Posted to alt.home.repair
slate_leeper slate_leeper is offline

Default craftsmen lawnmower only runs for a few seconds and then dies

On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 08:25:44 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I have a craftsmen 5.5 horse power lawnmower.

It starts up only when I spray starter fluid into the carb from the air filter side and then dies in a few seconds.

I removed the carburetor and cleaned the bottom portion which had a lot of yellow gunk build up. I cleaned the little holes in the bottom screw and removed the gunk. I am not sure how to break apart the carburetor so I just put it back after rinsing it in fuel.

I also replaced the air filter.

it starts when I spray starter fluid and then dies.

I thought it was a fuel delivery problem, but when I removed the carburetor I noticed fuel coming out from the carb as I had not disconnected the fuel line, so I am not sure if that is the cause.

Any ideas ?

When my Deere did that, I discovered that the air bleed hole in the
gas cap was plugged. A little spray cleaner and a couple of compressed
air blasts fixed it.

-dan z-