DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Decking Material (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/584575-decking-material.html)

Charles Bishop[_2_] January 17th 17 09:54 PM

Decking Material

I have a small deck (10 by 12) that is going to be up for 2-5 years.
I've priced composite decking, and even 2 by 6, but they are "costly",
and the 2 by 6 is poor quality.

I was wondering about 4 by 8 panels, 5/8 or 3/4 inch (joists are 16" oc)
as a "temporary" surface. Maybe chipboard or outside plywood. What could
I do to it to have it last that long?

I thought about priming and then a rubberized coating, especially on the
edges, leaving the bottom bare. Then thought about treating the bottom
side as well, but couldn't come to a conclusion. Also thought about
raising the plywood off the joists by using angle iron so there was no
wood/wood contact.

What does the collective intellect think?

--
charles

[email protected] January 17th 17 10:02 PM

Decking Material

On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 1:54:39 PM UTC-8, Charles Bishop wrote:
I have a small deck (10 by 12) that is going to be up for 2-5 years.
I've priced composite decking, and even 2 by 6, but they are "costly",
and the 2 by 6 is poor quality.

I was wondering about 4 by 8 panels, 5/8 or 3/4 inch (joists are 16" oc)
as a "temporary" surface. Maybe chipboard or outside plywood. What could
I do to it to have it last that long?

I thought about priming and then a rubberized coating, especially on the
edges, leaving the bottom bare. Then thought about treating the bottom
side as well, but couldn't come to a conclusion. Also thought about
raising the plywood off the joists by using angle iron so there was no
wood/wood contact.

What does the collective intellect think?

--
charles

If you are only going to need it for two years the plywood way would be best but if you have a lot of wet weather in your area be sure to coat all sides.

[email protected] January 17th 17 10:35 PM

Decking Material

http://northernhomestead.com/buildin...y-pallet-deck/

[email protected] January 17th 17 10:42 PM

Decking Material

wrote:

I have a small deck (10 by 12) that is going to be up for 2-5 years.
I've priced composite decking, and even 2 by 6, but they are "costly",
and the 2 by 6 is poor quality.
I was wondering about 4 by 8 panels, 5/8 or 3/4 inch (joists are 16" oc)
as a "temporary" surface. Maybe chipboard or outside plywood. What could
I do to it to have it last that long?
I thought about priming and then a rubberized coating, especially on the
edges, leaving the bottom bare. Then thought about treating the bottom
side as well, but couldn't come to a conclusion. Also thought about
raising the plywood off the joists by using angle iron so there was no
wood/wood contact.
What does the collective intellect think?

http://northernhomestead.com/buildin...y-pallet-deck/

Great idea and a huge cost savings.

Ed Pawlowski January 17th 17 11:50 PM

Decking Material

On 1/17/2017 4:54 PM, Charles Bishop wrote:
I have a small deck (10 by 12) that is going to be up for 2-5 years.
I've priced composite decking, and even 2 by 6, but they are "costly",
and the 2 by 6 is poor quality.

I was wondering about 4 by 8 panels, 5/8 or 3/4 inch (joists are 16" oc)
as a "temporary" surface. Maybe chipboard or outside plywood. What could
I do to it to have it last that long?

Pressure treated plywood should get you five years. What happens after
five years? Tearing it down? Replacing? There are woods that will
last 50 years.

If you are planning to move in that time a cheap deck will bring down
the ptice. If you are planning to rebuild bigger and better, cheap may
be good.

Dean Hoffman[_12_] January 18th 17 12:10 AM

Decking Material

On 1/17/17 3:54 PM, Charles Bishop wrote:
I have a small deck (10 by 12) that is going to be up for 2-5 years.
I've priced composite decking, and even 2 by 6, but they are "costly",
and the 2 by 6 is poor quality.

I was wondering about 4 by 8 panels, 5/8 or 3/4 inch (joists are 16" oc)
as a "temporary" surface. Maybe chipboard or outside plywood. What could
I do to it to have it last that long?

I thought about priming and then a rubberized coating, especially on the
edges, leaving the bottom bare. Then thought about treating the bottom
side as well, but couldn't come to a conclusion. Also thought about
raising the plywood off the joists by using angle iron so there was no
wood/wood contact.

What does the collective intellect think?

Grain bin drying or aeration floor? It's galvanized metal with
slots. It isn't smooth so it would have an advantage during snow or
ice storms. You'd probably be the only one on your block with a deck
like it.

Charles Bishop[_2_] January 20th 17 06:12 PM

Decking Material

In article ,
Dean Hoffman wrote:

[...]

It would probably work, but I'm looking for cheap and quick. Maybe take
a run by a scrap yard and see what they have.

--
charles

Charles Bishop[_2_] January 20th 17 06:13 PM

Decking Material

In article , Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 1/17/2017 4:54 PM, Charles Bishop wrote:
I have a small deck (10 by 12) that is going to be up for 2-5 years.
I've priced composite decking, and even 2 by 6, but they are "costly",
and the 2 by 6 is poor quality.

I was wondering about 4 by 8 panels, 5/8 or 3/4 inch (joists are 16" oc)
as a "temporary" surface. Maybe chipboard or outside plywood. What could
I do to it to have it last that long?

Pressure treated plywood should get you five years. What happens after
five years? Tearing it down? Replacing? There are woods that will
last 50 years.

If you are planning to move in that time a cheap deck will bring down
the ptice. If you are planning to rebuild bigger and better, cheap may
be good.

No long term plans but want something for now that I can take apart and
replace if necessary. Also kind of a test to see what happens.

Would sealing the top and sides protect large sheets, that kind of
thing. I'm guessing not or others would already be doing it.

--
charles

Charles Bishop[_2_] January 20th 17 06:17 PM

Decking Material

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Wet weather wasn't a problem until this year and CA is trying to catch
up. Raining today, but I'm inside and warm.

Have to go out later - will watch out for people who can't drive in the
rain.

Chrles

Charles Bishop[_2_] January 20th 17 06:17 PM

Decking Material

wrote:

I have a small deck (10 by 12) that is going to be up for 2-5 years.
I've priced composite decking, and even 2 by 6, but they are "costly",
and the 2 by 6 is poor quality.
I was wondering about 4 by 8 panels, 5/8 or 3/4 inch (joists are 16" oc)
as a "temporary" surface. Maybe chipboard or outside plywood. What could
I do to it to have it last that long?
I thought about priming and then a rubberized coating, especially on the
edges, leaving the bottom bare. Then thought about treating the bottom
side as well, but couldn't come to a conclusion. Also thought about
raising the plywood off the joists by using angle iron so there was no
wood/wood contact.
What does the collective intellect think?

http://northernhomestead.com/buildin...y-pallet-deck/

Thanks, but something a little more stable was what I had in mind.

Tekkie® January 20th 17 07:54 PM

Decking Material

posted for all of us...

wrote:

I have a small deck (10 by 12) that is going to be up for 2-5 years.
I've priced composite decking, and even 2 by 6, but they are "costly",
and the 2 by 6 is poor quality.
I was wondering about 4 by 8 panels, 5/8 or 3/4 inch (joists are 16" oc)
as a "temporary" surface. Maybe chipboard or outside plywood. What could
I do to it to have it last that long?
I thought about priming and then a rubberized coating, especially on the
edges, leaving the bottom bare. Then thought about treating the bottom
side as well, but couldn't come to a conclusion. Also thought about
raising the plywood off the joists by using angle iron so there was no
wood/wood contact.
What does the collective intellect think?

http://northernhomestead.com/buildin...y-pallet-deck/

I was the laborer for ane of my uncles

--
Tekkie

Tekkie® January 20th 17 08:01 PM

Decking Material

posted for all of us...

wrote:

I have a small deck (10 by 12) that is going to be up for 2-5 years.
I've priced composite decking, and even 2 by 6, but they are "costly",
and the 2 by 6 is poor quality.
I was wondering about 4 by 8 panels, 5/8 or 3/4 inch (joists are 16" oc)
as a "temporary" surface. Maybe chipboard or outside plywood. What could
I do to it to have it last that long?
I thought about priming and then a rubberized coating, especially on the
edges, leaving the bottom bare. Then thought about treating the bottom
side as well, but couldn't come to a conclusion. Also thought about
raising the plywood off the joists by using angle iron so there was no
wood/wood contact.
What does the collective intellect think?

http://northernhomestead.com/buildin...y-pallet-deck/

I was the consigned laborer for my uncle one summer and we built a garage
out of pallets. He owned a warehousing co and could get all he wanted. Back
then they weren't build from crap wood or pulp. Learned about construction-
so much he wanted me back next summer... for a house renovation.

--
Tekkie