Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

Default Ceramic knives

Are the harbor freight ceramic knives any good?

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-...ife-98186.html

What is the good and bad?
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On 12/27/2016 12:27 PM, Hazuki Nakamura wrote:
Are the harbor freight ceramic knives any good?

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-...ife-98186.html

What is the good and bad?

Pros
10Stays Sharp
6Easy To Clean
5Comfortable Grip
4Quality Construction
2Very Sharp

Cons
2Not Dishwasher Safe
1Blade Cinters With Misuse
1Can Not Be Sharpened
1Cheap Plastic Handle
1Dulls Quickly
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 2:32:46 PM UTC-6, Taxed and Spent wrote:

Pros
10Stays Sharp
6Easy To Clean
5Comfortable Grip
4Quality Construction
2Very Sharp

Cons
2Not Dishwasher Safe
1Blade Cinters With Misuse
1Can Not Be Sharpened
1Cheap Plastic Handle
1Dulls Quickly

To add to what T and S wrote: Drop that knife on
the floor and you have a nice paper weight when
it breaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 15:56:09 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 2:32:46 PM UTC-6, Taxed and Spent wrote:

Pros
10Stays Sharp
6Easy To Clean
5Comfortable Grip
4Quality Construction
2Very Sharp

Cons
2Not Dishwasher Safe
1Blade Cinters With Misuse
1Can Not Be Sharpened
1Cheap Plastic Handle
1Dulls Quickly

To add to what T and S wrote: Drop that knife on
the floor and you have a nice paper weight when
it breaks.

That link looked like a paring knife to me. Anybody ever seen a 6
inch "Chef's Knife"?
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On 12/27/2016 3:27 PM, Hazuki Nakamura wrote:
Are the harbor freight ceramic knives any good?

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-...ife-98186.html

What is the good and bad?

We have two of them. Very sharp. Seems to be holding up well. I was
not sure how good they would be at that price, but we were pleasantly
surprised. Give it a shot for the small monetary risk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Agree w give it a shot. Im into knives, flashlights and dustpans. Funny how they go together at times.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/27/2016 7:08 PM, Oren wrote:

That link looked like a paring knife to me. Anybody ever seen a 6
inch "Chef's Knife"?

The shape nearly resembles a chef's knife. It is larger than a paring
knife but certainly does not meet the chef standard, IMO
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren said:

That link looked like a paring knife to me. Anybody ever seen a 6
inch "Chef's Knife"?

Harbor Freight had the whole set on sale, so I just picked one arbitrarily.

The question is really about the whole concept of "ceramic knives" and not
any particular knife (although the HF ones would be what I'd buy if they're
any good).
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

Taxed and Spent said:

10Stays Sharp
1Dulls Quickly

Can you clarify how it "stays sharp" and "dulls quickly" at the same time?
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 04:08:12 -0000 (UTC), Hazuki Nakamura
wrote:

Taxed and Spent said:

10Stays Sharp
1Dulls Quickly

Can you clarify how it "stays sharp" and "dulls quickly" at the same time?

I can clarify... Taxed and Spent is a pointy headed imbecile.
/\
/ \
/ \
/ \
| ¤ ¤ |
| ¿ |
| «» |
|________| ---Taxed and Spent

Pointy-Headed Imbecile Award®

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

On 12/27/2016 8:08 PM, Hazuki Nakamura wrote:
Taxed and Spent said:

10Stays Sharp
1Dulls Quickly

Can you clarify how it "stays sharp" and "dulls quickly" at the same time?

These are from the reviews on the page you cited.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Taxed and Spent said:

10Stays Sharp
1Dulls Quickly

Can you clarify how it "stays sharp" and "dulls quickly" at the same time?

I can clarify... Taxed and Spent is a pointy headed imbecile.
/\
/ \
/ \
/ \
| ¤ ¤ |
| ¿ |
| «» |
|________| ---Taxed and Spent

Pointy-Headed Imbecile Award®

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

just have another, and call it a night.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Are they really ceramic?

We have several "ceramic" knives that are steel with a ceramic plating.

They work fine, the ceramic makes them easier to clean and rust free, but they aren't really any better than steel except you can't sharpen them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 8:55:06 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
Are they really ceramic?

We have several "ceramic" knives that are steel with a ceramic plating.

They work fine, the ceramic makes them easier to clean and rust free, but they aren't really any better than steel except you can't sharpen them.

Yes, there are ceramic knifes where the blade is all ceramic and yes,
you can sharpen them.

Kyocera is one of the better names for ceramic knifes.

https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/s....html?s=KCDS50