Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Danniken[_7_] Jon Danniken[_7_] is offline

Default Vinyl Flooring for Tub Surround?

On 01/29/2017 08:03 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 8:01:36 PM UTC-8, croy wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 20:06:11 -0500, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 1/28/2017 7:42 PM, croy wrote:
Is there a big reason why vinyl flooring isn't used more
often for tub/shower surrounds?

Aside from ugly, there are better materials often seamless. Ceramic
tiles are great, but more expensive than some of the plastic or
fiberglass surrounds available. I used tiles, but there is something for
most every budget.

Actually, there are some pretty nice patterns in vinyl
flooring--at least they look nice on-screen.

But what I'm noticing, the price really isn't much different
from ceramic tile.

It does seem to me like the vinyl might have a little better
sound absorbtion than ceramic tile (less reflected sound),
while tile might have better attenuation of transmitted
sound.

Ceramic tile will last longer and is easer to maintain.

I think the main argument supporting "other than tile" for a surround is
the amount of time saved during installation. Tiling takes awhile, and
you must perform specific preparation of the underlying surface to do a
good job.

Using a one-piece surround such as plastic laminate (Wilsonart, Formica,
et al) requires you to glue it and stick it on the wall, without the
myriad of prep steps that you have to do with tile.

Jon