Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Decking Material

Hello,

Thinking of redoing my Deck with possibly TREX, or just pressure treated
wood.

a. Are there different quality levels (and/or Brands) for the
usual pressure treated wood you see e.g., at HD ?

b. What type of pressure treated wood would I want to specify:
Pine, or...? Live in New England.

c. Any thoughts on TREX ?
Others to consider ?

d. How much more, approx., to go with TREX, or its competitors, vs the
pressure treated wood approach ?

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Bob
wrote:

Hello,

Thinking of redoing my Deck with possibly TREX, or just pressure treated
wood.

a. Are there different quality levels (and/or Brands) for the
usual pressure treated wood you see e.g., at HD ?

b. What type of pressure treated wood would I want to specify:
Pine, or...? Live in New England.

c. Any thoughts on TREX ?
Others to consider ?

d. How much more, approx., to go with TREX, or its competitors, vs the
pressure treated wood approach ?

Thanks,
Bob

Ipe is getting trendy. I have one friend who installed it and is happy
so far, but he's only had it about a year.

I'm not quite ready to go with a plastic deck, although I have a BIL who
just put TREX on a pretty large elevated deck this summer, and it
doesn't look too bad. It looks a bit less fake than the older stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-10-01, Bob wrote:

c. Any thoughts on TREX ?

Near as I can tell, it's a composite wood product. That's enough for
me to avoid it like the plague:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5544772_pr...x-decking.html

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-10-01, Bob wrote:

c. Any thoughts on TREX ?

Near as I can tell, it's a composite wood product. That's enough for
me to avoid it like the plague:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5544772_pr...x-decking.html

Don't know about Trex but I've got TimberTech.
10 years old now and unchanged from the day of install.
All I do is pressure wash with water once a year.

Yeah, the article says don't pressure wash.
Must be a Trex issue.

Love it.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
Hello,

Thinking of redoing my Deck with possibly TREX, or just pressure
treated wood.

a. Are there different quality levels (and/or Brands) for the
usual pressure treated wood you see e.g., at HD ?

There are numerous companies that treat wood. The species they treat
depends on what is available AFAIK. In the south, it is southern yellow
pine.

Regardless of what species, #2 common is what's available off the shelf at
home improvement stores. Whether they will order #1 common I know not.
Probably be a minimum order of quite a bit. I suppose one could get clear
if one were persistent, would be expensive.

The other variation is how much chemical has been placed in the wood. It
*does* vary depending upon use (burial, contact, etc). What is on the shelf
will be what has the least. Worst and least is what you get at HD/Lowes/et
al.

b. What type of pressure treated wood would I want to specify:
Pine, or...? Live in New England.

If you buy enough, you can specify whatever you want. Generally, you take
what is offered. Someone mentioned ipe; if you want a long lasting
solution, that's it.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-10-01, Bob wrote:

c. *Any thoughts on TREX ?

Near as I can tell, it's a composite wood product. *That's enough for
me to avoid it like the plague:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5544772_pr...x-decking.html

If there's anything to avoid like the plague, it would be ehow.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/1/2012 12:56 PM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Thinking of redoing my Deck with possibly TREX, or just pressure treated
wood.

a. Are there different quality levels (and/or Brands) for the
usual pressure treated wood you see e.g., at HD ?

b. What type of pressure treated wood would I want to specify:
Pine, or...? Live in New England.

c. Any thoughts on TREX ?
Others to consider ?

d. How much more, approx., to go with TREX, or its competitors, vs the
pressure treated wood approach ?

Thanks,
Bob

We had Trex on a finger-dock in Florida, about 10 years when I left it.
Full sun all day, good as the day it was put down. If you figure the
cost of Trex vs wood, be sure to add cost of painting the crap (wood)
every few years )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 2:09*pm, Norminn wrote:
On 10/1/2012 12:56 PM, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Thinking of redoing my Deck with possibly TREX, or just pressure treated
wood.

a. *Are there different quality levels (and/or Brands) for the
usual pressure treated wood you see e.g., at HD ?

b. What type of pressure treated wood would I want to specify:
Pine, or...? *Live in New England.

c. *Any thoughts on TREX ?
* * *Others to consider ?

d. *How much more, approx., to go with TREX, or its competitors, vs the
pressure treated wood approach ?

Thanks,
Bob

We had Trex on a finger-dock in Florida, about 10 years when I left it.
* Full sun all day, good as the day it was put down. *If you figure the
cost of Trex vs wood, be sure to add cost of painting the crap (wood)
every few years )- Hide quoted text -

I have had Trex for 5 years and very happy with it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Silly rabbit. Trex are for Keds.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

c. Any thoughts on TREX ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 12:56:48 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Thinking of redoing my Deck with possibly TREX, or just pressure treated
wood.

a. Are there different quality levels (and/or Brands) for the
usual pressure treated wood you see e.g., at HD ?

Definitely a WIDE variance in quality of both the wood and the
treatment.

b. What type of pressure treated wood would I want to specify:
Pine, or...? Live in New England.

Southern Yellow Pine is pretty decent. Non treated Cedar is better -
again if you can get good stuff

c. Any thoughts on TREX ?
Others to consider ?

I used TREX on my front poarch, SYP on my reas deck, and Western Red
Cedar on the deck I just did for an old friend.

d. How much more, approx., to go with TREX, or its competitors, vs the
pressure treated wood approach ?

Just over double the cost of PT, half again the price of Cedar - and
that was for the Trex Transcend. I wouldn't use the standard Trex,
myself - mostly due to mold and moss issues at my location. The
Transcend is great stuff!. I was lucky enough to get mostly pretty
decent cedar for the latest deck job - and I'd say cedar is the nicer
of the three to work with - I had natural cedar on my front porch for
twenty-some years - the Trex should outlast it and is definitely lower
maintenance. The last deck replacement the old cedar was 42 years old
and had been stained quite a few times.

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-10-01, Bob wrote:

c. Any thoughts on TREX ?

Near as I can tell, it's a composite wood product. That's enough for
me to avoid it like the plague:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5544772_pr...x-decking.html

nb

The Transcend is MUCH better than the old plain TREX - both are made
of wood sawdust and recycled poly bags - but the Transcend has a
plastic finish.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-10-01, Bob wrote:

c. Any thoughts on TREX ?

Near as I can tell, it's a composite wood product. That's enough for
me to avoid it like the plague:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5544772_pr...x-decking.html

nb

I made the mistake of making spacers with it. I thought it was continuous
in mixture. The spacers are breaking in two.

I got polystyrene decking. It will stain with oils, including suntan
lotion, but those marks seem to gradually go away. It also makes static
electricity, but overall I'm happy after 6 years.

Greg