Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ground Connection For Furnace And Generator

Oh boy, another ground question. These discussions are always lively. :-)

I lost power from the wind storm that hit the Great Lakes area on Wednesday. Last night I
borrowed a generator from a friend to get the furnace going. I simply unhooked the wires
from the breaker to the switch for the furnace and used an extension cord (with the receptacle
end cut off) and wire nutted the hot to hot, neutral to neutral, and ground to ground from
the generator to the wire that goes from the switch to the furnace. Everything worked fine,
other than the fact that the power came back on less than 3 hours later. It figures.

Since then, I've done some reading and found these 2 "facts":

1 - I read a generator related post in an HVAC forum that says that the control board in many
HE furnaces require a really good ground in order to operate properly.

2 - The manual for the generator says:

"Grounding

The generator system ground connects the frame to the ground terminals on the power panel.
- The generator (stator winding) is isolated from the frame and from the AC receptacle
ground pin.
- Electrical devices that require a grounded receptacle pin connection will not function
if the ground pin is not functional. "

The manual also says that the ground terminal on the power panel can be remotely
grounded by using a ground rod.

So, this indicates to me that I was running my furnace without a ground, which sort
of (sort of) goes against claim #1 that the control boards need a good ground to
operate properly. Of course, maybe my furnace *seemed* to have been operating
properly with the generator but really wasn't, or maybe my control board doesn't
even need a ground.

Comments?