T wrote:
Hi Oren,

A customer told me yesterday that he uses a bullet in his 45
ACP that won't penetrate sheetrock. He could not remember
what they were called. You know what they are called?

-T

He said they looked like a large opening hollow point
covered with an aluminum jacket

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaser_Safety_Slug

Thank you! They are an option.

He said these were an expanding hollow point with a really
wide opening and an aluminum jacket.

Noted:
The United States Federal Air Marshal Service tested and used the
Glaser Safety Slug extensively in the 1970s and 80s on board commercial
passenger aircraft to defend against hijackers. Air Marshals are now
issued SIG Sauer P229 pistols with a 12-round capacity firing
conventional-jacketed hollow point ammunition in .357 SIG

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/18/2017 04:17 AM, burfordTjustice wrote:
firing
conventional-jacketed hollow point ammunition

Any idea what that ammunition is?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 17:06:44 -0700, T wrote:

On 03/18/2017 04:17 AM, burfordTjustice wrote:
firing
conventional-jacketed hollow point ammunition

Any idea what that ammunition is?

http://www.gun-tests.com/issues/27_1...s-26552-1.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/18/2017 7:06 PM, T wrote:
On 03/18/2017 04:17 AM, burfordTjustice wrote:
firing
conventional-jacketed hollow point ammunition

Any idea what that ammunition is?

It could be most anything. Perhaps frangible rounds designed to break
up on impact.

Ammunition today is "not your father's ammunition"! It's amazing what's
out there for the consumer. I've shot .380ACP ammo with a bullet weight
of ~ 55 gr that will attain almost 2000fps velocity. For reference, a
common .22LR bullet is 40gr.

Same thing with 9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP. Extremely light bullets
designed to inflict maximum damage at extremely high velocity with "sub
par" penetration. Glaser ain't the only low penetration load out there,
just the first. FWIW, it's a hollow point design but hardly hollow.
The cavity is filled with teflon and bird shot and capped with polymer cap.

When discussing low penetration rounds, it's good to remember that other
ammo called less than lethal, less lethal, etc. can still kill you and
does in many instances. I would not want to be the test subject
standing behind a target placed on 5/8" drywall with any of the rounds
out there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/18/2017 7:06 PM, T wrote:
[...]

I want the bad guys dead and my neighbors alive
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/19/2017 12:06 AM, T wrote:
On 3/18/2017 7:06 PM, T wrote:
On 03/18/2017 04:17 AM, burfordTjustice wrote:
firing

[snip]

When discussing low penetration rounds, it's good to remember that other
ammo called less than lethal, less lethal, etc. can still kill you and
does in many instances. I would not want to be the test subject
standing behind a target placed on 5/8" drywall with any of the rounds
out there.

I want the bad guys dead and my neighbors alive

Agreed. My point was there is no guarantee, no magic bullet that will
ensure that. Fundamental safety rules apply.

Still, we're a lot closer to the "magic bullet(s)" now than we were a
decade or so ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 22:06:02 -0700, T wrote:

On 3/18/2017 7:06 PM, T wrote:
[...]

Easy. Shoot only when your target is in sight and your neighbor isn't
standing behind him. Generally, a .45 won't pass through the body and
go through the drywall, ordinarily :-)

--
'...we don't wanna bring our guns, but ready if it goes there -- Madison Rising
Posted to alt.home.repair

When discussing low penetration rounds, it's good to remember that other
ammo called less than lethal, less lethal, etc. can still kill you and
does in many instances. I would not want to be the test subject
standing behind a target placed on 5/8" drywall with any of the rounds
out there.

The 'non-lethal' rubber bullets used by the Brits in Ireland certainly
proved lethal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/19/2017 2:13 PM, rbowman wrote:

When discussing low penetration rounds, it's good to remember that other
ammo called less than lethal, less lethal, etc. can still kill you and
does in many instances. I would not want to be the test subject
standing behind a target placed on 5/8" drywall with any of the rounds
out there.

The 'non-lethal' rubber bullets used by the Brits in Ireland certainly
proved lethal.

It's all about shot placement.

Locally, a deputy killed a bad guy (deemed to be a solid shooting) with
a bean bag round. OTOH, I know of an instance where a 70 year old woman
took three hits from the same type round and it didn't phase her as
she'd created her own "body armor" using newspapers and they didn't hit
her in the noggin.

Repeat after me: "There is no such thing as a non-lethal round!" Even
a round classified "less than lethal" can kill.

Ping: Oren Tekkie® Home Repair 4 February 9th 17 10:32 PM
Ping Oren Tekkie® Home Repair 41 November 25th 15 01:26 PM
Ping: Oren SteveB[_2_] Home Repair 1 December 3rd 07 06:55 PM
PING: Oren jJim McLaughlin Home Repair 0 August 15th 07 02:33 PM