Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Decking Material

On 1/17/2017 4:54 PM, Charles Bishop wrote:
I have a small deck (10 by 12) that is going to be up for 2-5 years.
I've priced composite decking, and even 2 by 6, but they are "costly",
and the 2 by 6 is poor quality.

I was wondering about 4 by 8 panels, 5/8 or 3/4 inch (joists are 16" oc)
as a "temporary" surface. Maybe chipboard or outside plywood. What could
I do to it to have it last that long?

Pressure treated plywood should get you five years. What happens after
five years? Tearing it down? Replacing? There are woods that will
last 50 years.

If you are planning to move in that time a cheap deck will bring down
the ptice. If you are planning to rebuild bigger and better, cheap may
be good.