Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lying, liars, and the truth of it all

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 12:14:38 AM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 3/13/2017 9:45 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, March 12, 2017 at 2:13:40 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 3/12/2017 12:24 PM, philo wrote:

Trumps lies have no bearing on any previous liar president.

I've been trying to think of one person I've ever known who never told a
lie, and can't think of anyone. So, I'm going to conclude that we've
all told lies, and if a person who tells lies is a liar, does that mean
we're all "liars"?

I guess we all have different reasons for telling lies, big or small,
and most of those reasons are harmless, like, not wanting to hurt
someones feelings with "you really do look fat in those pants", or "YES,
your parents are hard to get along with".

Sometimes, we even give our own conclusions about things and someone
calls us a liar because they don't agree that what we've said is the
truth, but to the one who said it, it IS true.

So, why don't we call each other liars for those sort of lies, too? Why
only consider the biggie lies to be the ones we get bent out of shape
over?

Following that logic, why draw a distinction between murder and speeding?

Lying is a communication practice EVERYONE has done, and they don't
think twice about doing it under certain circumstances. Yet, the same
people also don't think twice about being judgmental and critical of
some public figure who is caught in a lie - which is something EVERYONE
does. So, why are some lies OK, and others aren't?

How many more times must it be explained to you? There is a huge
difference over some private citizen telling a friend that the meal
they just cooked is delicious when it's not and the POTUS lying about
the murder rate, lying about Arabs celebrating on 9/11. You're obviously the village idiot or a troll.

It's because we've accepted that lying is valid tool in communicating,

Maybe you and the Trumpets have accepted that, many of us have not.

and at the same time we have drawn nebulous lines in the sand as to how
we'll judge other people who lie, even though we're all guilty of it
ourselves.

Murder and speeding aren't even comparable.

Neither is a white lie to a friend about how a meal tastes and the
POTUS lying about matters of real substance, hence the comparison.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/14/2017 10:24 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

AS IF because someone else "explains" something that means they are
right and can't be challenged in their reasoning or conclusions?

Get a grip.

There is a huge
difference over some private citizen telling a friend that the meal
they just cooked is delicious when it's not and the POTUS lying about
the murder rate, lying about Arabs celebrating on 9/11.

There is NO difference.

A lie is a lie - it's not the truth. WHY do *you* give some people a
free pass??

--
Maggie