barry martin

Default Oven temperature

M We have a 13 yo frigidaire self-cleaning electric stove which has always
M tended to burn muffins, cakes etc but not other types of food. The
M thermostat appears to maintain the temperature but could it possibly be
M staying on too long? I have replaced the bottom element twice, due to
M burnout, but that has not resolved the problem. Possibly, there is not
M enough insulation? How long should the oven retain a temp of 300F before th

M element comes back on?

Not that this answers the question at all but we have a Whirlpool
Accubake gas oven -- baked goods come out evenly cooked; previous
ovens (in rented housing and the 'old' one here at the house) had
uneven baking. The 'old' oven here has been moved to the kitchenette
area in the basement -- cooking down there helps keep the first floor
cool in the summer.

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Headline: Child's stool great for use in garden
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *
Dave Harnish

Hi,

'Not an insulation-related problem. Baked goods made from batter
are most sensitive to crusting and surface burning.

I wonder if you've tried moving the racks up/down. You didn't say
whether it's burning on the top or bottom, but the broil element will
do too much top-browning (becoming 'top-blacking' g) if the rack's
up too high (the broil element's usually used during bake, either on
120V, or cycled on/off, to provide the necessary top-browning -
shouldn't get red-hot).

At 300F, most SC ovens I see will cycle back on after about 3-5
minutes. You have to use a remote-sensing thermometer (with a
thermocouple) to get an accurate average temperature. It's just not
possible to get an accurate reading by opening the door repeatedly
to read a non-remote type (most of those aren't very accurate anyway).

To calibrate, preheat at 350F, then watch 3 or 4 on/off cycles,
writing the o/o temps down, and then average the figures to arrive
at a calibration temp. Should be within 20F or so of the set temp.
Your Frigidaire probably has some adjustment available on the back
of the tstat knob.

I'd have a pro check it with a good thermometer, especially if it's
never been done (My wife bakes a lot, and I have to recal. our own
oven every 1-1/2 to 2 years). Or buy a digital meter with temperature
capability and a thermocouple. Cheaper than a service call these days,
and you'll be surprised at how many other uses you'll find for one.

Hope that's of some help.

God bless,

Dave Harnish
Dave's Repair Service
New Albany, PA
www.DavesRepair.com

570-363-2404

I'm a 32-year pro appliance technician, and love sharing what
I've learned - in a FREE Monthly Appliance Tips Newsletter.
(Back issues now posted here too!)
www.DavesRepair.com

John 3:3

news:1661175587.4100.97.2999067.1515805409.RIMEGat ...