Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tracking not free at USPS

A few months ago there was a thread that claimed that tracking in the US
postal service was free for any package or letter.

Not so.

It's free with certified mail and some other things but to just send a
letter, it's about $6.50. I think for the same money one can send
certified mail, return reciept, with tracking, but I didn't have any use
for certification or a receipt.

But it's not at all free. And of course not. Otherwise people would be
using it for trivialities.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2017 1:54 PM, micky wrote:
A few months ago there was a thread that claimed that tracking in the US
postal service was free for any package or letter.

Not so.

It's free with certified mail and some other things but to just send a
letter, it's about $6.50. I think for the same money one can send
certified mail, return reciept, with tracking, but I didn't have any use
for certification or a receipt.

But it's not at all free. And of course not. Otherwise people would be
using it for trivialities.

I sent a jump drive across the country last week via USPS.
Total cost was $2.67.
This included a tracking number on my receipt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 07 Mar 2017 13:54:27 -0500, micky
wrote:

A few months ago there was a thread that claimed that tracking in the US
postal service was free for any package or letter.

Not so.

It's free with certified mail and some other things but to just send a
letter, it's about $6.50. I think for the same money one can send
certified mail, return reciept, with tracking, but I didn't have any use
for certification or a receipt.

But it's not at all free. And of course not. Otherwise people would be
using it for trivialities.

Anything sent priority mail is tracked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 07 Mar 2017 20:54:51 -0800, Oren wrote in

Something odd last week I never saw before. Amazon split an order
(okay). The delivery was done by individuals using their private
vehicles. On day a guy in his van, the next a woman in her car. The
next day UPS showed up with the heavy box. Shipping was free and I
tracked all the parcels. :-)

Looks like Amazon is cutting costs by contracting out delivery
services to individuals who probably don't know how to calculate the
full cost of operating their vehicle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 08 Mar 2017 04:45:05 -0600, CRNG
wrote:

Looks like Amazon is cutting costs by contracting out delivery
services to individuals who probably don't know how to calculate the
full cost of operating their vehicle.

I am sure that is some of it but these independent contractors do not
have the added costs that a licensed common carrier has. It is like
the difference between a "medallion cab" and an Uber.