Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Snow Chains, Snow Socks, Silent Spikes, etc.

I don't live where chains are normally (or legally) required, but there
certainly have been times when a little more traction would have been nice.

I stumbled upon this video that shows some alternatives to chains.
(Warning: it's 20 minutes long)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chrLCKzAVVg

The Snow Socks look interesting; there's even a similar product made by
Michelin, which I guess gives the concept some credibility. There are also
individual "traction strips" that go through the wheel and wrap around
the tire perpendicular to the treads.

My concern with the sock type is that all the installation instructions seem
to indicate that you need to move vehicle forward just a bit to finish
the installation. Maybe just rolling the *wheel* itself, i.e. slipping it
a 1/4 turn on the ice, is enough, assuming you don't spin the sock right off
of the tire. Of course, everything works perfectly in the video.

Has anyone tried any of the "chain alternatives", especially to get
out of a stuck situation where the tires just spin and/or slide
sideways?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/27/16 2:56 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

1. Bucket or bag of sand
2. Full size chains, but just lay them out in front or back of tires
to get out of bad spot
3. Metal mesh strips, laid out like #2
4. Thru wheel strap types can be a problem with interference with
brake calipers, and/or no hole in wheel rim.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/27/2016 01:54 PM, Retired wrote:

1. Bucket or bag of sand

Cat litter... Often what they sell as 'traction sand' is slightly moist
and will be a 50 lb. sandsicle when you try to use it. Cat litter is
inexpensive, light, and dry.

Speedy Dry or one of the other oil absorbers works the same but almost
any grocery store will have Kitty Litter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 27 Dec 2016 11:56:49 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I don't live where chains are normally (or legally) required, but there
certainly have been times when a little more traction would have been nice.

I stumbled upon this video that shows some alternatives to chains.
(Warning: it's 20 minutes long)

Does anyone know a video player that would play in fast forward, like a
VCR? One that would play in reverse would be nice though that might
be technically more difficult, but one that at least has a 10, 20, 30
second rewind would be nice and not hard to do It's been 20 years, I
think, that the player in Youtube has been around and it's not been
improved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chrLCKzAVVg

The Snow Socks look interesting; there's even a similar product made by
Michelin, which I guess gives the concept some credibility. There are also

I don't know why it would have more traction than the tires?

individual "traction strips" that go through the wheel and wrap around
the tire perpendicular to the treads.

My concern with the sock type is that all the installation instructions seem
to indicate that you need to move vehicle forward just a bit to finish
the installation. Maybe just rolling the *wheel* itself, i.e. slipping it
a 1/4 turn on the ice, is enough,

Without the engine? I don't think you'll be able to turn the wheel.

The way to do this is to make a line note one yard from the car seat in
the snow, or if there's less snow, some landmark on the ground, and
another mark by the driver;s door. Open the driver's door and drive
until that first mark is where the second mark was. And you'll know
youve gone a yard (or use whatever is half the circumference.)

assuming you don't spin the sock right off
of the tire. Of course, everything works perfectly in the video.

Has anyone tried any of the "chain alternatives", especially to get
out of a stuck situation where the tires just spin and/or slide
sideways?

I had a couple of the "traction strip" style that I kept in the trunk
for about 20 years until they broke when I bent them. Never needed
them.

She uses 8 on one wheel but I would think one or two would be enough to
get you out of a rut.

All-plastic ones you could just drive until they wore out and fell off.

I note that he claims they're endorsed by a bunch of makers, but no
American companies, Feh.

My father in 1955 left behind a pair of things, looking like a metal rod
rectangle, bent up 4" from each end, so that they were the two most
popular tire widths. (Think about it.) They were meant to be put on
when one was stuck, just to get you out of the problem. I carried them
around for 10 years and never used them, until I think tire width
changed and they woudln't fit anymore. I have been stuck a couple
times in the snow but I got out by shoveling and/or rocking, and once in
the sand, when I had to be towed out by a nearby fisherman.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 27 Dec 2016 15:54:53 -0500, Retired
wrote:

Has anyone tried any of the "chain alternatives", especially to get
out of a stuck situation where the tires just spin and/or slide
sideways?

1. Bucket or bag of sand
2. Full size chains, but just lay them out in front or back of tires
to get out of bad spot
3. Metal mesh strips, laid out like #2

I've read that it's good to put a square of wood 1/2 or 1" thick under
the tires so that the chains move freely while attaching.

4. Thru wheel strap types can be a problem with interference with
brake calipers, and/or no hole in wheel rim.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I don't live where chains are normally (or legally) required, but there
certainly have been times when a little more traction would have been nice.

I stumbled upon this video that shows some alternatives to chains.
(Warning: it's 20 minutes long)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chrLCKzAVVg

I note that the second snow socks shows her putting it on even on the
bottom of the tire. She must have pushed it through that crack that
always exists between the snow and the tire.

The Snow Socks look interesting; there's even a similar product made by
Michelin, which I guess gives the concept some credibility. There are also
individual "traction strips" that go through the wheel and wrap around
the tire perpendicular to the treads.

My concern with the sock type is that all the installation instructions seem
to indicate that you need to move vehicle forward just a bit to finish
the installation. Maybe just rolling the *wheel* itself, i.e. slipping it
a 1/4 turn on the ice, is enough, assuming you don't spin the sock right off
of the tire. Of course, everything works perfectly in the video.

Has anyone tried any of the "chain alternatives", especially to get
out of a stuck situation where the tires just spin and/or slide
sideways?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I don't live where chains are normally (or legally) required, but there
certainly have been times when a little more traction would have been nice.

I stumbled upon this video that shows some alternatives to chains.
(Warning: it's 20 minutes long)

Does anyone know a video player that would play in fast forward, like a
VCR?

While viewing a video in youtube, click the Gear in the lower right
corner (Settings) You should see a Speed options with choices from
..25x to 2x. Caveat: it is not available during Ads, just the actual
video.

The availability of the option may be limited by your browser, but it's there
in Chrome and IE, at least on my machines.

One that would play in reverse would be nice though that might
be technically more difficult, but one that at least has a 10, 20, 30
second rewind would be nice and not hard to do It's been 20 years, I
think, that the player in Youtube has been around and it's not been
improved.

You do know that you can drag the "dot" backwards to rewind, right? But I
agree, a button to rewind some amount of seconds would be nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chrLCKzAVVg

The Snow Socks look interesting; there's even a similar product made by
Michelin, which I guess gives the concept some credibility. There are also

I don't know why it would have more traction than the tires?

Because of the coarser material that the socks are made from and the fact
that they won't(?) get packed with snow. In the case of the Michelin
product, it's more of a corded matrix with metal rings at each junction.
I guess that not really a "sock", more like a fishnet stocking.

Squirrel

I like the way the line runs up the back of the stockings.
I've always liked those kind of high heels too. You know, I...
No no no no, don't take 'em off, don't take... Leave 'em on,
leave 'em on.

Van Halen - Everybody Wants Some!!

/Squirrel

individual "traction strips" that go through the wheel and wrap around
the tire perpendicular to the treads.

My concern with the sock type is that all the installation instructions seem
to indicate that you need to move vehicle forward just a bit to finish
the installation. Maybe just rolling the *wheel* itself, i.e. slipping it
a 1/4 turn on the ice, is enough,

Without the engine? I don't think you'll be able to turn the wheel.

Of course not "without the engine". Picture the wheel spinning on the ice, not moving forward when the accelerator is pressed. The sock goes over 3/4 of the
wheel, then the accelerator is depressed just enough to "slip" the wheel on
the ice. Hopefully the sock moves with the tire so that the remaining 1/4
can be put on. It would take a delicate touch which some might not be able
to accomplish.

The way to do this is to make a line note one yard from the car seat in
the snow, or if there's less snow, some landmark on the ground, and
another mark by the driver;s door. Open the driver's door and drive
until that first mark is where the second mark was. And you'll know
youve gone a yard (or use whatever is half the circumference.)

You are assuming that the vehicle can actually move forward. That's my point.
If the tire is spinning in place on ice, the vehicle may not move. Again,
hopefully the sock will stay on the tire when the tire rotates that 1/4 to 1/2
turn so that the rest of the sock can be slipped over the rest of the tire.

assuming you don't spin the sock right off
of the tire. Of course, everything works perfectly in the video.

Has anyone tried any of the "chain alternatives", especially to get
out of a stuck situation where the tires just spin and/or slide
sideways?

I had a couple of the "traction strip" style that I kept in the trunk
for about 20 years until they broke when I bent them. Never needed
them.

She uses 8 on one wheel but I would think one or two would be enough to
get you out of a rut.

All-plastic ones you could just drive until they wore out and fell off.

Litter bug.

I note that he claims they're endorsed by a bunch of makers, but no
American companies, Feh.

My father in 1955 left behind a pair of things, looking like a metal rod
rectangle, bent up 4" from each end, so that they were the two most
popular tire widths. (Think about it.) They were meant to be put on
when one was stuck, just to get you out of the problem. I carried them
around for 10 years and never used them, until I think tire width
changed and they woudln't fit anymore. I have been stuck a couple
times in the snow but I got out by shoveling and/or rocking, and once in
the sand, when I had to be towed out by a nearby fisherman.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2016 06:58 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
You are assuming that the vehicle can actually move forward. That's my point.
If the tire is spinning in place on ice, the vehicle may not move. Again,
hopefully the sock will stay on the tire when the tire rotates that 1/4 to 1/2
turn so that the rest of the sock can be slipped over the rest of the tire.

You can always jack the tire up. I've never used snow socks but
sometimes that the fastest way to get a conventional chain mounted
properly.

Fortunately this state allows studs and they've worked well for me. I've
hung enough iron in my life and don't need any more practice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote:
On 12/28/2016 06:58 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
You are assuming that the vehicle can actually move forward. That's
my point. If the tire is spinning in place on ice, the vehicle may
not move. Again, hopefully the sock will stay on the tire when the
tire rotates that 1/4 to 1/2 turn so that the rest of the sock can
be slipped over the rest of the tire.

You can always jack the tire up. I've never used snow socks but
sometimes that the fastest way to get a conventional chain mounted
properly.

Fortunately this state allows studs and they've worked well for me.
I've hung enough iron in my life and don't need any more practice.

I jacked up my (yard) tractor and put the chains on a few days ago and
there wasn't even any snow ... but then its only task in the winter is
plowing the ice/snow off the gravel road so we can get to the (sometimes)
unplowed highway . Depending on the severity of the storm and how pressing
the need to go somewhere I might put the chains on the SUV too . Sometimes
it will take 3-4 days before the county gets out to plow our road ...
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman posted for all of us...

On 12/28/2016 06:58 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
You are assuming that the vehicle can actually move forward. That's my point.
If the tire is spinning in place on ice, the vehicle may not move. Again,
hopefully the sock will stay on the tire when the tire rotates that 1/4 to 1/2
turn so that the rest of the sock can be slipped over the rest of the tire.

You can always jack the tire up. I've never used snow socks but
sometimes that the fastest way to get a conventional chain mounted
properly.

Fortunately this state allows studs and they've worked well for me. I've
hung enough iron in my life and don't need any more practice.

I'm sure you have. Then there are the drivers passing through PA that get
stuck. I can never figure out what classification to give them. A) No
chains, B) Chains but only used 1) Never or 2) Don't know how or 3) Too lazy
or 4) Incompetent.

--
Tekkie

Snow November 2014 Buffalo, NY - Snow 2.jpg Nova Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 November 27th 14 11:47 PM
Snow Chains polygonum UK diy 112 November 24th 12 10:41 AM
Snow-shovel; snow sticks to it: how to make slippery? David Combs Home Repair 27 January 4th 10 08:05 AM
snow, and the sound of snow dougreed Electronics Repair 4 August 9th 06 02:42 AM
WAY OT - HOW TO MAKE SNOW AND BUILD A HOMEMADE SNOW GUN J T Woodworking 0 August 6th 04 06:41 AM