Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Costco Sams rant

Per Taxed and Spent:
those are probably the same people who finally make it to the front of
the entrance line and THEN open their purse and start fishing around for
their Costco card.

Something around lack of consciousness about being in a share
environment.

I see them at the boat ramps all the time: 3 people waiting, one guy
pulls his boat out, stays on the ramp, cleans stuff up, rearranges
equipment, and so-forth. Yank the damn boat and get off the ramp!...

Ditto the gym.... I'm starting to see more and more people just sitting
on machines between sets. I suspect one or more of the trainers there
is pushing the idea of multiple sets. Do your set, get off the
machine, rest, and then get back on to do the next set. I can do my
reps three times while one of those bozos is sitting there resting.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/3/2016 8:29 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Taxed and Spent:
those are probably the same people who finally make it to the front of
the entrance line and THEN open their purse and start fishing around for
their Costco card.

Something around lack of consciousness about being in a share
environment.

I see them at the boat ramps all the time: 3 people waiting, one guy
pulls his boat out, stays on the ramp, cleans stuff up, rearranges
equipment, and so-forth. Yank the damn boat and get off the ramp!...

Ditto the gym.... I'm starting to see more and more people just sitting
on machines between sets. I suspect one or more of the trainers there
is pushing the idea of multiple sets. Do your set, get off the
machine, rest, and then get back on to do the next set. I can do my
reps three times while one of those bozos is sitting there resting.

The other day there was a guy at a busy gas station. He finished
pumping, then did not move away from the pump as he used the squeegee to
wash his car. ALL the windows. The hood. probably more, but I left.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Taxed and Spent:
Ditto the gym.... I'm starting to see more and more people just sitting
on machines between sets. I suspect one or more of the trainers there
is pushing the idea of multiple sets. Do your set, get off the
machine, rest, and then get back on to do the next set. I can do my
reps three times while one of those bozos is sitting there resting.

The other day there was a guy at a busy gas station. He finished
pumping, then did not move away from the pump as he used the squeegee to
wash his car. ALL the windows. The hood. probably more, but I left.

There has to be a term-of-art for that stuff among psych people.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 12:15:49 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 17:29:08 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Friday, December 2, 2016 at 8:09:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 12:36:05 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Friday, December 2, 2016 at 3:31:56 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 15:04:14 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

On 12/01/2016 03:55 PM, wrote:

Why don't they have an express line at the food counter for people who
actually bought something from the store. I was standing there with
$850 worth of stuff in my cart and there were 30 people in the food
line, most who just walked straight in off the street, for a cheap
lunch. I just left hungry.

The 30 people "who just walked straight in off the street" might have
been planning to have lunch *before* doing their major shopping.

Perce

No it is a steady stream. I know because my father in law is one of
those people. These folks start at McDonalds for senior coffee, lunch
at the price club and then catch the early bird for dinner.,
They do not even make sure these people are paid up members at Sams or
Costco. If you have a 20 year old card with someone else's name on it,
you can get in and you do not show your card at the food court.
I think you could waive your AARP card and they would let you in.

We should build a wall and have BJ's pay for it. ;-)

The funny thing about that is they all have a wall in front of the
registers in the store. If you don't scan a valid card, you can't buy
anything except the cheap food they will sell people without a card.

A wall? What kind of wall?

BJ's has no wall. Anyone can enter the store and browse. You just can't
check out without a card.

The "food court" at the front of the store requires no card.

It sounds like a flawed business plan to me.

I don't know how "flawed" the business plan is. How many people actually
go to a wholesale club just to eat? Even if lots of people do, I'm sure
the profit margin is high enough for it not to be a problem (for them).
In addition, if they get just a few of them to join, they are that much
farther ahead.

You have to assume that if they are selling hot food at the food court
for barely more than it costs in the store raw, it is supposed to be a
service for the paying customers.

I would not make the leap that it is a "service" for paying customers.
If it was, then they would require a card like they do for the raw food.

The mere fact that they don't require a card means that it is open to the
general public.

Based on your assumption, would it be your assertion that if card holders
don't buy anything from the main store on any given day they shouldn't be
allowed to buy food on that day either?

If that is not your assertion (and I'm not saying that it is) then aren't
we back to it being a member vs. non-member issue? IOW, if you, as a "paying
customer" by virtue of having paid for your membership should be allowed
to buy food at any time, then that puts it into the "services offered to the
members only" category, which obviously the store has chosen not to do.

I'm not sure that reads the way I mean it...

Basically, it's gets down to whether or not members should be the only ones
allowed to use the food counter. Since the store does not require a card for
food purchases, then it seems like they don't consider it as anything other
than a "general use food court" or maybe a loss-leader to attract new
members.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/3/2016 9:16 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 3:55:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Why don't they have an express line at the food counter for people who
actually bought something from the store. I was standing there with
$850 worth of stuff in my cart and there were 30 people in the food
line, most who just walked straight in off the street, for a cheap
lunch. I just left hungry.

How about an express checkout line for that matter? For people who
only have 6 things?

Our local Costco used to have a self-service checkout for people with
the Costco/Amex credit card. It was the fastest way to get your stuff
and get the hell out of the store. They got rid of it, I suppose
because since every Visa card is now accepted, just about everybody
could/would use it.

The store/parking lot is almost always mobbed, so I can't see most
people making the effort to get in there only to grab a $1.50 hot dog
and soft drink or other cheap deal. Not worth the aggro.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 11:28:29 AM UTC-5, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 12/3/2016 9:16 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 3:55:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Why don't they have an express line at the food counter for people who
actually bought something from the store. I was standing there with
$850 worth of stuff in my cart and there were 30 people in the food
line, most who just walked straight in off the street, for a cheap
lunch. I just left hungry.

How about an express checkout line for that matter? For people who
only have 6 things?

Our local Costco used to have a self-service checkout for people with
the Costco/Amex credit card. It was the fastest way to get your stuff
and get the hell out of the store. They got rid of it, I suppose
because since every Visa card is now accepted, just about everybody
could/would use it.

I don't see why the acceptance of more cards would cause them to eliminate
the self-service lane. It seems like they would want to *add* self-service
lanes to cut down on labor costs.

All the BJ's in my area have multiple self-service lanes, maybe as many as
staffed lanes. There is always at least one person at a podium, sometimes 2,
ready to help out if there an issue with a self-service lane, just like Home
Depot, Lowes, etc.

The store/parking lot is almost always mobbed, so I can't see most
people making the effort to get in there only to grab a $1.50 hot dog
and soft drink or other cheap deal. Not worth the aggro.

Now that I kind of agree with. The BJ's near me are always in the back of
large lots, sort of off the beaten path. While some folks might go there
just for the cuisine, I sure wouldn't make a dedicated trip just to eat. Of course, about the only thing I think I've ever bought at a BJ's food counter
is a pretzel to tide me over until I can get to a real meal.

They just opened the first Costco near me, but we won't be joining mainly
because of the location. We are much closer to a BJ's than the Costco. In
addition, of the 3 BJ's in our area, 2 of them are in areas that we
frequent for other reasons. They are convenient for both scheduled shopping
trips and quick drop ins for a few items or gas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Dec 2016 10:28:24 -0600, Moe DeLoughan
wrote:

[...]

Maybe you just don't live in a place with so many bored seniors. My
FIL's day is Go to McDonalds for cheap coffee and talk to his friends
there. Then go to the mall and walk around for a couple hours. Then go
to a big box for a hot dog or a slice of pizza. Then go home for his
soap and the doctor shows. Then he catches an early bird dinner and it
is bed time.
This or something similar is a very popular lifestyle here for people
who do not play golf or fish.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Moe DeLoughan formulated the question :
[...]

Didn't ever have that here, never got to miss it. I did get my stuff
checked and put in my ride though. I think that is more valuable that
having to scan all your stuff and bag it and put in your truck, don't
you think?