Rowland

Default Where to get thermostat for Craftmaster electric water heater?

It's ten years old, it just stopped heating the water, and I'd like to
try to repair it myself before paying a repairman. But where to get the
part in a reasonable time frame? Home Depot says they don't carry it.

It's a Craftmaster model E1E4ORDO45. If I have to buy a whole new one,
I'd want a plug-in replacement. I don't want to fiddle with welded
copper pipes.

--
Spammers' real email addresses:

Southeastern NH residents:
Don't throw out that broken computer yet! Call 603-244-1652
Check out my Java, SQL and Python samples at
http://rowland.blcss.com/

For sale: Unique and energy efficient hobbit home in New Hampshi
http://www.angelfire.com/ego/rowland/mm.index.html
Travis Jordan

Rowland wrote:
It's ten years old, it just stopped heating the water, and I'd like to
try to repair it myself before paying a repairman. But where to get
the part in a reasonable time frame? Home Depot says they don't
carry it.

It's a Craftmaster model E1E4ORDO45. If I have to buy a whole new
one, I'd want a plug-in replacement. I don't want to fiddle with
welded copper pipes.

I think you mean soldered copper pipes?
http://www.cornerhardware.com/item_2...ement-Kit.html

John McGaw

"Rowland" wrote in message
It's ten years old, it just stopped heating the water, and I'd like to
try to repair it myself before paying a repairman. But where to get the
part in a reasonable time frame? Home Depot says they don't carry it.

It's a Craftmaster model E1E4ORDO45. If I have to buy a whole new one,
I'd want a plug-in replacement. I don't want to fiddle with welded
copper pipes.

Repeat the mantra Google is my friend...Google is my friend...Google is my
friend...

This page:
http://www.waterheaterparts.net/cgi-...&search=action
is on the parts website for the company that made your heater, American
Water Heater Company. There is a good chance that, since they sell parts
online and these are the only types of thermostats they show, one of them is
what you need. If not, go to http://www.americanwaterheater.com and ask for
a replacement.

Oh yeah, water heater thermostats are not "plug in" and require that you
know how to disconnect/reconnect some wires and replace a screw-in plumbing
part in a matter that will prevent a leak. But the company referenced above
offers full instructions.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Travis Jordan

John McGaw wrote:
"Rowland" wrote in message
[...]

I wonder if the OP knows what the cause of the failure is? I assumed
that s/he was talking about the element, not the thermostat. I suppose
it could be either but the element is the most likely cause. A simple
check with a voltmeter / ohmeter will tell. In any case, most
thermostats are external and don't require screwing in to any part of
the water heater that could cause a leak. Did you mean to say element?

Joseph Meehan

Rowland wrote:
It's ten years old, it just stopped heating the water, and I'd like to
try to repair it myself before paying a repairman. But where to get
the part in a reasonable time frame? Home Depot says they don't
carry it.

It's a Craftmaster model E1E4ORDO45. If I have to buy a whole new
one, I'd want a plug-in replacement. I don't want to fiddle with
welded copper pipes.

Just for fun how about this idea:

Fact #1 "it just stopped heating the water"
Fact #2 "Where to get thermostat"
Fact #3 ... missing

What is missing is the connection between the water heater not heating
the water and the need for a new thermostat. While a thermostat may be a
cause of the water heater failing, there are lots of others, including
circuit breaker off, heating coils out etc.

If you have not already done it, you need to first determine if it is
the thermostat or you are just wasting your time and money. I would not
list a faulty thermostat as the most common problem.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Steve the Sauropodman

Rowland wrote in message ...
It's ten years old, it just stopped heating the water, and I'd like to
try to repair it myself before paying a repairman. But where to get the
part in a reasonable time frame? Home Depot says they don't carry it.

It's a Craftmaster model E1E4ORDO45. If I have to buy a whole new one,
I'd want a plug-in replacement. I don't want to fiddle with welded
copper pipes.

--
Spammers' real email addresses:

Southeastern NH residents:
Don't throw out that broken computer yet! Call 603-244-1652
Check out my Java, SQL and Python samples at
http://rowland.blcss.com/

For sale: Unique and energy efficient hobbit home in New Hampshi
http://www.angelfire.com/ego/rowland/mm.index.html

10 years seems to be pretty close to operatioal life of an average HW
heater.

I'd check a plumbing supply company - not HD?lowes, etc. - they should
have a HW rebuid kit which includes upper and lower thermostats and
heating elements. Just make sure you have the correct wattage for the
elements (you shuld be able to fine the info on the info tag on the
tank itself). Spend the extra five bucks for the element
wrench...it'll save you a substantial amount of aggrevation and
cursing at the HW heater...

As for welding the copper pipe it is fairly easy. Sometines you can
find beginners classes at a local home center. If not, a good DYI
book on basic plumbing should have all that you need. Practice
sweating joints with about $10-$15 of copper pipes and fittings.
Afterwards, you should be pretty proficient doing your own soldering.
Another possibility is using compresasion fittings. They are a bit
more expensive than soldered fittings, but no soldering is involved.
You need is a wrench or two, some joint compound, and a pipe cutter to
cut out the original soldered fittings.

Cheers

Steve
John McGaw

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
om...
John McGaw wrote:
"Rowland" wrote in message
[...]

No. I took the OP at his word that he wanted a thermostat and gave him a
likely source for that part. I agree that an element or elements failing is
FAR more common. And many people might not notice a problem until both
elements open up. As for the thermostat possibly causing leaking if
installed incorrectly, I certainly might be wrong about that -- my
recollection, never reliable, was that there was a stubby probe out the back
of a water heater thermostat which sensed the temperature inside the tank.
Of course if that wasn't so then the installation would be almost
ridiculously simple. Probably simpler than an element.

In any case I've given the OP a site where he can buy all the little fiddly
bits for his water heater that he cares to and that should keep him
entertained ;-)
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Rowland

Well, I guess I know where not to go for helpful advice.

Don't feel too bad, folks. The guy at Home Depot didn't know they were
"universal" either.

It's my .sig and I'll put what I want in it. If that offends somebody,
I'll worry about that when I run across someone here who knows enough
about water heaters to be worth not offending.