Posted to alt.home.repair
T[_6_] T[_6_] is offline

Default ping Oren: bullets that won't penetrate sheetrock

On 3/18/2017 7:06 PM, T wrote:
On 03/18/2017 04:17 AM, burfordTjustice wrote:
firing
conventional-jacketed hollow point ammunition

Any idea what that ammunition is?

It could be most anything. Perhaps frangible rounds designed to break
up on impact.

Ammunition today is "not your father's ammunition"! It's amazing what's
out there for the consumer. I've shot .380ACP ammo with a bullet weight
of ~ 55 gr that will attain almost 2000fps velocity. For reference, a
common .22LR bullet is 40gr.

Same thing with 9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP. Extremely light bullets
designed to inflict maximum damage at extremely high velocity with "sub
par" penetration. Glaser ain't the only low penetration load out there,
just the first. FWIW, it's a hollow point design but hardly hollow. The
cavity is filled with teflon and bird shot and capped with polymer cap.

When discussing low penetration rounds, it's good to remember that other
ammo called less than lethal, less lethal, etc. can still kill you and
does in many instances. I would not want to be the test subject
standing behind a target placed on 5/8" drywall with any of the rounds
out there.

I want the bad guys dead and my neighbors alive