Travis Jordan

Default Where to get thermostat for Craftmaster electric water heater?

John McGaw wrote:
"Rowland" wrote in message
It's ten years old, it just stopped heating the water, and I'd like
to try to repair it myself before paying a repairman. But where to
get the part in a reasonable time frame? Home Depot says they don't
carry it.

It's a Craftmaster model E1E4ORDO45. If I have to buy a whole new
one, I'd want a plug-in replacement. I don't want to fiddle with
welded copper pipes.

Repeat the mantra Google is my friend...Google is my friend...Google
is my friend...

This page:

http://www.waterheaterparts.net/cgi-...&search=action
is on the parts website for the company that made your heater,
American Water Heater Company. There is a good chance that, since
they sell parts online and these are the only types of thermostats
they show, one of them is what you need. If not, go to
http://www.americanwaterheater.com and ask for a replacement.

Oh yeah, water heater thermostats are not "plug in" and require that
you know how to disconnect/reconnect some wires and replace a
screw-in plumbing part in a matter that will prevent a leak. But the
company referenced above offers full instructions.

John -
I wonder if the OP knows what the cause of the failure is? I assumed
that s/he was talking about the element, not the thermostat. I suppose
it could be either but the element is the most likely cause. A simple
check with a voltmeter / ohmeter will tell. In any case, most
thermostats are external and don't require screwing in to any part of
the water heater that could cause a leak. Did you mean to say element?