Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Credit card charging

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 00:35:29 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 00:11:02 -0500, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 26 Dec 2016 23:36:32 -0500, micky
wrote:

Depends what bank handles the card. Some are AWFUL and I would never
deal with them, even as a brick and mortar bank.

Good chance your debit card had the same hold too, but you may not have
seen it.

By it's very nature, a Debit card has no hold because it takes the
money out of your account "immediately"

I agree, except that if the debit card people can decide how much I
really spent on gas, the CC people should be able to too. They usually
work for the same company.

So maybe they too take out 85 and then put back 54? But there's that
problem again. What if you only have $35 left in the debit card and you
need 34 dollars of gas? Are they going to refuse to let you get it? and
if the DC can handle this, whyy not the CC.

I was up to 3 questions so I called and she said the hold is put on the
by the store, not them (I guess that's obvious now that she said it) and
siad if I were down to my last 30 dollars I should pay in the store
instead of at the pump. They can put it through for 34 and then limit
the sale to 34. I hope I'm never down to my last 35 dollars. Even on
that trip in 1971, I never got that low, and I only started with 400..

I didnt' ask about debit cards, and she might not have known, but it
seems to me it would be the same.

I don't run that tight but I bet you can go in and put $20 or whatever
on the pump and that is all they will take from the account.

Correct.. At least that's how "pay at the pump" works here. "pay in
advance" or "pay before pumping" in the states may work differently,
particularly if the payment machine isn't linked to the pump to shut
it off at the amount paid for. Virtually all "pay at the pump" setups
here are live connected to the credit card company over the internet
at all times and work in "real time" - not "batch processing mode"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 16:51:55 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 12/26/2016 10:42 PM, wrote:

Good chance your debit card had the same hold too, but you may not have
seen it.

By it's very nature, a Debit card has no hold because it takes the
money out of your account "immediately"

They put a hold on for gas at some places. If you have $20 in your
account and pump $30 in gas there would be a problem.

Except at least here in Canada, the technology at gas stations
controls the pump making it totally IMPOSSIBLE to pump more than you
paid for. Don't know how it works in some of the American backwaters.

I've seen the notification over the years, but don't recall where. BTW,
restaurants do that too, putting in enough hold to cover a tip. Your
hotel and car rental company will do the same.

Never seen a restaurant do it, but around here we don't have to
prepay at restaurants

Sure, you do, sort of. When the restaurant runs your card for the bill,
the have it approved for a lager amount as you will probably add a tip.
They add about 25% and adjust after you sign.

Nope, not with the more advanced Canadian banking system. They come to
your table with the credit / debit card machine, and you pay the bill,
including adding the tip if you want to, and either sign it right
there, or in most cases now enter your PIN for the chip-card, and it's
all done - virtually instantly.

We don't have a lot of "dine and dash" situations where people leave
without paying their bills. In areas where that happens, and in fast
food restaurants, you pay before you get your food - and no tips are
expected. If you choose to tip, it is usually in cash
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 17:17:15 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 12/27/2016 12:35 AM, wrote:

I didnt' ask about debit cards, and she might not have known, but it
seems to me it would be the same.

I don't run that tight but I bet you can go in and put $20 or whatever
on the pump and that is all they will take from the account.

If you go in and prepay it should be that way. At the pump is a
different story.

http://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/d...ebit-card-hold
http://budgeting.thenest.com/problem...mps-23710.html
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...mp-091416.html

At the pump in Canada it is the same - your card is "pre-authorized"
for a certain amount - the card is "locked" so no other transaction
that could excede your card limit can occur before the current
transaction is finished, and the account is released with the actual
amount charged to your card as soon as the transaction is finished
(the pump shut off by you, or the maximum authorized purchace reached)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 21:28:50 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 12/27/2016 6:50 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

My debit card has the ability to authorize payment if you don't have
enough cash in your checking account. This is tied to a savings account
but you are charged a 'convenience fee' for this feature which I *think*
is $12.50.

I eliminated that. I'd rather be denied than spend an extra $12.50.

Some banks provide overdraft protection at no extra cost on some
accounts. They likely pay a little less interest on your deposit, but
when is the last time you got any reasonable interest on a bank
account???
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Good chance your debit card had the same hold too, but you may not have
seen it.

By it's very nature, a Debit card has no hold because it takes the
money out of your account "immediately"

They put a hold on for gas at some places. If you have $20 in your
account and pump $30 in gas there would be a problem.

Except at least here in Canada, the technology at gas stations
controls the pump making it totally IMPOSSIBLE to pump more than you
paid for. Don't know how it works in some of the American backwaters.

I would go in and discuss it with the gas station, and even complain,
except,

a) the guy there won't know anything about it.
b) if I get a stupid answer, I'll get angry.
c) just as I never get down to zero I can make sure I never get down to
50.
d) I'm happy they are finally printing receipts. Several times over
weeks the pump had no paper or something, and I was about to complain
about that. But it seems to be fixed.

Micky