Posted to alt.home.repair

Default craftsmen lawnmower only runs for a few seconds and then dies

On Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 10:25:47 AM UTC-6, Uday Vallamsetty wrote:
I have a craftsmen 5.5 horse power lawnmower.

It starts up only when I spray starter fluid into the carb from the air filter side and then dies in a few seconds.

I removed the carburetor and cleaned the bottom portion which had a lot of yellow gunk build up. I cleaned the little holes in the bottom screw and removed the gunk. I am not sure how to break apart the carburetor so I just put it back after rinsing it in fuel.

I also replaced the air filter.

it starts when I spray starter fluid and then dies.

I thought it was a fuel delivery problem, but when I removed the carburetor I noticed fuel coming out from the carb as I had not disconnected the fuel line, so I am not sure if that is the cause.

Any ideas ?

You can often purchase a new carb for a mower cheaper and for less hassle than rebuilding one. It depends how much you believe your time is worth. I obtained a new carb for my housemates Sears mower several years ago for less than $25 which I considered less expensive than my time to frak with the carb on the mower. Make sure you cross reference the correct carb for your mower but here is one example in the link below.

https://www.amazon.com/Carburetor-Re.../dp/B009GSLERK

[8~{} Uncle Carb Monster