Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Beam Size

I want to expand a door opening from 3' -6'. What size of lumber and beam
type do I need to use to create the beam. It is a bearing wall in the
basement.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1124354-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 23:44:03 GMT, Mike m wrote:

I want to expand a door opening from 3' -6'. What size of lumber and beam
type do I need to use to create the beam. It is a bearing wall in the
basement.

Consult an architectural engineer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

I want to expand a door opening from 3' -6'. What size of lumber
and beam type do I need to use to create the beam. It is a bearing
wall in the basement.

Consult an architectural engineer.

There are online calculators for that . The one I used recommended doubled
2x10's with a 1/2" ply between for a span of 10 feet between supports for my
main floor beams . So I supported them every 8 feet ... my floors don't
"bounce" . I expect that would also be suitable for the OP's header .
To the OP - you will need to support the floor joists on BOTH sides of the
wall while you modify the opening since it is a load wall for the structure
above .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

I want to expand a door opening from 3' -6'. What size of lumber
and beam type do I need to use to create the beam. It is a bearing
wall in the basement.

Consult an architectural engineer.

There are online calculators for that . The one I used recommended doubled
2x10's with a 1/2" ply between for a span of 10 feet between supports for my
main floor beams . So I supported them every 8 feet ... my floors don't
"bounce" . I expect that would also be suitable for the OP's header .
To the OP - you will need to support the floor joists on BOTH sides of the
wall while you modify the opening since it is a load wall for the structure
above .

Would the OP need an inspection? How would that impact on a DIY beam?

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

I want to expand a door opening from 3' -6'. What size of lumber
and beam type do I need to use to create the beam. It is a bearing
wall in the basement.

Consult an architectural engineer.

There are online calculators for that . The one I used recommended doubled
2x10's with a 1/2" ply between for a span of 10 feet between supports for my
main floor beams . So I supported them every 8 feet ... my floors don't
"bounce" . I expect that would also be suitable for the OP's header .
To the OP - you will need to support the floor joists on BOTH sides of the
wall while you modify the opening since it is a load wall for the structure
above .

Would the OP need an inspection? How would that impact on a DIY beam?

Depends on the local requirements. Here in NJ, since it's structural,
it would need a permit and inspection. And how substantial the support
needs to be would seem to depend on what the load is that it's supporting
from above.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

I want to expand a door opening from 3' -6'. What size of lumber
and beam type do I need to use to create the beam. It is a bearing
wall in the basement.

Consult an architectural engineer.

There are online calculators for that . The one I used recommended doubled
2x10's with a 1/2" ply between for a span of 10 feet between supports for my
main floor beams . So I supported them every 8 feet ... my floors don't
"bounce" . I expect that would also be suitable for the OP's header .
To the OP - you will need to support the floor joists on BOTH sides of the
wall while you modify the opening since it is a load wall for the structure
above .

Would the OP need an inspection? How would that impact on a DIY beam?

Definitely requires a permit - and with that usually an inspection.
DIY is OK as long as it meets the spec. Best to have calculations you
can show indicating the solution you are proposing excedes
requirements. They MIGHT require a signed engineer's drawing, but
unlikely as there is a current opening. You DO need to make sure there
is a proper footing under where the load point will be located on both
sides.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike" wrote in message ...

I want to expand a door opening from 3' -6'. What size of lumber and beam
type do I need to use to create the beam. It is a bearing wall in the
basement.

It's tough to say without more information.

Will you be doing the work yourself or have someone else do the work? If
someone else will be doing the work, you can start by making sure it is
someone who has the know-how and skills to do it properly and safely. An
experienced framer will know various ways to achieve what you want. And,
depending on what you have there now, he/she may be able to show you ways to
avoid having a drop-down beam across the top that brings the opening down
lower than you want it to be. -- such as by using a "flush mount support
beam" (Google that term).

Will you be getting a permit to do the work? If so, the entity that issues
the permit will tell you what they require in terms of drawings, possibly
structural engineer's report, etc.

If you are doing it without a permit, you can still hire a structural
engineer for a few hundred dollars (maybe less than $300) to look at what
you have and sketch out a design plan that would work and be safe etc.

Good luck. let us know what you end up doing.

--
I found this free and safe Windows Live Mail Newsreader QuoteFix program:
WLMail QuoteFix - http://www.dusko-lolic.from.hr/wlmquote/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 10:08:22 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

Would the OP need an inspection? How would that impact on a DIY beam?

Depends on the local requirements. Here in NJ, since it's structural,
it would need a permit and inspection. And how substantial the support
needs to be would seem to depend on what the load is that it's supporting
from above.

Some garages use a steel I beam for a double car garage span. Building
my patio cover I used a LAM Beam for a 24 foot span on three columns.
There are concrete lentils used for windows & doors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

m wrote:

[...]

The last sentence here is important. It will involve more work than you
think...

--
Tekkie

What size beam to span 14' 69roadrunner Home Repair 33 July 20th 18 02:46 AM
Beam size for a 14' span in basement. Thumper[_3_] Home Repair 33 December 8th 14 11:20 PM
Odd steel beam section size dg UK diy 5 February 9th 07 08:35 AM
i beam size [email protected] Metalworking 28 April 5th 06 01:18 AM
determining beam size John Home Repair 2 May 28th 05 02:42 PM