Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Credit card charging

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 00:35:29 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 00:11:02 -0500, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 26 Dec 2016 23:36:32 -0500, micky
wrote:

Depends what bank handles the card. Some are AWFUL and I would never
deal with them, even as a brick and mortar bank.

Good chance your debit card had the same hold too, but you may not have
seen it.

By it's very nature, a Debit card has no hold because it takes the
money out of your account "immediately"

I agree, except that if the debit card people can decide how much I
really spent on gas, the CC people should be able to too. They usually
work for the same company.

So maybe they too take out 85 and then put back 54? But there's that
problem again. What if you only have $35 left in the debit card and you
need 34 dollars of gas? Are they going to refuse to let you get it? and
if the DC can handle this, whyy not the CC.

I was up to 3 questions so I called and she said the hold is put on the
by the store, not them (I guess that's obvious now that she said it) and
siad if I were down to my last 30 dollars I should pay in the store
instead of at the pump. They can put it through for 34 and then limit
the sale to 34. I hope I'm never down to my last 35 dollars. Even on
that trip in 1971, I never got that low, and I only started with 400..

I didnt' ask about debit cards, and she might not have known, but it
seems to me it would be the same.

I don't run that tight but I bet you can go in and put $20 or whatever
on the pump and that is all they will take from the account.

Correct.. At least that's how "pay at the pump" works here. "pay in
advance" or "pay before pumping" in the states may work differently,
particularly if the payment machine isn't linked to the pump to shut
it off at the amount paid for. Virtually all "pay at the pump" setups
here are live connected to the credit card company over the internet
at all times and work in "real time" - not "batch processing mode"