Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vinyl Flooring for Tub Surround?

Is there a big reason why vinyl flooring isn't used more
often for tub/shower surrounds?

--
croy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/28/2017 7:42 PM, croy wrote:
Is there a big reason why vinyl flooring isn't used more
often for tub/shower surrounds?

Aside from ugly, there are better materials often seamless. Ceramic
tiles are great, but more expensive than some of the plastic or
fiberglass surrounds available. I used tiles, but there is something for
most every budget.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 20:06:11 -0500, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 1/28/2017 7:42 PM, croy wrote:
Is there a big reason why vinyl flooring isn't used more
often for tub/shower surrounds?

Aside from ugly, there are better materials often seamless. Ceramic
tiles are great, but more expensive than some of the plastic or
fiberglass surrounds available. I used tiles, but there is something for
most every budget.

Actually, there are some pretty nice patterns in vinyl
flooring--at least they look nice on-screen.

But what I'm noticing, the price really isn't much different
from ceramic tile.

It does seem to me like the vinyl might have a little better
sound absorbtion than ceramic tile (less reflected sound),
while tile might have better attenuation of transmitted
sound.

--
croy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/28/2017 7:42 PM, croy wrote:
Is there a big reason why vinyl flooring isn't used more
often for tub/shower surrounds?

Aside from ugly, there are better materials often seamless. Ceramic
tiles are great, but more expensive than some of the plastic or
fiberglass surrounds available. I used tiles, but there is something for
most every budget.

Actually, there are some pretty nice patterns in vinyl
flooring--at least they look nice on-screen.

But what I'm noticing, the price really isn't much different
from ceramic tile.

It does seem to me like the vinyl might have a little better
sound absorbtion than ceramic tile (less reflected sound),
while tile might have better attenuation of transmitted
sound.

--
croy

Ceramic tile will last longer and is easer to maintain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/28/2017 7:42 PM, croy wrote:
Is there a big reason why vinyl flooring isn't used more
often for tub/shower surrounds?

Aside from ugly, there are better materials often seamless. Ceramic
tiles are great, but more expensive than some of the plastic or
fiberglass surrounds available. I used tiles, but there is something for
most every budget.

Actually, there are some pretty nice patterns in vinyl
flooring--at least they look nice on-screen.

But what I'm noticing, the price really isn't much different
from ceramic tile.

It does seem to me like the vinyl might have a little better
sound absorbtion than ceramic tile (less reflected sound),
while tile might have better attenuation of transmitted
sound.

Ceramic tile will last longer and is easer to maintain.

I think the main argument supporting "other than tile" for a surround is
the amount of time saved during installation. Tiling takes awhile, and
you must perform specific preparation of the underlying surface to do a
good job.

Using a one-piece surround such as plastic laminate (Wilsonart, Formica,
et al) requires you to glue it and stick it on the wall, without the
myriad of prep steps that you have to do with tile.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2017 12:32 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

Ceramic tile will last longer and is easer to maintain.

I think the main argument supporting "other than tile" for a surround is
the amount of time saved during installation. Tiling takes awhile, and
you must perform specific preparation of the underlying surface to do a
good job.

Using a one-piece surround such as plastic laminate (Wilsonart, Formica,
et al) requires you to glue it and stick it on the wall, without the
myriad of prep steps that you have to do with tile.

Jon

The plastic surrounds are a good value, easy to install, durable,
leakproof. But none of that matters to me.

I'd use them if I was fixing up a rental property but the best of them
are rather blah in appearance compared to ceramic tile. My house when
built had fiberglass shower and tub surrounds and I was happy to get rid
of them in favor of a nice tile.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 7:41:59 PM UTC-5, croy wrote:
Is there a big reason why vinyl flooring isn't used more
often for tub/shower surrounds?

--
croy

Is it even used at all? I've never seen it. One problem would be how do
you deal with corners? Edges? I guess you could use some kind of plastic
molding in the corners, with some kind of glue to hold it on. But I've never
seen it done. And having something odd, if resale is any consideration,
usually isn't a good idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 10:47:42 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 7:41:59 PM UTC-5, croy wrote:
Is there a big reason why vinyl flooring isn't used more
often for tub/shower surrounds?

--
croy

Is it even used at all? I've never seen it.

Neither have I. There must be good reasons why we haven't
seen it--I'm just wondering what those reasons are.

One problem would be how do you deal with corners?

Inside corners would be caulked, I suppose, just like tile.

Edges? I guess you could use some kind of plastic
molding in the corners, with some kind of glue to hold it on. But I've never
seen it done.

I think there are edgings available, just like for floors.

And having something odd, if resale is any consideration,
usually isn't a good idea.

I wouldn't argue that point for one second!

--
croy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 7:41:59 PM UTC-5, croy wrote:
Is there a big reason why vinyl flooring isn't used more
often for tub/shower surrounds?

--
croy

Is it even used at all? I've never seen it.

Neither have I. There must be good reasons why we haven't
seen it--I'm just wondering what those reasons are.

One problem would be how do you deal with corners?

Inside corners would be caulked, I suppose, just like tile.

Edges? I guess you could use some kind of plastic
molding in the corners, with some kind of glue to hold it on. But I've never
seen it done.

I think there are edgings available, just like for floors.

And having something odd, if resale is any consideration,
usually isn't a good idea.

I wouldn't argue that point for one second!

I've seen solid vinyl flooring used for surrounds. Ages ago I even
say genuine linoleum.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/30/2017 10:52 PM, croy wrote:

Ceramic tile will last longer and is easer to maintain.

Last longer, for sure. I'm not so convinced of easier to
maintain.

Both my showers have a squeegee in them. Takes about 20 seconds to get
rid of the excess water. No chemicals needed. We have epoxy grout.

Vinyl flooring Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot UK diy 1 February 3rd 09 03:52 PM
Vinyl Flooring pakdog[_2_] Home Repair 4 August 6th 08 11:28 PM
Vinyl Flooring [email protected] Home Repair 0 July 10th 06 01:24 PM
Gap in vinyl flooring smithfarms pure kona Home Repair 4 May 22nd 05 05:08 AM
Vinyl Flooring Over Old Vinyl Backer Terry Smith Home Repair 1 September 10th 04 03:31 AM