C L

Default Whirlpool oven problem after power outage

I've got a built-in Whirlpool oven with electronic controls. Had a power
outage recently, and when the power came back, the display showed "PF,"
which the manual says is normal -- PF = power failure.

However, the exhaust fan is now always on. The oven won't turn on unless I
set the temperature to above 400 degrees F, and stops before the oven gets
to that temperature. I've tried shutting the power off to the oven from the
electrical panel to reset the electronics but that didn't help. I don't
have access to the wall plug - it's hidden behind the wall oven and I have
to take the whole oven out to get to it - so I can't unplug it directly from
the wall socket (if that makes any difference). I'm thinking that 2 things
could have gone wrong: (1) electronics are fried, or (2) temperature sensor
is shot. I'm leaning towards the temperature sensor as the cause, but after
I found out how much it costs, I thought I'd better be sure before getting
one. (Man, they're expensive!) Then again, the electronic controls are
probably even more expensive.

Any advice and thoughts will be much appreciated.

jeff

"C L" wrote in message news:JBQrb.361115$pl3.178826@pd7tw3no...

Hi,

I've got a built-in Whirlpool oven with electronic controls.

Model#?
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
Some model# helps.

Had a power
outage recently, and when the power came back, the display showed "PF,"
which the manual says is normal -- PF = power failure.

PF is common for a clock that has lost power.

However, the exhaust fan is now always on.

Something welded/stuck closed....relay, thermostat?

The oven won't turn on unless I
set the temperature to above 400 degrees F, and stops before the oven gets
to that temperature.

Bad clock, bad temp sensor, temp sensor wires are the 2 common trouble
makers for that type of a problem.

I've tried shutting the power off to the oven from the
electrical panel to reset the electronics but that didn't help. I don't
have access to the wall plug - it's hidden behind the wall oven and I have
to take the whole oven out to get to it - so I can't unplug it directly from
the wall socket (if that makes any difference).

Turning the fuses/breaker off should have the same effect as
unplugging it.

I'm thinking that 2 things
could have gone wrong: (1) electronics are fried, or (2) temperature sensor
is shot. I'm leaning towards the temperature sensor as the cause, but after
I found out how much it costs, I thought I'd better be sure before getting
one. (Man, they're expensive!) Then again, the electronic controls are
probably even more expensive.

Any advice and thoughts will be much appreciated.

Oven temp sensor is the cheaper of the 2 parts to try....but may still
not help with that fan!??! Most oven temp sensor can be
ohmed....*some* info on those...
http://www.applianceaid.com/changingoventempsensor.html
http://www.applianceaid.com/oven_temp_sensors_help.html

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
C L

Thanks Jeff for the tips and website. Quite a bit of info there. I
measured the resistance of the temp sensor and it was just over 1000 ohms at
room temperature, so it seems to be in the right range. While taking the
electronic panel out, I found a technical specs sheet hidden inside. It
says pressing the Cancel/Off button for 5 seconds would start a self-test
function for the control board. I tried it, and it returned a result of no
fault.

Not sure what else to try.

"jeff" wrote in message
m...