Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_7_] TomR[_7_] is offline

Default Beam Size

"Mike" wrote in message ...

I want to expand a door opening from 3' -6'. What size of lumber and beam
type do I need to use to create the beam. It is a bearing wall in the
basement.

It's tough to say without more information.

Will you be doing the work yourself or have someone else do the work? If
someone else will be doing the work, you can start by making sure it is
someone who has the know-how and skills to do it properly and safely. An
experienced framer will know various ways to achieve what you want. And,
depending on what you have there now, he/she may be able to show you ways to
avoid having a drop-down beam across the top that brings the opening down
lower than you want it to be. -- such as by using a "flush mount support
beam" (Google that term).

Will you be getting a permit to do the work? If so, the entity that issues
the permit will tell you what they require in terms of drawings, possibly
structural engineer's report, etc.

If you are doing it without a permit, you can still hire a structural
engineer for a few hundred dollars (maybe less than $300) to look at what
you have and sketch out a design plan that would work and be safe etc.

Good luck. let us know what you end up doing.

--
I found this free and safe Windows Live Mail Newsreader QuoteFix program:
WLMail QuoteFix - http://www.dusko-lolic.from.hr/wlmquote/