Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Running a separate wire for grounding

Although I do not understand the reasoning for this code rule, I always
understood that if you have the old 2 prong outlets, fed from old cable,
which does not have a ground wire, that you can NOT run a single green
wire from the breaker box ground buss, to the ourlet(s), to ground them.
Yet, I saw someone suggest doing this on a blog. Of course blogs are
like this newsgroup, and are not always good information.

As I said, I think this rule is sort of senseless, because as long as
the added wire was of the same gauge, connected to the ground buss in
the panel, it would make safer wiring. Of course replacing the old cable
is the preferred method, that is not always possible without ripping a
house apart.

Just wondering if anyone has any further information about doing this?
Is this ever allowed for any reasons?

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the old wiring is in conduit(metal), I
have seen the conduit itself used as
the ground for the new three-holers.

I'm not sure what code has to say about
that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 7:42:34 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Although I do not understand the reasoning for this code rule, I always
understood that if you have the old 2 prong outlets, fed from old cable,
which does not have a ground wire, that you can NOT run a single green
wire from the breaker box ground buss, to the ourlet(s), to ground them.
Yet, I saw someone suggest doing this on a blog. Of course blogs are
like this newsgroup, and are not always good information.

As I said, I think this rule is sort of senseless, because as long as
the added wire was of the same gauge, connected to the ground buss in
the panel, it would make safer wiring. Of course replacing the old cable
is the preferred method, that is not always possible without ripping a
house apart.

Just wondering if anyone has any further information about doing this?
Is this ever allowed for any reasons?

Why do you think it is not allowed by code?

As far as I know, and this is as of 2013, when I asked a similar question,
a separate ground was allowed to be run to a junction box to supply a
ground that didn't exist, as opposed to running a new length of grounded
Romex.

Please cite the section of code that doesn't allow it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Although I do not understand the reasoning for this code rule, I always
understood that if you have the old 2 prong outlets, fed from old cable,
which does not have a ground wire, that you can NOT run a single green
wire from the breaker box ground buss, to the ourlet(s), to ground them.
Yet, I saw someone suggest doing this on a blog. Of course blogs are
like this newsgroup, and are not always good information.

As I said, I think this rule is sort of senseless, because as long as
the added wire was of the same gauge, connected to the ground buss in
the panel, it would make safer wiring. Of course replacing the old cable
is the preferred method, that is not always possible without ripping a
house apart.

Just wondering if anyone has any further information about doing this?
Is this ever allowed for any reasons?

Actually I think the code does allow a separate ground wire to be installed in order to ground non-grounded boxes and devices. However for the work involved to install the separate ground wire you might as well install a new cable with the ground wire in it.

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 06:41:33 -0600, wrote:

Although I do not understand the reasoning for this code rule, I always
understood that if you have the old 2 prong outlets, fed from old cable,
which does not have a ground wire, that you can NOT run a single green
wire from the breaker box ground buss, to the ourlet(s), to ground them.
Yet, I saw someone suggest doing this on a blog. Of course blogs are
like this newsgroup, and are not always good information.

As I said, I think this rule is sort of senseless, because as long as
the added wire was of the same gauge, connected to the ground buss in
the panel, it would make safer wiring. Of course replacing the old cable
is the preferred method, that is not always possible without ripping a
house apart.

Just wondering if anyone has any further information about doing this?
Is this ever allowed for any reasons?

You can run a separate grounding wire in old work but if it is smaller
than #6, it needs physical protection if it is not fished into a wall
cavity. I have seen a #6 solid run through attics and crawl spaces
with #12 drops going to the boxes in the walls but, as John says it is
almost as much work as totally rewiring. This was an historic
building.
There was a time 40 years or so ago that you could just run a wire to
any cold water pipe and be done. It is in the 75 code. I am not sure
exactly when that changed but it was gone in 87.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 7:42:34 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Although I do not understand the reasoning for this code rule, I always
understood that if you have the old 2 prong outlets, fed from old cable,
which does not have a ground wire, that you can NOT run a single green
wire from the breaker box ground buss, to the ourlet(s), to ground them.

That would depend on how you run that additional ground wire. As long
as it's compliant with code, eg not a 20 gauge wire run around the
whole house, it's OK.

Yet, I saw someone suggest doing this on a blog. Of course blogs are
like this newsgroup, and are not always good information.

As I said, I think this rule is sort of senseless,

There is no such rule.