Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Decking Material

I have a small deck (10 by 12) that is going to be up for 2-5 years.
I've priced composite decking, and even 2 by 6, but they are "costly",
and the 2 by 6 is poor quality.

I was wondering about 4 by 8 panels, 5/8 or 3/4 inch (joists are 16" oc)
as a "temporary" surface. Maybe chipboard or outside plywood. What could
I do to it to have it last that long?

I thought about priming and then a rubberized coating, especially on the
edges, leaving the bottom bare. Then thought about treating the bottom
side as well, but couldn't come to a conclusion. Also thought about
raising the plywood off the joists by using angle iron so there was no
wood/wood contact.

What does the collective intellect think?

--
charles
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 1:54:39 PM UTC-8, Charles Bishop wrote:
I have a small deck (10 by 12) that is going to be up for 2-5 years.
I've priced composite decking, and even 2 by 6, but they are "costly",
and the 2 by 6 is poor quality.

I was wondering about 4 by 8 panels, 5/8 or 3/4 inch (joists are 16" oc)
as a "temporary" surface. Maybe chipboard or outside plywood. What could
I do to it to have it last that long?

I thought about priming and then a rubberized coating, especially on the
edges, leaving the bottom bare. Then thought about treating the bottom
side as well, but couldn't come to a conclusion. Also thought about
raising the plywood off the joists by using angle iron so there was no
wood/wood contact.

What does the collective intellect think?

--
charles

If you are only going to need it for two years the plywood way would be best but if you have a lot of wet weather in your area be sure to coat all sides.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 13:54:35 -0800, Charles Bishop
wrote:

I have a small deck (10 by 12) that is going to be up for 2-5 years.
I've priced composite decking, and even 2 by 6, but they are "costly",
and the 2 by 6 is poor quality.
I was wondering about 4 by 8 panels, 5/8 or 3/4 inch (joists are 16" oc)
as a "temporary" surface. Maybe chipboard or outside plywood. What could
I do to it to have it last that long?
I thought about priming and then a rubberized coating, especially on the
edges, leaving the bottom bare. Then thought about treating the bottom
side as well, but couldn't come to a conclusion. Also thought about
raising the plywood off the joists by using angle iron so there was no
wood/wood contact.
What does the collective intellect think?

http://northernhomestead.com/buildin...y-pallet-deck/

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a small deck (10 by 12) that is going to be up for 2-5 years.
I've priced composite decking, and even 2 by 6, but they are "costly",
and the 2 by 6 is poor quality.
I was wondering about 4 by 8 panels, 5/8 or 3/4 inch (joists are 16" oc)
as a "temporary" surface. Maybe chipboard or outside plywood. What could
I do to it to have it last that long?
I thought about priming and then a rubberized coating, especially on the
edges, leaving the bottom bare. Then thought about treating the bottom
side as well, but couldn't come to a conclusion. Also thought about
raising the plywood off the joists by using angle iron so there was no
wood/wood contact.
What does the collective intellect think?

http://northernhomestead.com/buildin...y-pallet-deck/

Great idea and a huge cost savings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/2017 4:54 PM, Charles Bishop wrote:
I have a small deck (10 by 12) that is going to be up for 2-5 years.
I've priced composite decking, and even 2 by 6, but they are "costly",
and the 2 by 6 is poor quality.

I was wondering about 4 by 8 panels, 5/8 or 3/4 inch (joists are 16" oc)
as a "temporary" surface. Maybe chipboard or outside plywood. What could
I do to it to have it last that long?

Pressure treated plywood should get you five years. What happens after
five years? Tearing it down? Replacing? There are woods that will
last 50 years.

If you are planning to move in that time a cheap deck will bring down
the ptice. If you are planning to rebuild bigger and better, cheap may
be good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/17 3:54 PM, Charles Bishop wrote:
I have a small deck (10 by 12) that is going to be up for 2-5 years.
I've priced composite decking, and even 2 by 6, but they are "costly",
and the 2 by 6 is poor quality.

I was wondering about 4 by 8 panels, 5/8 or 3/4 inch (joists are 16" oc)
as a "temporary" surface. Maybe chipboard or outside plywood. What could
I do to it to have it last that long?

I thought about priming and then a rubberized coating, especially on the
edges, leaving the bottom bare. Then thought about treating the bottom
side as well, but couldn't come to a conclusion. Also thought about
raising the plywood off the joists by using angle iron so there was no
wood/wood contact.

What does the collective intellect think?

Grain bin drying or aeration floor? It's galvanized metal with
slots. It isn't smooth so it would have an advantage during snow or
ice storms. You'd probably be the only one on your block with a deck
like it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Dean Hoffman wrote:

[...]

It would probably work, but I'm looking for cheap and quick. Maybe take
a run by a scrap yard and see what they have.

--
charles
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 1/17/2017 4:54 PM, Charles Bishop wrote:
I have a small deck (10 by 12) that is going to be up for 2-5 years.
I've priced composite decking, and even 2 by 6, but they are "costly",
and the 2 by 6 is poor quality.

I was wondering about 4 by 8 panels, 5/8 or 3/4 inch (joists are 16" oc)
as a "temporary" surface. Maybe chipboard or outside plywood. What could
I do to it to have it last that long?

Pressure treated plywood should get you five years. What happens after
five years? Tearing it down? Replacing? There are woods that will
last 50 years.

If you are planning to move in that time a cheap deck will bring down
the ptice. If you are planning to rebuild bigger and better, cheap may
be good.

No long term plans but want something for now that I can take apart and
replace if necessary. Also kind of a test to see what happens.

Would sealing the top and sides protect large sheets, that kind of
thing. I'm guessing not or others would already be doing it.

--
charles