Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default craftsmen lawnmower only runs for a few seconds and then dies

On Fri, 02 Dec 2016 09:15:18 -0500, wrote:

I have a craftsmen 5.5 horse power lawnmower.
It starts up only when I spray starter fluid into the carb

from the air filter side and then dies in a few seconds.
Any ideas ?

When my Deere did that, I discovered that the air bleed hole in the
gas cap was plugged. A little spray cleaner and a couple of compressed
air blasts fixed it.
-dan z-

Are you suggesting that fuel tank vacuum is the problem
that is described above ? Really ?
John T.

A clogged fuel cap vent can cause the vacuum and fuel starvation.
Clear it with a paper clip or loosen the cap and the engine would run.
Seems the OP has an air / fuel mixture problem at the carb, though.
Could be the venturi jets in the carb throat or the OP didn't clean
the carb good enough.

The OP has went Houdini on the thread :-)