Posted to alt.home.repair
Wade Garrett Wade Garrett is offline

Default Tracking not free at USPS

On 3/7/17 4:45 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 07 Mar 2017 13:54:27 -0500, micky
wrote:

A few months ago there was a thread that claimed that tracking in the US
postal service was free for any package or letter.

Not so.

It's free with certified mail and some other things but to just send a
letter, it's about $6.50. I think for the same money one can send
certified mail, return reciept, with tracking, but I didn't have any use
for certification or a receipt.

But it's not at all free. And of course not. Otherwise people would be
using it for trivialities.

Anything sent priority mail is tracked.

As are first class parcels.

The thing is though it's really more a delivery confirmation system than
an actual tracking system. They hit it a few times at the drop-off post
office and "origin" station which is the initial distribution center
that sends it on it's way.

Much of the stuff I ship (and I ship a lot selling on Ebay) goes 2-3-4
days without being scanned at all, They it magically shows up at the
delivery office, then delivered later in the day....and not infrequently
a day or two later than the original "expected delivery" date they show
right after they take your money;-)

UPS, FedEx, and even DHL scan parcels all along the way so you know
where your stuff is and if it's on time.

--
Never Squat With Your Spurs On.
- Will Rogers