Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are Touchless Faucets Worth The Cost?

I am (was?) considering getting a touchless faucet for the kitchen sink.

Moen has a faucet that we like the looks of. We watched a few videos and the feature
that I liked was the control box that allowed you set the temperature of the water when the
faucet was activated by the touchless sensor. SWMBO and I thought that setting the temp
to warm would be good for washing hands, which is probably the time that we would not
want to touch the faucet. Meat juices, sticky messes, etc.

Well, it turns out that the adjustable control box was only used on the first generation
of Moen's touchless faucets and no longer available. The water will be at whatever
temperature the handle was last left at. To adjust the temperature once it is turned on
via the touchless sensor, you have to....wait for it....*touch* the handle.

So, without that feature, I'm not sure a touchless faucet is worth the extra money,
other than for the novelty.

I'm looking for opinions from those have tried them or opted not to get one for a specific
reason.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 6, 2017 at 8:58:20 AM UTC-8, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

If you have the extra money go for it and let us know the results.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Mar 2017 08:58:16 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

In most cases they are just an expensive "gimmick". _ More to go
wrong. Wr have them in the one church washroom - for that use they
are OK, but there is no temp adjustment (cold only)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 6, 2017 at 11:58:20 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I'd be concerned about how long the motion sensing electronics will work,
as well as whatever electromechanical device they use to work the valve.
It's more complex, costs more, and my guess would be that there is a good
chance it will go kaput or need expensive parts before a regular faucet.

The fact that it opens to whatever the previous setting was is a factor
too. I guess that's OK, as it's most useful when your hands are dirty
from working with raw meat or similar, you just want a little warer
and you don't want to touch the handle.

I was looking at faucets recently and from what I've seen so far,
even $250 faucets are made with a lot of plastic now, eg the pull
down faucet end, usually the part it goes into, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 6, 2017 at 12:49:07 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

That's my main issue. The older Moen's could be set to warm for the no-touch on.
That's what I want when my hands are slimy from beef, etc. Cold water won't break
that down as fast, so I'd still need to touch the handle.

The new Moen's don't have that temp control. It looks like a couple of Pfister models
do but the Pfister of today isn't the Price-Pfister of old. The reviews are iffy.

I was looking at faucets recently and from what I've seen so far,
even $250 faucets are made with a lot of plastic now, eg the pull
down faucet end, usually the part it goes into, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Mar 2017 12:15:41 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Yeah, Black and Decker bought Pfister, so the spiral to the drain has
likely begin. Black and Decker + Kiss of Death.

I was looking at faucets recently and from what I've seen so far,
even $250 faucets are made with a lot of plastic now, eg the pull
down faucet end, usually the part it goes into, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/17 10:58 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I am (was?) considering getting a touchless faucet for the kitchen sink.

What do hospitals use?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2017 11:58 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I see enough non-working faucets in public restroom to make me think
there can be problems. I can see it being handy at times though.

I looked at one on Amazon and it has 9% 1 star reviews. Reading them
was enough to convince me not to get one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Mar 2017 16:39:23 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 3/6/17 10:58 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I am (was?) considering getting a touchless faucet for the kitchen sink.

What do hospitals use?

Knee or foot pedal activated units in a surgery room :-)

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/footandkneevalves.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2017 5:39 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 3/6/17 10:58 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I am (was?) considering getting a touchless faucet for the kitchen sink.

What do hospitals use?

Foot pedals.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2017 8:58 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Unless you have a circulating hot water system, expecting a specific
water temperature for a random activation is optimistic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Mar 2017 19:29:22 -0800, mike wrote:

[...]

But a maximum temperature is not.
A thermostatic mix valve will assure the water never gets hotter than
so hot, and gets to that temperature as quickly as possible(unlike a
fixed mix valve)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Mar 2017 19:29:22 -0800, mike wrote:

I am (was?) considering getting a touchless faucet for the kitchen sink.

Moen has a faucet that we like the looks of. We watched a few videos and the feature
that I liked was the control box that allowed you set the temperature of the water when the
faucet was activated by the touchless sensor. SWMBO and I thought that setting the temp
to warm would be good for washing hands, which is probably the time that we would not
want to touch the faucet. Meat juices, sticky messes, etc.

Personally you could not GIVE me one of them for FREE.

Everytime I go to a public restroom and *TRY* to wash my hands with one
of them #$&^(@#*^ things, I spend more time cussing while waving my arms
and hands just to get enough water to rinse the soap off my hands. The
last thing I want is on of them F#$%ing things on my house.....

Just my honest opinion of them!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 6, 2017 at 10:30:18 PM UTC-5, mike wrote:
[...]

My kitchen sink is almost directly above the hot water heater. A long wait for
hot water has never been an issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/17 10:58 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I am (was?) considering getting a touchless faucet for the kitchen sink.

Moen has a faucet that we like the looks of. We watched a few videos and the feature
that I liked was the control box that allowed you set the temperature of the water when the
faucet was activated by the touchless sensor. SWMBO and I thought that setting the temp
to warm would be good for washing hands, which is probably the time that we would not
want to touch the faucet. Meat juices, sticky messes, etc.

There are foot operated kits that make touch faucets, touchless,
at least as far as getting the water on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 7, 2017 at 7:15:43 AM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 3/6/17 10:58 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I am (was?) considering getting a touchless faucet for the kitchen sink.

Moen has a faucet that we like the looks of. We watched a few videos and the feature
that I liked was the control box that allowed you set the temperature of the water when the
faucet was activated by the touchless sensor. SWMBO and I thought that setting the temp
to warm would be good for washing hands, which is probably the time that we would not
want to touch the faucet. Meat juices, sticky messes, etc.

There are foot operated kits that make touch faucets, touchless,
at least as far as getting the water on.

Can you control the temperature with the foot kits?

That's what the paragraph you quoted was about: The need to touch even the
Moen touchless faucet if the handle isn't left where you want it when you
you touchlessly turn the water on.

The older Moen's had a control box which allowed you to set a pre-determined
temperature whenever the touchless feature was used, regardless of where the
handle is set. They removed that feature with the current units.

I can think of 2 reasons:

1 - They stole it form Pfister, who still uses it.
2 - It was more problematic than useful.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/07/2017 09:49 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Can you control the temperature with the foot kits?

That's what the paragraph you quoted was about: The need to touch even the
Moen touchless faucet if the handle isn't left where you want it when you
you touchlessly turn the water on.

The older Moen's had a control box which allowed you to set a pre-determined
temperature whenever the touchless feature was used, regardless of where the
handle is set. They removed that feature with the current units.

I can think of 2 reasons:

1 - They stole it form Pfister, who still uses it.
2 - It was more problematic than useful.

I'll wait for the Amazon Alexa temperature and flow controlled faucet.

"Alexa, set the kitchen faucet to 105 degrees Fahrenheit and 1/2 gallon
per minute flow."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2017 9:22 PM, wrote:
[...]

I believe that's a true statement, but does it apply?
If the flow required to get some warm water to the tap is more than
the total amount
of water you need, a thermostat ain't gonna help you.

Low flow faucets make the time to hot worse.
I'm finding that if I need a glass of warm water in the bathroom,
it's quicker to walk to the kitchen, heat a glass of cold water in the
microwave and walk back to the bathroom. Uses a lot less water and
probably less electricity and I get some exercise in the process.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 9, 2017 at 3:14:37 AM UTC-5, mike wrote:
On 3/6/2017 9:22 PM, wrote:
[...]

Even if you have no circulation system or special valve, a faucet
that defaults to a set temp when activated would allow you to
avoid having it blast you with full hot if that was what was
last used. If you set it to lukewarm, it might be the temp of
the water sitting in the pipes, or it might be lukewarm, but it's
not going to be 130F. And there is at least some chance that you'd get
the desired temp water, as opposed to what temp was last used.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2017 9:22 PM, wrote:
[...]

You betcha. It's all about the requirements.
If you're the only one using that faucet and you know for sure
the last temperature, and that temperature is what you want, you're good
to go.
Note the word "might" in your response. Maybe it will, maybe it won't.
Determine the cost. Determine the benefit. Make the decision if benefit
exceeds cost.

I think most people have three requirements.
1 cold as possible
2 hot as possible
3 don't burn me
Add as many as you like.

Attach a percentage number to each representing the number of times
the temperature you want is the same as the temperature last used AND
the current temperatures in the pipe allow the flow to start at that
temperature.

When I do that calculation it comes out near zero benefit.
Turning down the water heater temperature fixes the "don't burn me"
state.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 09 Mar 2017 00:13:42 -0800, mike wrote:

On 3/6/2017 9:22 PM, wrote:
[...]

It ONLY applies if you need enough water to get hot water to the
faucet, obviously

Low flow faucets make the time to hot worse.
I'm finding that if I need a glass of warm water in the bathroom,
it's quicker to walk to the kitchen, heat a glass of cold water in the
microwave and walk back to the bathroom. Uses a lot less water and
probably less electricity and I get some exercise in the process.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2017 9:22 PM, wrote:
[...]

I guess I'm not "most people". Rarely do I need cold as possible and I certainly don't
need hot as possible in a hands free situation. Warm to wash hands is where I would
like my hands free operation to reside. Starting at pipe-temperature and increasing to
the warm setting as hot water becomes available is the reason I wish the temp control
was still available.

Anything other than hands free, such as filling a pot or the dishpan, is where I would
use the handle.

Add as many as you like.

Attach a percentage number to each representing the number of times
the temperature you want is the same as the temperature last used AND
the current temperatures in the pipe allow the flow to start at that
temperature.

When I do that calculation it comes out near zero benefit.
Turning down the water heater temperature fixes the "don't burn me"
state.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Watch for the one, described as resembling the silencer on a sniper rifle, that they said was so simple to install a housewife could do it. They didnt mention whether a trained monkey could.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-1126238-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

oIn alt.home.repair, on Fri, 11 Sep 2020 18:15:02 +0000, Shirley
wrote:

Watch for the one, described as resembling the silencer on a sniper rifle, that they said was so simple to install a housewife could do it. They didn’t mention whether a trained monkey could.

I wouldn' t touch them.