Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are Touchless Faucets Worth The Cost?

On Mon, 6 Mar 2017 08:58:16 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I am (was?) considering getting a touchless faucet for the kitchen sink.

Moen has a faucet that we like the looks of. We watched a few videos and the feature
that I liked was the control box that allowed you set the temperature of the water when the
faucet was activated by the touchless sensor. SWMBO and I thought that setting the temp
to warm would be good for washing hands, which is probably the time that we would not
want to touch the faucet. Meat juices, sticky messes, etc.

Well, it turns out that the adjustable control box was only used on the first generation
of Moen's touchless faucets and no longer available. The water will be at whatever
temperature the handle was last left at. To adjust the temperature once it is turned on
via the touchless sensor, you have to....wait for it....*touch* the handle.

So, without that feature, I'm not sure a touchless faucet is worth the extra money,
other than for the novelty.

I'm looking for opinions from those have tried them or opted not to get one for a specific
reason.

In most cases they are just an expensive "gimmick". _ More to go
wrong. Wr have them in the one church washroom - for that use they
are OK, but there is no temp adjustment (cold only)