Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Coffee grounds in septic system?

On Monday, September 2, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Robyn Landis wrote:
Does anyone know what effect running used coffee grounds down a kitchen
sink/plumbing system into a septic tank will have on the septic? One friend
of mine suggests that it is not only OK but actually good for the pipes, but we
are still concerned about what coffee grounds will do sitting in a septic tank.
Actually, I think it could actually be good for it (after all, coffee grounds are
used as compost) but my husband still wonders. I would appreciate any
educated thoughts or conjecture on this. (It's extremely important to me as
it will mean I don't have to spend that extra 9 seconds every morning
scraping the coffee grounds out of the French press and into the garbage,
and can instead just rinse the press out right in the sink. Imagine the
convenience!)
Thanks in advance.
Robyn

My son in law works for water maint. and works with septic. He's the one who told me that coffee grounds are great for septics and I've been doing it now over a year...everyone else I'e talked to said YES put them down your drain!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Mar 2017 08:56:19 -0800, mothertrucker wrote:

On Monday, September 2, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Robyn Landis wrote:
Does anyone know what effect running used coffee grounds down a kitchen
sink/plumbing system into a septic tank will have on the septic? ...
Thanks in advance.
Robyn

My son in law works for water maint. and works with septic. He's the
one who told me that coffee grounds are great for septics and I've been
doing it now over a year...everyone else I'e talked to said YES put them
down your drain!!

Say, do you really think Robyn has been sitting by her keyboard for the
last *TWENTY-ONE YEARS* waiting for your advice??

(Is this a record?)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2017 12:16 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 6 Mar 2017 08:56:19 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

[...]

Why?!

http://www.septicsolutionstexas.com/Do-Donts.htm

"Some bio-degradable and semi-biodegradable items should also
be thrown out with the trash. These include: egg shells, coffee
grounds, cat litter, clothes dryer lint, and vacuum debris."

I figured it was job security for his son in law. More stuff that goes
into the septic leads to more frequent need to pump the septic tank.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2017 12:33 PM, Sam Hill wrote:
On Mon, 06 Mar 2017 08:56:19 -0800, mothertrucker wrote:

On Monday, September 2, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Robyn Landis wrote:
Does anyone know what effect running used coffee grounds down a kitchen
sink/plumbing system into a septic tank will have on the septic? ...
Thanks in advance.
Robyn

My son in law works for water maint. and works with septic. He's the
one who told me that coffee grounds are great for septics and I've been
doing it now over a year...everyone else I'e talked to said YES put them
down your drain!!

Say, do you really think Robyn has been sitting by her keyboard for the
last *TWENTY-ONE YEARS* waiting for your advice??

(Is this a record?)

Had not noticed that. Usually old crap is from homeownershrub.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Mar 2017 12:53:08 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

My son in law works for water maint. and works with septic. He's the one who told me that coffee grounds are great for septics and I've been doing it now over a year...everyone else I'e talked to said YES put them down your drain!!

Why?!

http://www.septicsolutionstexas.com/Do-Donts.htm

"Some bio-degradable and semi-biodegradable items should also
be thrown out with the trash. These include: egg shells, coffee
grounds, cat litter, clothes dryer lint, and vacuum debris."

I figured it was job security for his son in law. More stuff that goes
into the septic leads to more frequent need to pump the septic tank.

....maybe the son-in-law is a rookie in waste management or a waste
management engineer?