Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Ground Connection For Furnace And Generator

On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 11:56:23 AM UTC-5, wrote:

So, this indicates to me that I was running my furnace without a ground, which sort
of (sort of) goes against claim #1 that the control boards need a good ground to
operate properly. Of course, maybe my furnace *seemed* to have been operating
properly with the generator but really wasn't, or maybe my control board doesn't
even need a ground.

Comments?

Excellent question...

the usual reason the controllers need a ground is for flame sensor. This usually applies to GAS fired devices. The electronics senses the flame as it touches metal parts that are grounded. If the electronics does not have a good ground, this may not work reliably.

The solution would be to use a three prong plug with a ground to connect the furnace to the generator. Connect the white and black wires as you did. Connect the green wire to the ground in the outlet box where you tapped in which should also connect to the frame of the furnace.

I didn't say anything about an "outlet box". I said I connected the generator wires at the *switch*
for the furnace.

What am I missing here...

I did use a 3 prong plug. As I said, I connected hot to hot, neutral to neutral and ground to
ground from the generator to the wire that goes from the switch to the furnace. Even if the
ground wire in the switch box goes to the frame of the furnace, if the generator ground pin
is not really grounded, then the furnace isn't grounded.

I don't see how your suggestion is any different than what I actually did. Am I missing something
or did you?

If the flame sensor does not work correctly, then add a jumper wire to connect the white and green together.

My generator actually already has the white and green tied together at the outlet box.

If your furnace worked OK as it was, then I wouldn't worry about it. THe flame sensors need only a high impedance ground to work correctly. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Mark