Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie® Tekkie® is offline

Default Beam Size

posted for all of us...

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:42:28 -0500, "Kurt V. Ullman"
wrote:

On 2/15/17 11:42 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 23:44:03 GMT, Mike
m wrote:

I want to expand a door opening from 3' -6'. What size of lumber
and beam type do I need to use to create the beam. It is a bearing
wall in the basement.

Consult an architectural engineer.

There are online calculators for that . The one I used recommended doubled
2x10's with a 1/2" ply between for a span of 10 feet between supports for my
main floor beams . So I supported them every 8 feet ... my floors don't
"bounce" . I expect that would also be suitable for the OP's header .
To the OP - you will need to support the floor joists on BOTH sides of the
wall while you modify the opening since it is a load wall for the structure
above .

Would the OP need an inspection? How would that impact on a DIY beam?

Definitely requires a permit - and with that usually an inspection.
DIY is OK as long as it meets the spec. Best to have calculations you
can show indicating the solution you are proposing excedes
requirements. They MIGHT require a signed engineer's drawing, but
unlikely as there is a current opening. You DO need to make sure there
is a proper footing under where the load point will be located on both
sides.

The last sentence here is important. It will involve more work than you
think...

--
Tekkie