Posted to alt.home.repair

Default They changed the formula for Brasso!

Apparenly around 2009. I bought a new bottle (plastic now vs. the older
metal), and am truly dissapointed because IT NO LONGER WORKS.

The formula is water-based with ammonia, vs. the old petroleum-based
formula. The new stuff appears to have the micro silica granules because
there did appear to be major sedimentation in the bottle. It is no longer
listed as an ingredient, probably because it is not toxic.

I'm not sure if they changed the granule size, but the new product does NOT
immediately produce black copper oxide the same way as the old formula.

Of course, my goal here is not simply to whine. Altough whining is a
component of the set of my reasons for being here, I would also like to ask
if anyone knows if a suitable substitute in available. Is it also possible
to buy microcrystalline silica (or carborundum, etc.)? I have Varsol, and I
know how to use it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 15:17:46 -0500, Mike Duffy
wrote:

[...]

You'll have to experiment now. The old days, when you knew what
worked and could get it, are gone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 20:06:45 -0600, Vic Smith wrote:

You'll have to experiment now. The old days, when you knew what
worked and could get it, are gone.

Since posting previously, I have been thinking about the non-toxic
insecticide diatomaceous earth, which is mostly silica.

Toothepaste also seems to be a likely candidate. I'll followup after
experimenting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 23:15:41 -0500, Mike Duffy
wrote:

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 20:06:45 -0600, Vic Smith wrote:

You'll have to experiment now. The old days, when you knew what
worked and could get it, are gone.

Since posting previously, I have been thinking about the non-toxic
insecticide diatomaceous earth, which is mostly silica.

Toothepaste also seems to be a likely candidate. I'll followup after
experimenting.

Brasso was never the best anyway. The Navy provided it for polishing
brass/copper, but there was something called Glow which worked much
better. It was a paste that came in a tube. But you had to buy it.
That was 50 years ago.
You might try a headlight lens restorer. I used Blue Magic with
success on my lenses, and it might work on brass/copper.
But toothpaste might work too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 20:06:45 -0600, Vic Smith wrote:

You'll have to experiment now. The old days, when you knew what
worked and could get it, are gone.

Since posting previously, I have been thinking about the non-toxic
insecticide diatomaceous earth, which is mostly silica.

Toothepaste also seems to be a likely candidate. I'll followup after
experimenting.

Brasso was never the best anyway. The Navy provided it for polishing
brass/copper, but there was something called Glow which worked much
better. It was a paste that came in a tube. But you had to buy it.
That was 50 years ago.
You might try a headlight lens restorer. I used Blue Magic with
success on my lenses, and it might work on brass/copper.
But toothpaste might work too.

I believe Tarn-X has a brass formula now.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/16/2016 02:17 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
[...]

When I was in the Army we used Brasso all the time and I was never
particularly impressed with it.

Maybe the new formula was made to make our soldiers use even more muscle
power to get their brass shiny.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 17, 2016 at 11:19:27 AM UTC-8, philo wrote:
[...]

I have used picante hot sauce on copper and brass with good results.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-12-17, philo wrote:

On 12/16/2016 02:17 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:

Apparenly around 2009. I bought a new bottle (plastic now vs. the older
metal), and am truly dissapointed because IT NO LONGER WORKS.

I never thought it did!

I was in the USAF ('66-'70) and was in the fire dept. Talk about brass!

When I was in USAF basic, we did not have Brasso. So, our TI (DI) told
us to staal a couple bottles of Lousiana Hot Sauce from the mess hall
and we used that to polish the brass latrine fixtures in our ancient
WWII barracks.

A yr later, when I was actually assigned to a fire dept (Wheelus AFB,
Libya N, Africa), I could finally afford some real Brasso, so bought a
can. The crap didn't work any better than the hot sauce. I tossed
the Brasso and never bought any, ever again. No kidding.

I think what actually polishes the brass is plain ol' elbow grease.
Rub hard enough and I think even water will polish brass.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/17/2016 02:43 PM, notbob wrote:
On 2016-12-17, philo wrote:

[...]

That's the impression I got too
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Mike Duffy, Charles Howell wrote:
I have had the same experience. The new brasso in the plastic bottle does not
work at all on brass. It produces a dull finish, not the shiny sparkly finish
the old brasso produced. I am so ****ed i can't even tell you. I wonder what
the army guys have to say about it.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...o-1118232-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Charles Howell, thegalaxybeing wrote:
I noticed the change and Brasso is a poor imitation of what it used to be,
Besides metal polish, it used to be great for making plastic watch crystals,
plastic coin holders, some sunglasses sparkle like brand new. now it puts
hundreds of tiny visible scratches on the surface. in others words, the the
abrasive ingredient is also different. Not even close. Thet might as well quit
making Brasso altogether. True Brasso NO LONGER EXISTS!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...o-1118232-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 20:44:02 GMT, thegalaxybeing wrote:

Brasso is a poor imitation of what it used to be,

Agree. As a replacement, I mix diatometous earth with machine oil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 17:50:10 -0400, Mike_Duffy wrote:

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 20:44:02 GMT, thegalaxybeing wrote:

Brasso is a poor imitation of what it used to be,

Agree. As a replacement, I mix diatometous earth with machine oil.

What is "machine oil"?

--
croy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/19/2018 12:54 PM, croy wrote:
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 17:50:10 -0400, Mike_Duffy wrote:

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 20:44:02 GMT, thegalaxybeing wrote:

Brasso is a poor imitation of what it used to be,

Agree. As a replacement, I mix diatometous earth with machine oil.

What is "machine oil"?

Sometimes I hear old people saying just 'machine' for a sewing machine.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"By the year 2000 we will, I hope, raise our children to believe in
human potential, not God..." [Gloria Steinem, Saturday Review of
Education, March 1973]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 10:54:37 -0700, croy wrote:

What is "machine oil"?

Petroleum-based, but without additives for use in internal-combustion
engines. (i.e. Tradename "3-in-one")

In this case, probably engine additives won't make any difference. You
could also use mineral oil. Add petroleum jelly or varsol to adjust
viscosity.

Diatometous earth is sold as non-toxic contact insecticide. The granules
are just the right size to jam exoskeleton joints.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 21:05:31 -0400, Mike_Duffy wrote:

Diatometous earth is sold as non-toxic contact insecticide. The granules
are just the right size to jam exoskeleton joints.

I'm having trouble getting my head around the idea of "non-toxic insecticide". It sounds very
ineffective to me.

--
croy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Diatometous earth is sold as non-toxic contact insecticide. The
granules are just the right size to jam exoskeleton joints.

I'm having trouble getting my head around the idea of "non-toxic
insecticide". It sounds very ineffective to me.

Diatomaceous earth is comprised of the fossilized skeletons of diatoms.
It is safe and technically non-toxic, but it should not be inhaled into
your lungs. It is used in toothpaste and added to animal feed to help
control parasites.

As an insecticide, it works by abrading the exoskeletons of insects and
by clogging the spiracles they utilize for breathing.

DE is very a very effective and safe insecticide, particularly in dry
environments. It is great for dusting fruit trees, roses, etc. It is
also very effective for combating fleas both on your animals and inside
your home if you have carpet. Sprinkle it around and use a stiff broom
to brush it into the nap of the carpet.

Food grade DE is even used to treat intestinal parasites in humans. DE
is one of those miracle products that doesn't get enough attention by
most consumers.

Just remember to use a dust mask when working with it in a concentrated
form.

tap formula Karl Townsend Metalworking 10 September 8th 13 02:24 PM
Formula 1 on 19.2E F[_2_] UK diy 12 May 22nd 13 11:28 PM
You changed it, right? Red Green Home Repair 4 January 6th 09 02:57 AM
How to tell if oil needs to be changed? Toller Home Repair 17 October 15th 06 11:21 PM
Brass and Brasso The Reid UK diy 22 May 19th 06 11:07 PM