Posted to alt.home.repair

Default craftsmen lawnmower only runs for a few seconds and then dies

I have a craftsmen 5.5 horse power lawnmower.

It starts up only when I spray starter fluid into the carb from the air filter side and then dies in a few seconds.

I removed the carburetor and cleaned the bottom portion which had a lot of yellow gunk build up. I cleaned the little holes in the bottom screw and removed the gunk. I am not sure how to break apart the carburetor so I just put it back after rinsing it in fuel.

I also replaced the air filter.

it starts when I spray starter fluid and then dies.

I thought it was a fuel delivery problem, but when I removed the carburetor I noticed fuel coming out from the carb as I had not disconnected the fuel line, so I am not sure if that is the cause.

Any ideas ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 10:25:47 AM UTC-6, Uday Vallamsetty wrote:
I have a craftsmen 5.5 horse power lawnmower.

It starts up only when I spray starter fluid into the carb from the air filter side and then dies in a few seconds.

I removed the carburetor and cleaned the bottom portion which had a lot of yellow gunk build up. I cleaned the little holes in the bottom screw and removed the gunk. I am not sure how to break apart the carburetor so I just put it back after rinsing it in fuel.

I also replaced the air filter.

it starts when I spray starter fluid and then dies.

I thought it was a fuel delivery problem, but when I removed the carburetor I noticed fuel coming out from the carb as I had not disconnected the fuel line, so I am not sure if that is the cause.

Any ideas ?

You can often purchase a new carb for a mower cheaper and for less hassle than rebuilding one. It depends how much you believe your time is worth. I obtained a new carb for my housemates Sears mower several years ago for less than $25 which I considered less expensive than my time to frak with the carb on the mower. Make sure you cross reference the correct carb for your mower but here is one example in the link below.

https://www.amazon.com/Carburetor-Re.../dp/B009GSLERK

[8~{} Uncle Carb Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Carb cleaner from an auto repair parts store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 08:25:44 -0800 (PST), wrote:

it starts when I spray starter fluid and then dies.

Your best bet is to just go buy a new lawnmower. You have already washed
away all lubricants on the cylinder walls, valves, and so on, using that
"starter fluid". If you use it a few more times, you will blow that
engine into the next county, and will not only have to buy a new mower,
but you will have to clean up the pieces of your current mower.

Starting fluid is made for very occasional (ONE TIME) use on large
engines, such as a car, truck, or tractor. It's NOT made for small
engines.

If you do want to fix that engine and have not already ruined it, take a
pump oiler can, fill it with gasoline, and shoot a few squirts of gas
into the carb rather than using that dangerous and destructive "starting
fluid".

Since you have already removed all the lube from that engine cylinder,
I'd suggest mixing a teaspoon of motor oil into that pump oiler can,
with the gas. This will allow you to operate the engine for a few
seconds each time you spray that into the throat of the carb.

You probably have a stuck float in that carb. So, gas is not getting
into the bowl on the bottom of it. With the carb off the engine, remove
the bowl on the bottom of it. Make sure the float and float valve move
easily. Spray with carb cleaner, wipe out the bowl, and try it again. If
you ruin the gasket on the bowl, you will need to buy a carb kit and
replace all the gaskets (rebuild the carb). If you dont think you can do
it, (it's not all that hard). Look on ebay for a NEW carb. Sometimes a
new carb is cheaper than a kit.

I have an old Stihl chainsaw, the carb was not working. The kit cost
$18, plus $5 for a can of carb cleaner, and an hour of my time. I bought
a new carb for that saw on ebay for $14 (shipping included). All I had
to do was mount it on the engine, tweak the mixture and idle screws, and
I had a working engine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a craftsmen 5.5 horse power lawnmower.
It starts up only when I spray starter fluid into the carb

from the air filter side and then dies in a few seconds.
Any ideas ?

When my Deere did that, I discovered that the air bleed hole in the
gas cap was plugged. A little spray cleaner and a couple of compressed
air blasts fixed it.
-dan z-

Are you suggesting that fuel tank vacuum is the problem
that is described above ? Really ?
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 12:20:08 PM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I bought a new carb for my Honda mower about 4 years back. I felt the same way
as you. $25 for a plug-and-play carb vs. $10 for rebuilding the existing one.
Turns out the problem was just bad gas so I tossed the carb on the shelf.

When the mower started to run really bad earlier this year even with brand
new gas and spray-cleaned carb, I decided to throw the new carb on. 30
minutes later and she was running like new.

Some things are cheap enough that it's not worth spending a little less but
having to waste time doing more work.

Cousin Plug-And-Play Monster