Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ()T - Cars - purpose plastic on corner of door frame

What is the purpose of this clear plastic or more likely vinyl piece?

I have a 2000 Toyota Solara two-door, and there is a piece of clear
plastic covering the corner of the "door frame" at the lower rear
corner. It's L-shaped with a rounded corner, like the door, about 3/4"
wide and 4" horizontal from the corner, 4" vertical from the corner,

It also goes into the space between the door and the "frame" about
3/4", and it's on both door frames.
The material is no more than an eighth of an inch thick.

Is it there to protect the door frame? from my long keyring My
pocke****ch. From people climbing into the back seat? I don't think
any of these things woudl hit it.

It's gotten dirty and I'd like to take it off, but if I do, this will be
the last time I remember to ask about it
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 18:23:58 -0500, micky
wrote:

What is the purpose of this clear plastic or more likely vinyl piece?

I have a 2000 Toyota Solara two-door, and there is a piece of clear
plastic covering the corner of the "door frame" at the lower rear
corner. It's L-shaped with a rounded corner, like the door, about 3/4"
wide and 4" horizontal from the corner, 4" vertical from the corner,

It also goes into the space between the door and the "frame" about
3/4", and it's on both door frames.
The material is no more than an eighth of an inch thick.

Is it there to protect the door frame? from my long keyring My
pocke****ch. From people climbing into the back seat? I don't think
any of these things woudl hit it.

It's gotten dirty and I'd like to take it off, but if I do, this will be
the last time I remember to ask about it

It is an abrasive guard to keep samd and road dirt from blasting the
paint off the edge of the dogleg - and it is VERY effective. It's
there for a (good) reason - do NOT attempt to take it off. You won't
likely manage without damaging the paint if you do try.